A-4 Top Gun Adversary

16 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Gekko Graphics did a decal sheet in 48 scale, 48-003.

Try to research that, at least the graphics should be readily available on the web.

I believe that is the one you are referring to.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have that sheet, which has #56 in what I assume are the same colors but in a soft-edge pattern.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:18 PM, GreyGhost said:

I took this at Miramar in 1986.

IMG_20191206_211345_615.jpg.767a3d0679e91e8a745a7e486e1638ac.jpg

HTH

-Gregg

If I remember correctly, this jet does not have a refueling probe on the other side. The piping is all there, just no probe. Superscale did decals for this jet on one of their sheets. 48-315 or 316 maybe??? It has the scheme on the instruction sheet, but how accurate it is is anyone guess. Keep in mind that I'm going from memory here, and that's always a dangerous thing! HTH Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
On 12/10/2019 at 5:56 AM, f5guy said:

If I remember correctly, this jet does not have a refueling probe on the other side. The piping is all there, just no probe. Superscale did decals for this jet on one of their sheets. 48-315 or 316 maybe??? It has the scheme on the instruction sheet, but how accurate it is is anyone guess. Keep in mind that I'm going from memory here, and that's always a dangerous thing! HTH Fred K.

Thanks, I do have that sheet, but it appears to have 52 in the same scheme as 56.  I know I've seen a completed build of the Ferris scheme, but its driving me nuts that I can't find it again.

7 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Thanks, I do have that sheet, but it appears to have 52 in the same scheme as 56.  I know I've seen a completed build of the Ferris scheme, but its driving me nuts that I can't find it again.

I have an extensive adversary/aggressor slide and photo collection, and have never seen an A-4 in a Ferris scheme. It might have been a "what if" scheme that someone modeled. There were some F-5E's in both the Navy and USAF in Ferris splinter schemes though.

Also, Grey Ghost is correct..... #53 was the Scooter with no IFR probe, not #52 as I stated.

HTH< Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
12 hours ago, JEN722 said:

This one?

Jens

That probably is it. Nice, thanks.

22 hours ago, f5guy said:

I have an extensive adversary/aggressor slide and photo collection, and have never seen an A-4 in a Ferris scheme. It might have been a "what if" scheme that someone modeled. There were some F-5E's in both the Navy and USAF in Ferris splinter schemes though.

Also, Grey Ghost is correct..... #53 was the Scooter with no IFR probe, not #52 as I stated.

HTH< Fred K.

You're probably right. I've seen 52 mentioned as a Ferris scheme in other threads, so I was expecting a straight-line scheme.  Looks like I'll just go with 56.

Thanks everyone

12 hours ago, Camus272 said:

That probably is it. Nice, thanks.

You're probably right. I've seen 52 mentioned as a Ferris scheme in other threads, so I was expecting a straight-line scheme.  Looks like I'll just go with 56.

Thanks everyone

I think what's going on here is that the Ferris splinter schemes, and the Heater graded schemes are getting lumped together (as they often do) as the same scheme, when in fact, they're different. The A-4E that Jens so beautifully did is one of the Heater graded schemes. Topgun had three A-4E's in that scheme: 52, 53, & 56, and also F-5E's 41 & 43,  plus a couple of A-4E's in a variation of it. Reserve F-4S units VF-301 & VF-302 also used it, although for VF-302 the colors were reversed in order. Both units jets later went on to other Reserve F-4 units when they converted to the F-14A. VF-1 also had a Tomcat with this scheme. The USAF also had a very sharp looking T-38A in it.

The Ferris splinter scheme is completely different, and uses different shades of gray with a hard edge pattern. Topgun had one, and possibly two F-5E's  in this scheme for a short while, but no A-4's that I've ever seen documented. It was also used on a few T-38's, Tomcats and Phantoms, and USAF F-5E's and at least one F-15 (from Grey Ghost) as well, but again, didn't last long. The Heater graded scheme seemed to find much more acceptance, and was in use for considerably longer.

Below is a pic of one of the USAF F-5E's in the Ferris scheme. HTH, Fred K.

F-5E 74-1510 64th AS Ferris.jpg

Edited by f5guy
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

I'm doing a research about the colours used on Adversary aircrafts and what I have found so far is that the Ferris scheme included the FS-36375, FS-36307, FS-35237, and the FS-35164. Of course, you have to consider the fact that the colours' tonality (hue) changes depending on the location and time the picture was taken as well, on the film and print production.

Because, I'm trying to build an Adversary collection, I can say that choose a specific photo and try to replicate the colours' hues you see.

On 12/13/2019 at 4:37 PM, f5guy said:

Yup..... 58th TFW if I recall correctly? Fred K.

Looks like they did four F-15s...

I'm not positive but I think you're right about the unit Fred.

-Gregg

I'm always on the lookout for colours and markings. This made me to make a facebook page for which I hope to give modellers a short cut to colours of paint to be used of either Acrylics or enamels. Feel welcome to visit my site on facebook. it is called Aircraft Aircraft Color Base 

6f3526de3a4f78d63b3f13385beae3f8.jpg