1/48 - Mil Mi-24V/VP "Hind-E" by Zvezda - released

Zvezda is to release in 2020 a 1/48th Mil Mi-24V/VP "Hind-E" kit - ref. 4823

First 3D renders pictures in the new catalogue. 

Russian forums and posts from Zvezda representatives evoke a future Mi-24 family of kits D/V/P etc. A included? That's the question.  

Sources: 

https://vk.com/zvezdamodels?w=wall-29859496_2488861

https://www.facebook.com/Zvezda.ModelKits/photos/pcb.2042464635856330/2042462482523212/?type=3&theater

Xpz-Cxwd-TOM0.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by HomeBe
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/5/2019 at 10:09 AM, nachjager said:

Oh sheit, just when I paid a fortune to get some Cobra Company resin for my venerable Monogram MI-24  this news comes out, as usual. 😫🥺

I too have all the Cobra resin. I don't think it will be a waste as the Zvezda kit is a different version?

It is a different version, however to most folks they appear the same or close enough for just one Hind. I don’t think the A’s had the twist but the rest did. That is one thing no one has fixed in 1/48. 

If Z follows the 1/72 route, they will make all of them.

Not to rain on any parade, didn’t this version feature fixed undercarriage, a “disco ball” sensor starboard fuselage side of the guns, and the short wings with no hard point at the end? 

Edited by Newtonk
  • 1 month later...

Some fresh news from half an hour ago:

Zvezda 48th from here:

https://www.facebook.com/Zvezda.ModelKits/?ref=nf&hc_ref=ARQZh5ApyHGYeRqkk19eFzdjPM5Alv3ZthqugfBT03gsjTFMyA_L99Jlkg42GI0LupQ

Hey! Good news everyone! Box-art for our new Mi-24V/VP kit in 1/48 scale is ready!

the box art work is released.

s409zA7.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

If the kit is going to be of the quality and detail as for the 72nd scale version then I dare to say it will be THE kit of the Mi-24 in 48th. Most certainly geometrically, dimensionally and what concerns the fine detail everything was there on 72nd and all of it was taken from official blue prints. So this quarter scale should be a cracker!

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 weeks later...

If one follows the way Zvezda kits are released and what comes before it then I would say there is little time to waite for this bird.

Zvezda released some new CAD images

DOAyA3x.jpg

ki4BGpn.jpg

yBCUG8H.jpg

85OjQDU.jpg

9Bb9cOa.jpg

rphIOSD.jpg

VdfLv4V.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 weeks later...

On several forums there have been already some interesting opinions about the new 48th scale Zvezda Mi-24 Hind kit. People question the authenticity of the canopy shape, how bulged it is. Or not bulged enough in comparison to photos of the real aircraft.    : )    : )   : )

Yes, they are right, but only in the fact that we should look at the real helicopters to understand the shape!

I would not be able to say anything about the Russian production of the Hinds in Soviet factories. But I know a bit about the overhaul process during which the transparencies are changed. If it is justified, then even the laminated armour glass front panels are replaced also with spare ones. This is like this on all helicopters and in case of Hips and Hinds most East European air forces had their helicopters overhauled in Hungary.

Now what are the transparent parts made off? It is a special type of plexiglass. To give its curvature and bulge they are treated in a very conventional, age old way which is exactly the same as we modellers would produce a Vac-Formed canopy. Only the scale is a bit bigger and the costs are lots more. In a big oven (the size of half bus) the plexi is heated for given time at a very precise temperature. When it is ready it is taken out and put over a female template, a frame put over it to seal gaps at the edges and vacuum applied to shape the part.

A word about the female template. It is made of concrete, it is big and extremely heavy.  : )   The smooth concrete inner surface is covered with a special textile layer which does not mare the surface of the heated soft plexiglass. Still the plexi is drawn all the way to its bottom. The plexi engineer stops vacuum in time before plexi touches the bottom inner surface. Now this is not an exact space science. The gap at the bottom can be bigger or smaller, there is a + or - tolerance in this distance which is allowed by the designers. This results in clear parts which are each and every one of them individual and unique! This will result in a bulge which is bigger or smaller but still within the tolerance range.  

OK. So if they are all different how does this fit onto the helicopter metal frame of the transparent parts. Easy! The edges of the concrete female template are exact with little or no tolerance of any sort. The concrete template is perfect for keeping size. The frame put over the template insures that precise size and shape limits are kept for the plexi where it meets with the frame.

Just as with a simple kit Vac-Form parts the plexi used for the canopies is much bigger to give space for the hold down and inevitable wrinkles in corners/edges.  The true shape of the canopy is marked out on the new plexi and trimmed before instalation of the helicopter.

The procedure is more or less the same for all plexi surfaces.

Having taken part in several such moulding jobs for both Mi-24 and Mi-8/-17 I can say this is hard work but also great fun!  : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor   

If the kit has the twist and you don’t have to autorotate if you start it up, it’s a win over the Revell kit.

4 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

On several forums there have been already some interesting opinions about the new 48th scale Zvezda Mi-24 Hind kit. People question the authenticity of the canopy shape, how bulged it is. Or not bulged enough in comparison to photos of the real aircraft.    : )    : )   : )

Yes, they are right, but only in the fact that we should look at the real helicopters to understand the shape!

Having taken part in several such moulding jobs for both Mi-24 and Mi-8/-17 I can say this is hard work but also great fun!  : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor   

Very informative, thanks for sharing your knowledge Gabor!

Arnaud

4 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Very informative, thanks for sharing your knowledge Gabor!

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

Glad that I have been able to shed light on some details. Thanks for dropping in.

Will have a look if I have some photos of the moulding.

Well actually I have some original plexi from the Hind : )  : )   but I am not sure if have ever made any photos of it.

Best regards

Gabor