1/48 - Sukhoi Su-57 "Felon" by Zvezda - released

3 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Their's always Kittyhawk!

One thing I have to add. Zvezda kit cost around $30 USD in the country of origin.

GWH if it follows their Su-27 price range it'll cost around $60-70 USD

Kittyhawk if it follows their recent trend it'll cost $79 and sure it'll have all the detail you want but like always there's gonna be a glaring error somewhere or overengineered ill-fitting parts.

For the price set by Zvezda and as a base kit for build up from, it still offers more value than Sh!ttyhawk.

5 hours ago, Solo said:

Guys - have you got any good pictures of that aircraft? I wish to find something about cockpit, wheel bays and overall surface of the hull - maybe it is possible to make good model out of that kit?

As for the lack of detail in the kit.

The nose landing gear bay, show me a good photo of its interior in the real plane.

Same with the weapons bay which the modelers demanded Zvezda to include. They caved and time will tell if they did the right thing or if like the old Italeri F-22 it's all ficticious and doesn't stand to scrutiny and future close up photographs when they surface.

Just like you're asking for references photos, haven't you though Zvezda intentionally avoided adding some of those details, weapons bay aside, because of lack of references?

Edited by Inquisitor
31 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

One thing I have to add. Zvezda kit cost around $30 USD in the country of origin.

Kittyhawk if it follows their recent trend it'll cost $79 and sure it'll have all the detail you want but like always there's gonna be a glaring error somewhere or overengineered ill-fitting parts.

For the price set by Zvezda and as a base kit for build up from, it still offers more value than Sh!ttyhawk.

The nose landing gear bay, show me a good photo of its interior in the real plane.

Same with the weapons bay which the modelers demanded Zvezda to include. They caved and time will tell if they did the right thing or if like the old Italeri F-22 it's all ficticious and doesn't stand to scrutiny and future close up photographs when they surface.

Oh my!

2 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Just like you're asking for references photos, haven't you though Zvezda intentionally avoided adding some of those details, weapons bay aside, because of lack of references?

If you see the pictures, the front gear bay is always closed. So no real need to do anything at all..

14 hours ago, Solo said:

Guys - have you got any good pictures of that aircraft? I wish to find something about cockpit, wheel bays and overall surface of the hull - maybe it is possible to make good model out of that kit?

The Su-57 is highly classified in Russia!!! So as little as possible of it is shown anywhere. This summer at an annual Armija show one static example was on view but it was surrounded by advertisement walls to block view of it apart from head on. Yes, one can see it flying and taxying on ground but that is about all. Some Russian TV channels have some good (well censored) reports of the aircraft, of its manufacture and test programs. .  .  They do show some details, like the cockpit but that is about it. It is worth doing some research there but little is gained from a modelling point of view most of those programs are pure propaganda.

Zvezda as a kit maker is in a difficult situation! If they make a kit which is almost 100% then the local security services will be after them in no time. So they go a middle way by using the publicly available images and try to do the best. One must remember they are producing a mass product at a cheap price for wide audience just like the Mi-24. It is business after all.  

Details of the Su-57 with the eye of a modeller? I only ask: How many really good detailed and close walkarounds are available of the F-22???

I can only repeat, with suitable aftermarkets one can surely make a really good kit out of this Zvezda! Only then this very friendly initial kit price will multiply dramatically, plus all the extra work needed to build it.

Everyone has a choice, either they take it or not!

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

So they go a middle way by using the publicly available images and try to do the best.

That is not true. They could make much more detailed kit. But they wanted just to rescale their 1:72 project and that is all.
They go not a middle way, but the easiest way. That is fact.
Please don't tell me about classified information. Information about cockpit panels is classified? Well, so why Zvezda made it as decals? That information is not classified for decals, and is classified for plastic? Information about cockit details is not classified for Tempmodels (they made resin cockpit) but classified for Zvezda?
No, they made such simple, lacking details kit because they are lazy or they just don't care. Making so flat and empty cockpit or wheel bays for 1:48 kit in 2020 is ridicolous and it is not possible to defend it.
In 2020 I do not expect 7 wonders like in GWH kits, I demand minimal decency Period.

I am annoyed with this 57 kit as well as with the Mi-24 kit earlier. Not trying to defend them in anyway! There is absolutely no reason for it! But I know the circumstances in Russia and one has to understand them for doing what they are doing. One has to see the wider view of things!!!

The reality is that Su-57 is a closely guarded military secret and will be for some time. There are only snippets of info and photos of different areas, but no real detailed views!

Please understand this!

I am sure back home this kit will be a business success for Zvezda.

Can only repeat that F-22 was just as closely guarded secret with very little access to it. So there is absolutely no difference between the two sides of the ocean, only one speak English the other one Russian.

Stay Safe!

Best regards

Gabor

56 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Can only repeat that F-22 was just as closely guarded secret with very little access to it. So there is absolutely no difference between the two sides of the ocean, only one speak English the other one Russian.

But there are significant differencies between Russia and Japan (also and Czech Republic): Hasegawa and Aires could make very detailed models od such closely guarded secret aircraft. Zvezda could not or didn't wanted to do it.

On 12/11/2020 at 7:52 AM, Solo said:

Well, I have just received my kit. I am affraid there is no fun.
First of all, that kit is just a direct rescale of 1:72 kit. Period.
No details, empty wheel bays, empty cockpit, no rivets. Sorry, that is a ugly true.

Ok, here there are few pictures for you

The Box. Is nice and sturdy, but inside 2 hull halves were put inside without any plastic bag or safety foil. 

N0aDep0.jpg

In the box there are mentioned 2 hull halves plus 5 sprues with gray plastic and clear one.
That is all: for the model of the plane almost as big as Su-35 is is very poor content.

The Hull. Two halves, with very rough, rugged plastic. Wide and shallow panel lines. No rivets. Even one.

SHVG7Pa.jpg

7fddZyR.jpg

And what about details? Here you can see the cockpit:

4SJah6v.jpg

...and the nose wheel bay:

WiWYVw9.jpg

The Sprues. First one mostly with inlets, cockpit and weapon bay doors. Second one one is mostly with many control surfaces. I can't see any otpions to make anything movable. Unlike the hull halves, all of the rest of plastic is very smooth. Strange.

Dv4f0k1.jpg

Ok, that is details of main wheels bay:

IWh947s.jpg

That is second part of that bays. Also you can see nice nose gears. The gears and wheels are very good detailed. One of very few advantages of that kit.

dNvIulk.jpg

Masterpiece of cockpit and ejection seat:

IoFPCRo.jpg

Third sprue is almost only with "details" of weapon bay and the R-77 missiles:

XE0yvyR.jpg

As you can see, the details are crispy and sharp, but there is lack of them.

ztfXOPT.jpg

There are also 2 sprues with exhaust nozzles, fuel tanks, and CH-31s, and many pylons and launchers as well.

OZsU77V.jpg

Surprisingly, all of that is very nice and crispy. Exhaust nozzles have thin edges, nice details. There are nozzles for variants of aircraft.

sdvbwfm.jpg

Wheels are also very nice:

Jg2fMV3.jpg

The same is with the missiles:

mpYoPhZ.jpg

The pilot:

Lbx6NjL.jpg

At the end there is a glass. Canopy and windshild are very nice: thin glass, very clear. There is small scratch on mine canopy what is a problem, because there is no possibilities to polish Zvezda glass - it makes very cloudy during sanding and polishing.

JRHUWvc.jpg

The Decals. Printed probably by Begemot. Very good quality, hard edges, everything is clear and detailed.

5rpujIF.jpg

i1diHmJ.jpg

And that is all.
I can't say anything more than this kit is really, really big disappointment for me.

Thank you so much for sharing these. !! Very good to know the content. It reminds me the models which were designed /produced in 1990s :

I would rather not commnet on accuracy of Aires products.

I am very sorry that you dont understand what I am trying to say! It is not about kit makers!!!  But about military! Exactly same secrecy in US as in Russia the only differentce in case of F-22 and Su-57 are the number of years between them. I am sure in 5-10 years there will be some fantastic aftermarkets here too.

Best regards

Gabor

15 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Thank you so much for sharing these. !! Very good to know the content. It reminds me the models which were designed /produced in 1990s :

To be honest: that is not bad kit!
The details are very poor but except wheels, gears, exhaust nozzles and missiles.
Also it is good to say about remarkably part fitting. Here you can see how it is with hull halves - for me it is perfect.
Upper half of hull is very rough but bottom - very smooth, it is strange.
So you can always make that model in flight, with cockpit and wheel bays closed. But there is still one serious problem: the rivets. That aircraft has got a lot and lot of rivets, and there are no rivets on the kit. Even single one. And of course I suppose there are no rivets plan for that aircfrat, so it is almos impossible to make such rivets on your own.

L2NqVS0.jpg

Too bad, as it looks like another Zvezda kit of a Soviet/Russian subject that I need, but won't be buying.

As with the Hind, I'll be waiting for the KH to see what they come up with, but these upscaled 1/72 kits (which weren't very detailed to begin with) are not acceptable to me (unless perhaps if they're the only game in town). The rough surface of the top half doesn't help, either.

For example, if Modelsvit upscaled their 1/72 kits, that would probably be a different story.

Edited by ijozic
8 hours ago, Solo said:

That is not true. They could make much more detailed kit. But they wanted just to rescale their 1:72 project and that is all.
They go not a middle way, but the easiest way. That is fact.
Please don't tell me about classified information. Information about cockpit panels is classified? Well, so why Zvezda made it as decals? That information is not classified for decals, and is classified for plastic? Information about cockit details is not classified for Tempmodels (they made resin cockpit) but classified for Zvezda?
No, they made such simple, lacking details kit because they are lazy or they just don't care. Making so flat and empty cockpit or wheel bays for 1:48 kit in 2020 is ridicolous and it is not possible to defend it.
In 2020 I do not expect 7 wonders like in GWH kits, I demand minimal decency Period.

Very good point.

5 hours ago, Solo said:

But there are significant differencies between Russia and Japan (also and Czech Republic): Hasegawa and Aires could make very detailed models od such closely guarded secret aircraft. Zvezda could not or didn't wanted to do it.

another good point.

Initially I was committed to buy this kit when it was announced in 1/48, but after seeing and reading the posts above especially that of Solo, I've decided to pass on this one. One thing or word that Solo mentioned which did struck my subconscious mind is DECENCY. I do not expect a perfect kit from any manufacturer, but when we are almost entering the year 2021, a decent kit is a must for any modeler of any level.

Edited by flybywire

While i do agree that the detail level of the 1/72 Su-57 kit leaves a lot to be desired, and judging by the instruction sheet that is especially true for 1/48 version, there is a key thing everyone seems to miss. It is an accurate kit from what i have seen. Yes, as i have previously noted the left intake under vertical stab is now different for production aircraft but that could either be ignored or hopefully someone will do a resin one (or just make one of the prototypes, like the 509 and 511 as included in the decal sheet).

Beyond that the OML is accurate as neither FSB's "Department 1" or Sukhoi were interested to actively screw Zvezda over this time around, like it happened with the original T-50 kit which looked absolutely nothing like an actual T-50.

Extra panellines and rivets can be added. Resin cockpits can be bought, i have Temp Models one for Su-57 and it looks excellent. Fixing accuracy mistakes? Much much harder. So atleast there is a very solid groundwork to get an excellent model out of either the 1/72 or 1/48 scale kits at a decent price. Maybe down the line someone will treat us to GWH/Insert other company of choosing level of detail, and for a premium price. It took literally 10 years for us to get an accurate T-50/Su-57 kit - and for that alone i am quite happy.

Edited by Berkut
  • HomeBe changed the title to 1/48 - Sukhoi Su-57 "Felon" by Zvezda - released