Which 1/48 SU-17 Fitter?

I do not take your opinion, but pictures often deceive.I prefer drawings.  

I moved the phone only 1cm and the shapes are completely different.

Interestingly, the modelers are for KH, but the modelers who were pilots or worked with the Su-22 prefer HB. Just read the Czech-Slovak or Russian forums.
I don't know who built the HB model, but he's not a good modeler. I have air intake OK.

I will add some photos to FB.  

www.facebook.com/jozef.horvath.376/media_set?set=a.2664643273617026&type=3

Links to the forum's theme of Su-22

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7920&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20623

This thread shows how off the rails a lot of ARC members truly are. The one guy in the conversation that actually worked on real live Sukhois is told that he's wrong by people posting photos that probably haven't been within miles of a real Sukhoi. Can't figure out why nobody takes this seriously...

49 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

I do not take your opinion, but pictures often deceive.I prefer drawings.  

I moved the phone only 1cm and the shapes are completely different.

Look, this picture of the real deal was taken from a different angle, and yet, the shape of the fuselage depicts the round one on the Kitty Hawk kit, not the half-round-and-squarish disaster as in the Hobby Boss nightmare. Also, take a good look at the rounded shape on the base of the windshield. It's not straight, as shown in the Hobby Boss kit.

file.php?id=1293339

42 minutes ago, jgrease said:

The one guy in the conversation that actually worked on real live Sukhois is told that he's wrong by people posting photos that probably haven't been within miles of a real Sukhoi.

Shrewd! :rolleyes: I worked five years at the UK retailer of the Japanese Yamaha NS1000 range of speakers and damn if I know what sort of booster, mid range and tweeter parts are needed to replace the damaged ones.

30 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Look, this picture of the real deal was taken from a different angle, and yet, the shape of the fuselage depicts the round one on the Kitty Hawk kit, not the half-round-and-squarish disaster as in the Hobby Boss nightmare. Also, take a good look at the rounded shape on the base of the windshield. It's not straight, as shown in the Hobby Boss kit.

file.php?id=1293339

Shrewd! :rolleyes: I worked five years at the UK retailer of the Japanese Yamaha NS1000 range of speakers and damn if I know what sort of booster, mid range and tweeter parts are needed to replace the damaged ones.

OK I will build the HB model again and prove it is not so bad.
It will always be better than the KH shoot. That is the last section of the fuselage long and small stabilizers is about OK. Strange oval holes on engine covers, holes instead of external power unit covers. And other surface stupidity. Absolutely wrong injection into the mold. Large depressions, for example the pylon...... 

Only for the stupid repairs that KH made,I spend as much time as building another model.

And this is what? On the top and bottom of the entire body.
Mold in three parts, technologically unmanageable!

Other stupidity of KH model and construction of HB and completion of KP with R-29 engine, I add to my FB.

IMG_6180.jpg

1 hour ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Unless you had some Su-17s or Su-22s in the back, that's entirely irrelevant except to prove the point I already made. Maybe if someone draws some red lines on a photo that will prove the man wrong. 🙄

Harvy is talking about mould manufacturing issues ("Strange oval holes on engine covers, holes instead of external power unit covers. And other surface stupidity. Absolutely wrong injection into the mold. Large depressions, for example the pylon; mold in three parts"and I'm talking about shape issues which would be impossible to repair ("wrong forward fuselage shape, wrong slope of the nose, winshield shape and wrong stance on the forward fuselage transition" ).

If the stabilators were wrong in the Kitty Hawk kit - I'm yet to see how wrong they are, that'd be a hell of a lot more easier to correct than any of the shape issues I just described the Hobby Boss kit having.

The Hobby Boss wrong shapes are the old KoPro kit all over again; I've suffered all before, and there's no way to fix them.

On 12/17/2019 at 5:35 AM, Tapchan said:

Thanks, I didn't realize that HB is so ugly.

Wow...  I feel bad that my thread seems to have roused a lot of strong opinions and feelings, both about the airplane and the models, AND between individuals.  I’m fine with spirited discussion, but I’m truly sorry that the thread has devolved as it has.  

Edited by Curt B

I'm sorry, Curt. That was not my intention. I'll lay down the posting if it's affecting you.

It's just I don't think I'm being able to be sure whether Harvy is going on about mould issues and wrong detailing in the Kitty Hawk kit, and I don't think he's following I'm referring to the shape issues in the Hobby Boss kit.

I'm not into the flamming, sincerely.

55 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Harvy is talking about mould manufacturing issues ("Strange oval holes on engine covers, holes instead of external power unit covers. And other surface stupidity. Absolutely wrong injection into the mold. Large depressions, for example the pylon; mold in three parts"and I'm talking about shape issues which would be impossible to repair ("wrong forward fuselage shape, wrong slope of the nose, winshield shape and wrong stance on the forward fuselage transition" ).

If the stabilators were wrong in the Kitty Hawk kit - I'm yet to see how wrong they are, that'd be a hell of a lot more easier to correct than any of the shape issues I just described the Hobby Boss kit having.

The Hobby Boss wrong shapes are the old KoPro kit all over again; I've suffered all before, and there's no way to fix them.

So I was borrow KH shoot from a neighbor.I gave it to his son to play
Interestingly, when I put fuselage KH on HB, the shape of the nose is the same !!! The difference starts at the belly. Moreover, the KH hull is clearly longer
Photos will be added to FB.
So now it has been confirmed to me as a delusion of photography. Probably somebody wants to sink HB

7 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I am happy it is here, because I was not aware of this strange cross section of HB, and in case of some discount or shopping fever I might have chosen HB. Now, as I am aware of it, I won't have to face this difficult choice.

Cross-section is fine, only the modeler built it wrong. Just look at how he glued the main pitot tube, wheels...

20 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Interestingly, when I put fuselage KH on HB, the shape of the nose is the same !!! 

Not at all; it's like day and night! This is what I find so odd from someone who affirms to have worked the aircraft.

ACqJu2X.jpg

The Sukhoi 17/22 is such a beautiful bird, where the whole forward fuselage slope/windshield stance is THE feature which is so distinctive between one kit and the other. Take a look at the Kitty Hawk kit picture on top and compare the whole forward fuselage and the way the windshield "stands" over it. The Hobby Boss kit below carries over exactly the nightmare  the old KoPro kit was.

I mean, you've got to be blind not to see the difference on one and the other; the whole forward fuselage is wrong on the Hobby Boss kit when compared to the real deal - and this is just from the side.

Look how the windshield sits on the Hobby Boss kit forward fuselage and also how wrong it slopes down towards the nose. It look like a truck! The canopy and spine are a lot taller with respect to the Kitty Hawk kit.

Now go take a look at a picture of the real deal and you'll see which kits resembles the best the beautiful outline in the aircraft.

24 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Cross-section is fine, only the modeler built it wrong. Just look at how he glued the main pitot tube, wheels...

:rolleyes: Okay, yes; the modeller must have filed the round shape of the fuselage in the Hobby Boss kit to make it squarish just by accident...

I'm sorry, Curt. That was not my intention. I'll lay down the posting if it's affecting you.

It's just I don't think I'm being able to be sure whether Harvy is going on about mould issues and wrong detailing in the Kitty Hawk kit, and I don't think he's following I'm referring to the shape issues in the Hobby Boss kit.

I'm not into the flamming, sincerely.

Hubbie, NO REASON TO BE SORRY, and PLEASE don’t stop posting, as I, and I am sure others, are learning a lot by your posts.  I am not bothered by the ‘traffic’ going on here, other than I just didn’t want, by having started the thread, to be responsible for anyone have their feelings hurt.  That’s all I was getting at.  No worries.   

Edited by Curt B

Not at all; it's like day and night! This is what I find so odd from someone who affirms to have worked the aircraft.

ACqJu2X.jpg

The Sukhoi 17/22 is such a beautiful bird, where the whole forward fuselage slope/windshield stance is THE feature which is so distinctive between one kit and the other. Take a look at the Kitty Hawk kit picture on top and compare the whole forward fuselage and the way the windshield "stands" over it. The Hobby Boss kit below carries over exactly the nightmare  the old KoPro kit was.

I mean, you've got to be blind not to see the difference on one and the other; the whole forward fuselage is wrong on the Hobby Boss kit when compared to the real deal - and this is just from the side.

Look how the windshield sits on the Hobby Boss kit forward fuselage and also how wrong it slopes down towards the nose. It look like a truck! The canopy and spine are a lot taller with respect to the Kitty Hawk kit.

Now go take a look at a picture of the real deal and you'll see which kits resembles the best the beautiful outline in the aircraft.

:rolleyes: Okay, yes; the modeller must have filed the round shape of the fuselage in the Hobby Boss kit to make it squarish just by accident...

You are still uploading various photos of different models. Any photo is not from the same position. And if you haven't noticed, the first is turned.
Look at the photos I put on FB, the link I put here.
Give me a photo of these two models side by side
I have it, but you don't want to accept it.

Too bad I didn't convince you. I now have all three models, and  quality drawings.I haven't finished comparing yet, but it's not like you writing.

45 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Hubbie, NO REASON TO BE SORRY, and PLEASE don’t stop posting, as I, and I am sure others, are learning a lot by your posts.  I am not bothered by the ‘traffic’ going on here, other than I just didn’t want, by having started the thread, to be responsible for anyone have their feelings hurt.  That’s all I was getting at.  No worries.   

Okay, it's quite good to know, Curt.

38 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

You are still uploading various photos of different models. Any photo is not from the same position. And if you haven't noticed, the first is turned.

Pictures I posted are from the assembled Kitty Hawk (above) and Hobby Boss (below) 1/48 Su-17 kits. Not various photos of different models whatsoever. Just the Kitty Hawk vs Hobby Boss 1/48 Su-17 kits.

The Kitty Hawk kit photo is turned just so that the forward fuselages on both kits were pointing the same way, as to demonstrate how different the shape on both kits are.

46 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Look at the photos I put on FB, the link I put here.

I'm bothering to post every picture directly on the thread, how could you do the same? I don't have a Facebook account, as might be the case with many other modellers in here. Post whatever proof you want on this thread, not on Facebook.

50 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Give me a photo of these two models side by side

I just did, on two different occasions.

51 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

I have it, but you don't want to accept it.

Sorry, but what is it that you have that I don't want to accept? Perhaps it's just you are not able to convey what you're going on about in English quite well?

53 minutes ago, harvy5 said:

Too bad I didn't convince you. I now have all three models, and  quality drawings.I haven't finished comparing yet, but it's not like you writing.

It's not me whom you've got to convince, Harvy, as I'm quite sure the Hobby Boss kit is wrong just as it was the KoPro kit I had.

On 12/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

Okay, it's quite good to know, Curt.

Pictures I posted are from the assembled Kitty Hawk (above) and Hobby Boss (below) 1/48 Su-17 kits. Not various photos of different models whatsoever. Just the Kitty Hawk vs Hobby Boss 1/48 Su-17 kits.

The Kitty Hawk kit photo is turned just so that the forward fuselages on both kits were pointing the same way, as to demonstrate how different the shape on both kits are.

I'm bothering to post every picture directly on the thread, how could you do the same? I don't have a Facebook account, as might be the case with many other modellers in here. Post whatever proof you want on this thread, not on Facebook.

I just did, on two different occasions.

Sorry, but what is it that you have that I don't want to accept? Perhaps it's just you are not able to convey what you're going on about in English quite well?

It's not me whom you've got to convince, Harvy, as I'm quite sure the Hobby Boss kit is wrong just as it was the KoPro kit I had.

I have a problem to add photos here.
you do not look at the modelforum.cz or forum where are the people who worked with the aircraft or still work?

But Harvy, I'm sure you quite realise that the reason for the existence of this thread on an English-spoken modelling forum is that the OP was able to read the input to his enquire in a language he is fluent in, all with the self-explanatory pictures posted on the same thread by all those to wish to contribute with their knowledge, whereas it's awful difficult for someone who is not fluent in whatever the language is typed on the Czech forum to try and dig what they're going on about...

And even while my wife could translate for me, there is no way she would translate everything is typed on there that is of interest to me - wife's got a life of her own - and also, I'd be completely unable to ask questions on there on my own without being fluent in the language and signing in for an account first.

Your proposed method is not practical at all, so no way.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 2:12 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

But Harvy, I'm sure you quite realise that the reason for the existence of this thread on an English-spoken modelling forum is that the OP was able to read the input to his enquire in a language he is fluent in, all with the self-explanatory pictures posted on the same thread by all those to wish to contribute with their knowledge, whereas it's awful difficult for someone who is not fluent in whatever the language is typed on the Czech forum to try and dig what they're going on about...

And even while my wife could translate for me, there is no way she would translate everything is typed on there that is of interest to me - wife's got a life of her own - and also, I'd be completely unable to ask questions on there on my own without being fluent in the language and signing in for an account first.

Your proposed method is not practical at all, so no way.

SRY of writing and now, I had a lot of work. The front of the fuselage have HB and KH almost the same.
The difference is in the middle and rear of the fuselage. There is a KH completely out.

GJCEUIy.jpg

For me KH is just nicely created sh..t. Bad shapes and bad angles.Missing parts.

Well, I need a lot of aftermarkets. I have a nice army pension, money is no problem. But why should I invest in repairs? For the price of KH with need aftermarkets I have two HB.

And the result is almost the same. In addition, there is not as much work on HB as on KH