Which 1/48 SU-17 Fitter?

8 minutes ago, jonbryon said:

It was released in Dec 2019. I've had mine for a while. 

Jon

OK, I was going by the fact that they haven't added it to their catalog list on their website yet. But, I see that The48ers has it (out of stock right now). I signed up for notification when it is back in stock. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2019 at 6:44 PM, harvy5 said:

Photo is not always exactly when the angle is different. I believe drawing from 4+ and my experience  working on real aircraft.
KH model have more serious errors.

Bad shape fuselage, very small air brakes, bad shock cone.engine length .....

The KH model needs too much aftermarkets.

Sorry if this is an old thread, but it is not a matter of photo angle when the overall volume of the windscreen is so different... If you look at the volumes on their own, the HB is not even close. It cannot be a camera effect. This entirely disqualifies the HB kit from the very start... By volume alone, the Kittyhawk windscreen is far closer. (The Kittyhawk shock cone is an issue, but fixable in a hidden area, quite unlike an entire canopy!!!: No comparison of like with like here)

kWCWmr6.jpg

Hobby Boss windscreen volume:

Hobby Boss bottom: Wrong windscreen angle, too slanted, as well as too small overall: A major difference as to what view the pilot has...

ACqJu2X.jpg

The windscreen angle being too sloped on the Hobby Boss, it does not allow the proper "towering" over the nose the Kittyhawk kit allows: Again, a major visual feature:

5867 - Sukhoi Su-22M4 Fitter K - Vietnam - Air Force

As to the spine swell issue, it does appear the Kittyhawk is inferior to the Hobby Boss on that one shape point:

Gotowy Su-22 1/48 Kitty hawk

Sukhoi Su-17/20/22 Fitter - Appliances | Facebook

GJCEUIy.jpg

However it is still mostly an issue of too much material in one area, which is better than too little (and likely within the thickness of the plastic): Perhaps a bit of material needs to be added to create more of a "swell" here, but not much... I am not saying it is an easy fix (it is not!), but altering opaque spine shapes is infinitely easier than altering ENTIRE fuselage cross-sections, or scratch-building entirely new clear parts.

Having worked on the real aircraft is irrelevant to knowing shape issues. It does give credence on the surface detail.

Edited by Robertson
9 hours ago, Robertson said:

Sorry if this is an old thread, but it is not a matter of photo angle when the overall volume of the windscreen is so different... If you look at the volumes on their own, the HB is not even close. It cannot be a camera effect. This entirely disqualifies the HB kit from the very start... By volume alone, the Kittyhawk windscreen is far closer. (The Kittyhawk shock cone is an issue, but fixable in a hidden area, quite unlike an entire canopy!!!: No comparison of like with like here)

Hobby Boss windscreen volume:

Hobby Boss bottom: Wrong windscreen angle, too slanted, as well as too small overall: A major difference as to what view the pilot has...

I'd recommend you edit your post and indicate more clearly which one is the KH and which one is the HB in your photos (left or right, up or down) for those not familiar with the plane or the kits and planning to buy any of them. Only 1 out of 4 photos you mention which one is the HB. The head on one I had to go back and forth referencing the second photo's markings to make out which is which. The 3rd you mention the KH spine's problem but you don't indicate if the kit photo is the KH or HB. And the last one with 4 kits lined up, and someone not familiar with them would have a hard time distinguishing which is which.

Edited by Inquisitor
  • 1 month later...
On 10/27/2021 at 12:06 AM, Inquisitor said:

I'd recommend you edit your post and indicate more clearly which one is the KH and which one is the HB in your photos (left or right, up or down) for those not familiar with the plane or the kits and planning to buy any of them. Only 1 out of 4 photos you mention which one is the HB. The head on one I had to go back and forth referencing the second photo's markings to make out which is which. The 3rd you mention the KH spine's problem but you don't indicate if the kit photo is the KH or HB. And the last one with 4 kits lined up, and someone not familiar with them would have a hard time distinguishing which is which.

Point taken. Top side by side image the Hobby Boss is to the left. I take this opportunity to note the KH windscreen side windows do not look quite like the real ones, in that the kit's corners are crisp and do not have the slightly "rounded corners" of the real thing. This can be cheat-masked for a better appearance I would guess... 

GJCEUIy.jpg

From left to right: Kitty Hawk, HB, HB and KP?

By the way, don't forget to check out Vespa Models for the upcoming 1/48 Tumansky R-29-engined Export Fitters conversion set to go with the Kitty Hawk kits (wonder why Mr Tincopa has chosen the KH kits over the HB ones to devise his conversion set?). Could it just be a giveaway as to which kit is the most accurate?

Cheers,

Gwen 

Edited by Gwen Phoenix