ALE-2 chaff pod under construction - done!

I'm building all stores used on the Dutch F-84F, and I discovered a few days ago that the ALE-2 chaff pod was also used. I've seen photos of two pods used on the outboard pylons combined with 230 gallon tanks on the inboard pylons, and one pod on the left inboard pylon with a 450 gallon Type 2 tank on the right inboard pylon.

I found two resin 1/48 models of the ALE-2, but I did not like what I saw. Therefore I decided to build a better one myself. I started with two resin M116 napalm tanks, that I combined to a long shape. Next I made the drawing below, based on the main dimensions as reported by Jari 'Finn' in an older thread, and filled in the details from photos. The drawing is therefore only a best effort.

Before I start adding the details, I would like to check whether someone knows more about the ALE-2, and can comment on my provisional drawing. Thanks!

f84f-82.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Thanks for checking Jari! Do you think the ejection slot is too long or too wide? Or both? I watched the video again (and again) but I don't see what needs to be changed. I expect that carving the slot in the pod will also lead to some new insights.

The reinforcing plate in my drawing is too narrow, the sway braces pads would be on the soft skin, so I'll need to widen that.

Rob

1 hour ago, jeffryfontaine said:

The Revell EA-6A Intruder kit includes a pair of ALE type pods.  Not sure which type but there are two included. 

Thanks! I checked a few reviews, and it seems they are ALE-41s. Close but no cigar I guess?

Rob

3 hours ago, Finn said:

Hi Rob, the notch looks a bit too wide at the rear, at least in the drawing. We mainly used RR125 chaff:

https://nationalstocknumber.info/part-number/1050as102_00-912-4361

the link above gives the sizes of the packets and the slot was was just a little bit bigger.

Jari

Thanks Jari, I'm learning a lot here!  From your link I got the dimensions of the chaff packet. Assuming it was rectangular, I scaled it in my drawing, and put it ahead of the slot. It fits rather well I think, but maybe the orientation is wrong?

f84f-83.jpg

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

Yes that is how it was positioned, the chaff came as a "belt" each package was laid out on two paper straps which not only made up the belt but held each packet closed. The paper straps were fed thru the stripper which then removed the straps when the selections were made in the cockpit and a combination of the stripper pulling the paper straps with the packets of chaff plus the two air tubes that came from the front, and the air from those tubes pushed the packets out into the air stream.  Since the packets were no longer held close they opened up in the air. The paper straps ended up in the tail cone and the straps had snaps at the end to add more belts if needed, although normally 2 belts were more than enough. 

Jari

17 hours ago, Finn said:

Yes that is how it was positioned, the chaff came as a "belt" each package was laid out on two paper straps which not only made up the belt but held each packet closed. The paper straps were fed thru the stripper which then removed the straps when the selections were made in the cockpit and a combination of the stripper pulling the paper straps with the packets of chaff plus the two air tubes that came from the front, and the air from those tubes pushed the packets out into the air stream.  Since the packets were no longer held close they opened up in the air. The paper straps ended up in the tail cone and the straps had snaps at the end to add more belts if needed, although normally 2 belts were more than enough. 

Jari

Jari, many thanks again! I decided to finish what I started, since it will take time to find the ALE-2s from the Great Wall kit. Here's where I am now.

f84f-84.jpg

Rob

On 12/20/2019 at 1:35 AM, Finn said:

Jari

I saw this on Ebay, does it fit your description in any way?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KOREA-AND-LATER-TARGET-DRONE-CHAFF-PACK-FOIL-SEVEN-WAVELENGTH-UNUSED/223807426375?hash=item341bf64f47:g:I7QAAOSwpBdd~VW7

Rob

To further clarify the packets, we used both the RR125 for airborne radars and the RR114 for ground based, mostly the RR125 which if i remember correctly were long, almost like tinsel on a Xmas tree while the RR114 had different lengths each one was wrapped up in paper like in the link you posted. So each RR114 packet had several bundles of various size chaff in them.

Jari 

20 hours ago, Finn said:

To further clarify the packets, we used both the RR125 for airborne radars and the RR114 for ground based, mostly the RR125 which if i remember correctly were long, almost like tinsel on a Xmas tree while the RR114 had different lengths each one was wrapped up in paper like in the link you posted. So each RR114 packet had several bundles of various size chaff in them.

Jari 

Thanks again for all your information!

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's the master in progress, about 3/4 done, with a first layer of paint to check for paint defects. I hade run a needle through the small rectangular fasteners, that's why they are so apparent. The chaff 'exhaust' was achieved by about half an hour worth of scraping with a small scalpel blade. The shape I saw in photos emerged slowly but surely.

Comments are welcome!

f84f-85.jpg

f84f-86.jpg

Rob

• 2 months later...

This pod looks very similar to the pods used on the EB-57 Canberra. Can anyone confirm that it is the same pod? 

I need the correct dimensions of these pods so I can scale some decal elements correctly for an B-57 sheet I am designing. Any inputs would be much appreciated. 

Edit: I found this thread with the dimensions I need - thanks!

Edited by KursadA
  • 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 4:09 PM, GeneK said:

Beautiful workmanship, Rob.

Gene K

A belated thanks for the compliments!

Yesterday I cast a silicone rubber mold, and today I produced eight resin copies. I need two for my Streak project, the others are available.

forsale-36.jpg

forsale-34.jpg

forsale-35.jpg

Rob

Rob,

those look absolutely fantastic.  I have seen several  products from established companies that do not look that crisp or smooth.  If I wasn’t under a self-imposed ban on purchasing items (I know I am going to regret that decision later) I would have already set your inbox on fire begging to purchase one.  Great job and look forward to the model you hang this on.

BW

14 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

A belated thanks for the compliments!

Yesterday I cast a silicone rubber mold, and today I produced eight resin copies. I need two for my Streak project, the others are available.

forsale-36.jpg

forsale-34.jpg

forsale-35.jpg

Rob

That talent on this forum always amazes me!

Well done!