Spitfire Variants and Underwing Scoops

Hey, all you knowledgeable Spitfire people...   I haven't found an answer to my question, though I've done at least a cursory search.  Is there a reference somewhere that discusses what underwing scoops were present for each variant?  For example, it looks like on the Mk 1 Spit, there were asymmetric scoops on the underside, one scoop looking like the later radiator cowlings, and a smaller one on the opposite side, whereas the Mk VIII variant has both of the larger radiator scoops symmetrical (or almost so) on the underside.  Is there somewhere that describes what those undersides look like on each variant?  Or are the variations easy enough to just describe verbally, with most Spits being one or the other of my examples?  Thanks.

Early, short nosed spits ( I, II, V and variants of these) had a large rectangular radiator on one side and a round oil cooler on the other. 

Latter long nosed spits (VIII, IX, XVI and variants) and the same radiator, while the round oil cooler was replaced with a rectangular housing the same size as the radiator, but containing the oil cooler and a small radiator for the intercooler. 

Griffon engines spits had the same 2 rectangular housings, but they were slightly larger as they had more volume of fluids to handle.   

Hope this helps

Sean

• 4 months later...

Opening this back up about different Spitfires instead of starting a new thread.

As I understand it (literally just reading for 20 mins), the MK Vb and MK Vc differences are only in armament correct?

I am looking at modelling the following aircraft and it's a toss up between the Airfix and Tamiya Vb kits, however Alley Cat makes MK Vc wings for the Airfix. Now this is where I am SUPER DUPER confused. How can I tell if this Spit is an "early/ late" wing or "clipped/full span" wing? So confusing.

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-USAAF-52FG2FS-QPA-Lt-R

Edited by Whiskey
9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Opening this back up about different Spitfires instead of starting a new thread.

As I understand it (literally just reading for 20 mins), the MK Vb and MK Vc differences are only in armament correct?

I am looking at modelling the following aircraft and it's a toss up between the Airfix and Tamiya Vb kits, however Alley Cat makes MK Vc wings for the Airfix. Now this is where I am SUPER DUPER confused. How can I tell if this Spit is an "early/ late" wing or "clipped/full span" wing? So confusing.

Spitfire-MkVcTrop-USAAF-52FG2FS-QPA-Lt-R

There were multiple wing versions that were fitted to spitfires and were designated by the A,B,C or E after the mark number. the C wing was known as the universal wing as it could carry any variation of armament. in reality, the wing on the MkVC looked the same as the MkIX with the exception of the smaller underwing oil cooler. Easiest way to tell is the B wing had 1 cannon port and the C wing had two. With respect to clipped or pointed wingtips, these could be changed in the field. The wing tips where just bolted on and units would install the tips that best fit the mission they were operating on. best to check reference pictures for the unit and time frame you are building (the profile you posted above has pointed tips)

If it is a MkVC then both Italeri and Revell offer a MkVc, with Italeris being a MkVc trop, while Tamiya and Airfix is a a MkVb. 

Here is diagram showing the difference between the  b and c.

post-2-1120511800.jpg

hope this helps

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

Thanks Sean. It helps quite a bit. I feel a little bummed however as it seems that if I want to keep it a "true" Vc then I have to stick with the Revell/ Italeri/ Special Hobby to which I've heard is not as pleasant to build as one would like. I was hoping to be able to keep it a Airfix or Tamiya level kit.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Thanks Sean. It helps quite a bit. I feel a little bummed however as it seems that if I want to keep it a "true" Vc then I have to stick with the Revell/ Italeri/ Special Hobby to which I've heard is not as pleasant to build as one would like. I was hoping to be able to keep it a Airfix or Tamiya level kit.

I took a look at those alley cat wings and they seem to cover most of the differences and for the price, might be worth it if you want to keep the Tamiya kit. That Italeri kit looks like it has some great detail in it, just gonna take a little bit more effort to get the parts to fit cleanly.

Sean

8 minutes ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

I took a look at those alley cat wings and they seem to cover most of the differences and for the price, might be worth it if you want to keep the Tamiya kit. That Italeri kit looks like it has some great detail in it, just gonna take a little bit more effort to get the parts to fit cleanly.

Sean

Yeah but with the Alley Cat wings I don't know which set of wings to go with as there's 4 different options! And I think they're for the Airfix kit but that is still more acceptable than the Special Hobby from what I have read.

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Yeah but with the Alley Cat wings I don't know which set of wings to go with as there's 4 different options! And I think they're for the Airfix kit but that is still more acceptable than the Special Hobby from what I have read.

From what I can see, the difference between the Alley Cat early- and late-style sets is the upper wing cannon bulges. The early ones have the wider bulges designed for two cannon, while the late ones have the narrow bulges that became more or less standard because the two cannon-per-wing configuration was rarely used. If I were doing the plane in your profile, I'd go with early style and full span.