Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mark I - Aftermarket?

Hi All,

I'm thinking about starting my first Airfix 1/48 Hurricane.  It's the Mk. 1 Tropical version, but I will build it as a Battle of Britain version.  I see that Eduard makes photo etch for the Sea Hurricane Mk 1B.  Would those parts work for the non-sea BoB Mk. 1?  If not, does anyone know of any other aftermarket manufacturer that makes good details stuff that would be appropriate for what I'm trying to make?

I personally don't think the Airfix kit needs much added cockpit detail beyond seat belts. I see that Eduard has a seat belt set labeled for the Sea Hurricane (FE 876). Looks as if it would work just as well for a standard Mk. Ib.

Actually, I was thinking more about the the Eduard Sea Hurricane 1b set that includes the color PE instrument panel.  I've had good luck with those panels in other builds.  Would the instrument panel for the Sea Hurricane 1b be okay to use in a BoB Hurricane Mk 1?

Well, the plastic in the Sea Hurricane kit is identical to that in the Mk. I kit, so aside from any small detail differences there may have been (about which I know nothing), the Eduard parts should at least fit in either one.

22 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

The Airfix kit needs very little aftermarket! May well be their best kit

Glt

I appreciate that thought. I’m just lazy and would like to use a pre-colored instrument panel whether it is photo etch or resin, and to make sure I have the belts and harnesses for the seat.  If I can use that kind of stuff, I’m happy.  I have done a little bit of looking at the kit plastic, and while I have zero experience with Airfix models (except for the T-34/85 1/35 tank that I haven’t built yet) I have to say I’m impressed with how the Hurricane looks on the plastic trees.  I’m definitely looking forward to have my two Hurricanes join their Spitfire and Tempest friends on my model shelf!

Edited by Curt B
18 hours ago, Curt B said:

I’m just lazy and would like to use a pre-colored instrument panel whether it is photo etch or resin...

If you don't know Yahu yet, they make nice instrument panels, ready to use ( and scroll down to see what's available from other manufacturers ):  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/yahu-models-yma4807-hawker-hurricane-mki-instrument-panel--945916

On 12/17/2019 at 7:35 AM, Griffin said:

If you don't know Yahu yet, they make nice instrument panels, ready to use ( and scroll down to see what's available from other manufacturers ):  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/yahu-models-yma4807-hawker-hurricane-mki-instrument-panel--945916

Excellent.  Thank you!

I looked and found the 1/48 Yahu Hurricane Mk. 1 Insrument Panel.  This is what I was looking for...thank you, again.

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 years later...
On 9/2/2022 at 5:32 AM, Alternative 4 said:

Does anyone do a set of replacement fabric wings for the Airfix hurricane?

AFAIK no there isn't. You could, (but it's probably a very long shot) get the wings from some of the long oop Classic Airframe kits that came with fabric wings, and see if they fit or can be modified. It's not just as simple as that anyway, many fabric wing Hurricanes had a different windscreen (curved lower edge) to what's in the Airfix kit. There's also the pole type ariel mast to consider and the keel (or not) under the rear fuselage. Also 5 spoke wheels were often fitted to fabric wing a/c.

-----------------

15 hours ago, barkin mad said:

AFAIK no there isn't. You could, (but it's probably a very long shot) get the wings from some of the long oop Classic Airframe kits that came with fabric wings, and see if they fit or can be modified. It's not just as simple as that anyway, many fabric wing Hurricanes had a different windscreen (curved lower edge) to what's in the Airfix kit. There's also the pole type ariel mast to consider and the keel (or not) under the rear fuselage. Also 5 spoke wheels were often fitted to fabric wing a/c.

-----------------

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think that through beyond the wings. Fingers crossed Airfix do a fabric wing version then.

Until recently, I mostly built jets and was always in the "do we need another spitfire?" camp. However after trying to track down a Seafire, Mk.VII and Mk.IV Spitfire I realised the variants of these aircraft are not common at all. And that's even without getting my head around the different wing, cowling and engine types. Still learning