Aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznestov Fire

My guess is that the next port of call for this vessel will be a well deserved visit to a scrapyard.   

Mstor - I'd say that luck has nothing to do with the issues that have befallen this ship.  No more that it has to do with the fact that until a few weeks ago, the USN only had a single functional CVN in it's Atlantic fleet.  Every other carrier was out of commission for one reason or another .   Comes down to proper maintenance and quality of design.

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznestov caught fire yesterday or the day before (somewhat unclear). Unlucky ship.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/12/13/fire-sweeps-russias-only-aircraft-carrier/docked

I saw that a couple days ago. Said it was started with a spark from a welder. Last I heard the entire lower deck was afire. Luckily, it happened while docked instead of at sea!

Gary

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

My guess is that the next port of call for this vessel will be a well deserved visit to a scrapyard.   

Mstor - I'd say that luck has nothing to do with the issues that have befallen this ship.  No more that it has to do with the fact that until a few weeks ago, the USN only had a single functional CVN in it's Atlantic fleet.  Every other carrier was out of commission for one reason or another .   Comes down to proper maintenance and quality of design.

'Tis true. As far as I know, Russia no longer has a dry dock large enough for the carrier. I believe it pretty much sank (was a floating dry dock) almost taking the Kuznestov with it.  If they take the Kuznestov out of service, they have no where they could build a new carrier, though I don't really think carriers are a big part of their maritime strategy. The Kuznestov has been kind of an embarrassment for a long time now. Time for the scrap yard, though I think the Su-33 is a cool looking aircraft and I don't know what they would do with them. They're a bit long in the tooth too.

37 minutes ago, Mstor said:

'Tis true. As far as I know, Russia no longer has a dry dock large enough for the carrier. I believe it pretty much sank (was a floating dry dock) almost taking the Kuznestov with it.  If they take the Kuznestov out of service, they have no where they could build a new carrier, though I don't really think carriers are a big part of their maritime strategy. The Kuznestov has been kind of an embarrassment for a long time now. Time for the scrap yard, though I think the Su-33 is a cool looking aircraft and I don't know what they would do with them. They're a bit long in the tooth too.

The loss of that drydock was a huge issue.  I believe when it sank, one of it's massive cranes fell through the flight deck and put a huge hole in it.  

With regard to replacement, I think having a CV (or CVN) is kinda a "National Prestige" thing for many nations, especially since the Chinese are going in heavy on this and the Brits are now back in the carrier business.   I'd be surprised if Supreme Comrade Putin decides that Russia will now go without a new carrier, regardless of the cost and the usefulness of these ships.  

Maybe if they ask nicely, we'll sell them the problem-ridden Jerry Ford and get that clunker off our hands?

Edited by 11bee
7 hours ago, 11bee said:

The loss of that drydock was a huge issue.  I believe when it sank, one of it's massive cranes fell through the flight deck and put a huge hole in it.  

With regard to replacement, I think having a CV (or CVN) is kinda a "National Prestige" thing for many nations, especially since the Chinese are going in heavy on this and the Brits are now back in the carrier business.   I'd be surprised if Supreme Comrade Putin decides that Russia will now go without a new carrier, regardless of the cost and the usefulness of these ships.  

Maybe if they ask nicely, we'll sell them the problem-ridden Jerry Ford and get that clunker off our hands?

Yea, there is that angle to consider, the prestige of having a carrier force, but Russia would have to build a whole new dry dock to do it. Probably cost as much as the carrier. Russia's sea strategy has been more of a sea denial one than force projection. Plus the Kuznestov, far from be a symbol of prestige, has been an embarrassment. Perhaps they could get the Chinese to build them one :naughty:.

You are correct about the crane. Put a fairly large hole in the flight deck. Don't know if that caused the fires that time or whether it was something else. Made a mess of things that's for sure.

.From:   https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/12/russias-only-carrier-damaged-in-shipyard-accident-now-on-fire/

The fire was caused when sparks from welding work near one of the ship's electrical distribution compartments set a cable on fire. The fire spread through the wiring throughout compartments of the lower deck of the ship, eventually involving 120 square meters (1,300 square feet) of the ship's spaces.