Alclad Aqua Gloss

Hey All,

I'm writing this as a new user of the subject Alclad Aqua Gloss product.  I have been using a variety of lacquer based paints of late, primarily Mr. Color and MRP (Mr. Paint), snd have found, as most people do, that lacquer paints put down an extraordinary thin coat, which leaves surface detail completely undamaged.  With the fabulous surface details of the latest Eduard kits, in my opinion, this characteristic is almost necessary.  Some have said that the surface of these lacquers is smooth enough to put decals over without concern about silvering, but I wanted to be sure that I had a strong enough surface not only for decals but for enamel panel line washes.  I'm currently working on a 1/48 Eduard Tempest Mk. V Series 2.  I have typically used Future, the old standby, as my clear coat, but I feel that Future may not set well enough for my purposes.  So, today, for the first time, I tried using Alclad Aqua Gloss as my gloss coat.  I am VERY impressed with this stuff.  The gloss isn't like a mirror, though I feel a second coat may get to that.  But it does go on really easily, using a Paasche H airbrush.  I found that the surface was dry enough in 5 minutes to be able to handle the model, and the surface detail, again, as with the lacquer paints, looks to remain completely unaffected, and is just as 'present' as before any paint at all.

So, i'm sure this is nothing new to any of you, but   it was a new experience for me, and I just wanted to let you know in case it might be of interest to anyone out there.  Great stuff!!  

Edited by Curt B

I agree as well, but a slight word of caution to the Testor's Dullcote diehards.  I have gotten great results with Aqua gloss, but lost two models where Dullcote proved to be too hot and mottled/cracked the underlying pain.  I've been using the same Tamiya and Testors for years without problem.  The only change was the Aqua gloss.  Yes, very thin coats should be safe and I've made it through some models without problem as well, but the margin of error seemed rather small.  I'm at a crossroads where I've been going back to Tamiya clear gloss for it's durability and thin coats and using the Alclad Klear Flat.  I know it doesn't help to change two things at once, but it's working for me.