USMC EA-6B Prowler Inherent Resolve 1/72 questions

Hello there, 

I've a project to build an 1/72 USMC EA-6B Prowler during Inherent Resolve. The base will be the Hasegawa kit. 

I wish to realise an VMAQ-3 or VMAQ-4 bird, but I'm unfamiliar with jet planes (and this one particulary). 
So, I've some questions. 

# According to you, can I use the 1/72 FFSMC Productions Decals sheet dedicated to EA-6B Prowler VAQ 140 "Patriots" USS Eisenhower 2013 Operation Enduring Freedom (minus the NAVY words, specific artwork) as a base ? 
Are the stencils common to Navy / Marines planes ? 
Is it the same color / paint / font ?

Just in case you're unaware of the decal sheet I'm talking about, here is a link to the FFSMC product on scalemates : 
https://www.scalemates.com/fr/kits/ffsmc-productions-p-72-51-ea-6b-prowler-vaq-140-patriots-uss-eisenhower-2013-operation-enduring-freedom--1257312

# Is there another VMAQ-3 / VMAQ-4 decal sheet somewhere ? 

# What can be hung under the wings ? ECM pods only ? Missiles ? 

# It looks like the EA-6B had known some evolution. What is the good one for an Inherent Resolve plane ? 

# According to you what would be the essential / best add-on to use ?

Regards,
Olivier

PS sorry, I'm French, my English is not as good as I wish. Hope I post my question to the right place too.

s-l1600.pngl / best

Edited by Oscar Hotel

I will only speak (badly) about the only kit in town which is the Hasegawa kit...so you need to either scratch built or buy a newer cockpit tub, fix the intake trunking by adding FOD covers or purchase a dedicated AM set for it, same applies for the engine exhausts, wheel wells need some love and you probably have to swap the wheels with a latter set.

Prowlers went through various update stages, Hasegawa (as per usual) mostly ignored all of them BUT from time to time and ALWAYS on limited edition boxes added an extra pamphlet telling the modeller to cut, replace and scratch-built various antennas while leaving everything else untouched.

Wing area needs to be looked at and maybe replace wing folding plates with later ones

Prowlers upgrade stages were called ICAP, Hasegawa kit it's good up to an early ICAP II, if you are aiming to make anything past early/mid 80's it's the sticks

ECM pods maybe are ok up to Desert Storm time, later ones looked different, shape-wise were kinda identical but I think they also went through some sort of upgrade

Rest it's up for the experts 😄

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

Hello Luigi.
Thank you for this long explanation. It seems that the subject is more complex than I had originally considered. Anyway, much more than my usual propeller subjects 😉
So I started to list the accessories necessary for this project, based on your recommendations. I think that I will also have to find good documentation and hope that the experts will be able to effectively complete my questions.
Thank you again for all 👍

Hi Oscar Hotel, 

I think there is a possibility : why don't you try Superscale decal sheet 72859 that provides decals for VMAQ-1, VMAQ-2 ans VMAQ-3 Prowlers in 1/72nd scale.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/superscale-international-72-859-grumman-ea-6b-prowlers-usmc--1083734

I have not found VMAQ-4 decals... 

Try this link for VMAQ-3 Prowlers

http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMAQ/VMAQ-3.htm 

The Hasegawa is a very decent kit (engraved lines, good shapes), but it is now an old kit that was not updated as real Prowlers were. It is very basin in certain areas (Cockpit stands out and wheel wells). 

You'll have to search documentation as real Prowlers were fitted with new antennaes, some  bulges or fairings were added and some removed, cockpit were updated, aircraft received new weapons. 

External corrections are well doable in 1/72nd scale. Cockpits can be detailed with the help of either "Golden Dragon" or "Aires" resin cockpits.

19121810150824262416564818.jpg

(Over Hasegawa EA-6B updated to midlife specification)

Eric B.  

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, how is your build coming? I m about to start on mine and it will be a low-vis scheme in 1991 colours. 
i m planning to merge the foldable wings from the Italeri 1/72 Intruder kit onto the hasegawa fuselage. Fingers crossed 🤞.
I just completed the Italeri 1/72 intruder kit. It was quite easy to work with, though there was some fit problems. It was manageable