Any Floquil Old Silver Replacements???

Have you tried Tamiya AS-12? It is a great NM starting point. To be honest I found Floquil Old Silver to be finicky to work with. Maybe I was using it wrong. Oh and Tamiya has several silvers in their spray can line.

I still have some old silver, and I use it, but I frequently try new paints. The AK Extreme Metal line of paints is worth a look, they are less finicky than Alcald, and more durable than Testors Metalizer. I am not sure how old silver fits in your workflow, but the Extreme Metal might be worth a look. I have yet to try MRP metallic colors but I have heard good things about them. 

But yes, The Floquil Metallic paints just seem to have a unique quality which makes them unlike other paints. The metallic pigment was very fine, and  the paint was not too thick, and not too thin. 

7 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I just picked up a can of AS-12 to give it a try.   Been checking out ebay for any of the Floquil Old Silver.   Someone had a really old jar of this stuff for $19.99!   Sorry, I miss it but not $20 miss it.

I think you will like it. Make sure you shake it well and put it in some warm water before using. Also, I know lots of guys decant and use it in their airbrush but I am too lazy for that. I really should though as you do waste less paint. I also spray over Tamiya primer but probably not necessary as it is a lacquer base so bonds really well. Masking tape does not pull it up.

Edited by skyhawk174
45 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

I think you will like it. Make sure you shake it well and put it in some warm water before using. Also, I know lots of guys decant and use it in their airbrush but I am too lazy for that. I really should though as you do waste less paint. I also spray over Tamiya primer but probably not necessary as it is a lacquer base so bands really well. Masking tape does not pull it up.

I was about to say the same! I get slightly better results decanting it, but I’m also too lazy and have such limited modeling time it’s not worth the effort for me. I’ve also polished it with some SNJ powder and gotten good results for panel variations. I know that stuff is also out of production but I’ve got a few bottles and a little goes a long way.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

I think you will like it. Make sure you shake it well and put it in some warm water before using. Also, I know lots of guys decant and use it in their airbrush but I am too lazy for that. I really should though as you do waste less paint. I also spray over Tamiya primer but probably not necessary as it is a lacquer base so bands really well. Masking tape does not pull it up.

I like the part about not getting pulled up by masking tape.   One of my biggest pet peeves about painting NMF.

Thanks all for your input.  Much appreciated!

• 3 years later...

I can agree with Tamiya AS-12.  The vast majority of this 1/144 C-135A was sprayed direct from the can.  The other panels were just old Testors square bottle silver tinted with a tiny bit of dark blue.  

M14Hib9.jpg

Old thread, and I replied four years ago. I have since tried several shades of Mr Color lacquer ... you might like the "Super Silver" . It has a similarly fine pigment as the Floquil stuff. There is one called "Shine Silver" but it has really large flakes so it is not suitable for the same tasks as old silver. The Tamiya LP "Flat Aluminum" is also a good choice. 

• 4 weeks later...

for the variety of metallics I'm testing out the Vallejo Model Color line. They have very fine pigment. And they are acrylics, so if You have by any chance problem with laquers and other smelly paints that is a big plus.

Here is Vallejo Model Color Aluminium, White Aluminium and Vallejo Model Air Silver covered with Gunze H30. Paint chips have no gloss coat on.

ABLVV84Dtse0J8l7IEdlA97XkM7UXy6W0mp4WVn1

I bought the metallic paint set from Vallejo. So far I have only painted wheel wheels so I haven't really tested the durability yet. It does spray and look great. I have previously used the AK Xtreme Metal for NMF finishes and that stuff is fantastic! And smelly. And harder to find...