Definative quarter scale A-10A

Guys what in your opinion is the best kit to start with to build an A-10A at the end of the 1990s.

Im looking to use the xtradecal sheet to build some of the Woodbridge/Bentwaters jets, Im really wanting to fit the Mavrick triple rail launchers as I remember them being fitted.
Did they also use the twin Sidewinder rails? I cant seem to remember them at all until the later years...?

But what kit to base it all on?

I really wish there was a "difinitive" kit of the A-10 in 1/48 but, sadly there is not. All of the current available kits suffer from various problems as you probably are aware. My choice was the Hobby Boss kit (still working on it.) I am not certain about the jets you want to model but, as far the loadouts the best suggestion I can think of is to source any photos from the era that you can find. Good luck with your build!

Edited by taggor
clarify post.

It was said in the past not by me, but from another user which name's escapes me:

Monogram as they got the nose right, engine pods kinda wrong, weapon stores unknown and wheels not be replaced

Italeri as they got they nose wrong, engine pods kinda right, turbine fans to be replaced, ditto for wheels and weapon stores, also antenna job is needed cause they forgot some on the OA-10A box and some other more on the A-10C box

Hasegawa, fetch it for C parts to be added on Italeri kit, dual rail launcher was approved by him,

Academy I remember reading that they at first nailed the engine pods, then changed the tooling and got it wrong, I find it odd as a similar thing was said for Monogram/Revell F-104C drop tanks, yet this year I bought two F-104C from Japan and Canada and the drop tanks nailed the ones contained on Revell's 2005ish rebox of their F-104G

Avoid Hobbrycraft as it was a Monogram kit reboxed with lots and lots of flash and distorted parts

Maybe Matchbox for prototype

Hobbyboss kinda matches Italeri outline so I guess they ctrl+c/ctrl+v it

Luigi

Dimensionally it's probably the Monogram kit although it needs some work to come up to current standards. The Hobbyboss kit might be easier to build but you would have to backdate it to the A-10A without the LASTE mods (various antennae ) . The dual rail launcher for the AIM-9 was used from the late '80s . The A-10's were actually withdrawn from Bentwaters/Woodbridge/Alconbury by about 1993 . 

2 hours ago, Mizar said:

It was said in the past not by me, but from another user which name's escapes me:

Monogram as they got the nose right, engine pods kinda wrong, weapon stores unknown and wheels not be replaced

Italeri as they got they nose wrong, engine pods kinda right, turbine fans to be replaced, ditto for wheels and weapon stores, also antenna job is needed cause they forgot some on the OA-10A box and some other more on the A-10C box

Hasegawa, fetch it for C parts to be added on Italeri kit, dual rail launcher was approved by him,

Academy I remember reading that they at first nailed the engine pods, then changed the tooling and got it wrong, I find it odd as a similar thing was said for Monogram/Revell F-104C drop tanks, yet this year I bought two F-104C from Japan and Canada and the drop tanks nailed the ones contained on Revell's 2005ish rebox of their F-104G

Avoid Hobbrycraft as it was a Monogram kit reboxed with lots and lots of flash and distorted parts

Maybe Matchbox for prototype

Hobbyboss kinda matches Italeri outline so I guess they ctrl+c/ctrl+v it

Luigi

Pretty sure this list refers to Warthogs in 1/72. OP is asking about 1/48. 

Mark

On 12/17/2019 at 8:56 AM, gb_madcat_sl said:

Pretty sure this list refers to Warthogs in 1/72. OP is asking about 1/48. 

I don't think Tamiya ever did the A-10 in 72nd - unless they reboxed another kit (Italeri?)

16 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ok so what makes it pre production?
What would you have to change to make it a Woodbridge A-10A?

Don't know enough to offer anything on a Woodbridge A-10A, but there's a build review at modelingmadness that has some pretty clear, objective statements about the Tamiya kit:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/usaf/fighter/younga10.htm

There's also a build review by David Aungst at Hyperscale that may be informative:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/a10adwa_2.htm

Interestingly, the modlingmadness review states that the panel lines are engraved, while the Aungst review states they are raised. I think the truth is that the kit (at least the original boxing) has a combination of both. I have read that Tamiya did some sort of an upgrade in the 1990s, but it's unclear what actually got upgraded besides decals.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Ok so what makes it pre production?

maybe I should have said early / initial production.  🕰️

The Tamiya kit was first released in the 70s and the molds have not been updated since.  

You would have to add/scratch all mods done to the A-10 in the last 40+ years. Seawinder provided some good links towards that end. 👍

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

Don't know enough to offer anything on a Woodbridge A-10A, but there's a build review at modelingmadness that has some pretty clear, objective statements about the Tamiya kit:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/usaf/fighter/younga10.htm

There's also a build review by David Aungst at Hyperscale that may be informative:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/a10adwa_2.htm

Interestingly, the modlingmadness review states that the panel lines are engraved, while the Aungst review states they are raised. I think the truth is that the kit (at least the original boxing) has a combination of both. I have read that Tamiya did some sort of an upgrade in the 1990s, but it's unclear what actually got upgraded besides decals.

Thanks for that. that second article is of use. The first not much.

52 minutes ago, habu2 said:

maybe I should have said early / initial production.  🕰️

The Tamiya kit was first released in the 70s and the molds have not been updated since.  

You would have to add/scratch all mods done to the A-10 in the last 40+ years. Seawinder provided some good links towards that end. 👍

Yeah I remember building it not many years after it was released. It was rather expensive at the time.

I wonder how the mighty Tamiya got the kit so wrong...
I remember seeing it at the open day when it actually had all those bombs the kit comes with hanging from it...

It makes me wonder if that was the jet that was here then, it was one of the prototypes at the open day.

So if the Tamiya kit is out then we move on to the Monogram kit.
I built that one too, It was according to scalemates the second boxing from 1991. When Revell released it did it lose the cheap hard plastic of the 90s?
What is wrong with the Monogram kit?

If I may "chime in again," the Revellogram suffers from some fit problems = lots of filler in some places. If you are good with raised panel lines that's a plus unless, you would choose to re-scribe the kit. The engine fans are a bit too shallow. The ailerons/speed brakes come in the open position. Not that these are bad things. You might need to source some AM products which may be not as readily available as Italeri and Hobby Boss to correct/bring up to date the kit depending on the era you chose to build from. Out of the five 1/48th scale kits (if we include the ESCI kit) the windscreen/canopy is the best IMO and I chose to use it for my HB build. No matter which kit you choose, you will have a lot of work ahead of you as none of them are great out of the box but, I digress....... this is only my opinion. 

Example of Revellogram kit in the markings I believe you are interested in.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235046462-a-10a-81-tfw-raf-bentwaterswoodbridge

Edited by taggor
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldnt care about recessing the panel lines as long as the base kit is worth working on.

Has anybody used the Flightpath photo etch sets with it?

From what I remember only the outer control surfaces are positionable. Is this accurate? or would they all be down when its on the ground?

Also given the amount of kits or weapon sets that have the LAU-88/A what one would you say is most accurate?
I think the Academy F-16A/C kit has one, any of the older A-10A kits and of course the Hasegawa missiles set