Wolfpack F-14A questions

3 hours ago, bushande said:

As far as I gathered, this was only a temporary feature of the first -412 iteration of the TF30s. What's missing are the smaller nozzle fairings lying over the actual feathers that would retract upon selecting burners or switching to idle. It's a challenge to depict that on a model. You would have to sand off the smaller fairings, rescribe the structure and add the brighter bracket. Tough but feasable.

What is interesting is that it looks like the inner half of the nozzle has the fairings or am I seeing it wrong?

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

I converted a Tamyia Tomcat to a "first cruise" early A a while back....hope it can be of any use

I don't know why I never commented on that build. Its really beautiful. The VF-1 markings are my all time favorite for the F-14. You captured it perfectly.

40 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I don't know why I never commented on that build. Its really beautiful. The VF-1 markings are my all time favorite for the F-14. You captured it perfectly.

Mine too, that's why it was so important to get it right.I was greatly helped by a similar thread a couple of years back. I got hold of the Fighter Town decalsheet and it held further information like positioning of probes and IRST.

I'm currently building the Hasegawa VF-1 kit right now as a VF-1 1st cruise (1974) Tomcat for a friend. I'm using the Fightertown and Furball decals along with aftermarket ordnance. I'm at the decal stage (for the past two weeks). For the Hasegawa kit, it has everything you need except ordnance, all you need to do for a 74/75 cruise Tomcat is shave off the tail stiffeners, they didn't have them on the first cruise. Also, from all the photos I looked at, they rarely carried drop tanks (but I'm hanging them anyway).

On 12/30/2019 at 11:14 PM, Whiskey said:

Can anyone attest to the quality and accuracy of DXM Decal's VF-1 set? I've got some of the EJ Kai decals but curious as to their Tomcat line of markings.

I've used them. I don't know about complete accuracy, but they look good and go on very well. The biggest issue with DXM is the grays they use. They are too light. 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:14 PM, Whiskey said:

Can anyone attest to the quality and accuracy of DXM Decal's VF-1 set? I've got some of the EJ Kai decals but curious as to their Tomcat line of markings.

I wrote a long reply listing what I think are the problems with the DXM decals, accuracy wise and it disappeared when I tried to save it. Will try again later after I calm down. :explode:

OK, lets try this again...

Problems with the DXM decals when applied to the Tamiya Tomcat. I refer you to the photos of this very nice build: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/79872-wichita-06-vf-1-wolfpack-f-14a-tomcat/

1. On the markings on the inside of the vertical stabilizers, the slant of the letters "NK" and the red area behind thim should line up perfectly with the hinge line of the rudder. The DXM decal's NK runs over the hinge at the top (if you line it up correctly on the bottom).

2. The tip of the forward section of the fuselage stripe, when place correctly, should just touch the tan part of the nosecone. It should then reach almost halfway across the bare metal part of the gun muzzle. This section, for the most part, remains fixed in length on all the early VF-1 F-14As. The middle section of the fuselage stripe is the only part of the stripe that varies in length to accommodate the varying lengths of the aircraft numbers. The rear part of the fuselage stripe should also remain fixed in length as it reaches from the back to the stars and bars to the air intake.

3. On the build linked above, the fuselage stripe is set too low on the fuselage. It should only just overlap the metal part of the gun muzzle and should overlap the louvered vent that is above the formation lights about half way. I don't know if the DXM decal will fit properly if the stripe is moved up. Depends on how long the forward and middle sections are.  On the real thing, the top of the fuselage stripe sticks up above the part of the intake it meets, just about the size of the narrow red part of the stripe (if that makes sense. You can see what I mean in ARC review of the Fightertown decals:

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2701-2800/rev2764-Fightertown-ftd48014/00.shtm

So, that it. May make no difference to some, but to me, these are problems that jump out at me because I've become so familiar with the subject.

Edit: One last thing. Not a problem, it seems, with the DXM decals, but something you'll want to check if you use a different set. On outer vert stab, the tip of the wolf's nose should just touch the edge of the bare metal leading edge and the curve behind the wolf head should just touch the hinge. Also note that the position of the inner and outer tail markings should be the same. see below...

05retcrop.jpg.1464741b351b809e599173702ddbb17c.jpg

Edited by Mstor
2 minutes ago, Mstor said:

OK, lets try this again...

Problems with the DXM decals when applied to the Tamiya Tomcat. I refer you to the photos of this very nice build: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/79872-wichita-06-vf-1-wolfpack-f-14a-tomcat/

1. On the markings on the inside of the vertical stabilizers, the slant of the letters "NK" and the red area behind thim should line up perfectly with the hinge line of the rudder. The DXM decal's NK runs over the hinge at the top (if you line it up correctly on the bottom).

2. The tip of the forward section of the fuselage stripe, when place correctly, should just touch the tan part of the nosecone. It should then reach almost halfway across the bare metal part of the gun muzzle. This section, for the most part, remains fixed in length on all the early VF-1 F-14As. The middle section of the fuselage stripe is the only part of the stripe that varies in length to accommodate the varying lengths of the aircraft numbers. The rear part of the fuselage stripe should also remain fixed in length as it reaches from the back to the stars and bars to the air intake.

3. On the build linked above, the fuselage stripe is set too low on the fuselage. It should only just overlap the metal part of the gun muzzle and should overlap the louvered vent that is above the formation lights about half way. I don't know if the DXM decal will fit properly if the stripe is moved up. Depends on how long the forward and middle sections are.  On the real thing, the top of the fuselage stripe sticks up above the part of the intake it meets, just about the size of the narrow red part of the stripe (if that makes sense. You can see what I mean in ARC review of the Fightertown decals:

https://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev3/2701-2800/rev2764-Fightertown-ftd48014/00.shtm

So, that it. May make no difference to some, but to me, these are problems that jump out at me because I've become so familiar with the subject.

To quote the movie Amadeus: "Well, there it is!"  

Great insight into the decals.

21 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Wow thanks bro! That was a lot more detail than I honestly expected! Many things to ponder as far as making a purchase now.

Unless you're doing the Hasegawa F-14, which the Fightertown decals are fitted to, there really are no perfect or easy answers. I've bought a number of VF-1 sets, a few from Far East companies I hadn't heard of before and can't remember the name of right now for the life of me, but none of them are sized right for the Tamiya kit. Some are WAY off. The old Microscale set is very close but the color red they use is almost florescent, i.e. wrong. The DXM set seems about the closest. I have to go back and measure the fuselage stripe. The part that worries me about that is the forward section. I think its too short. I may consider getting a second set and adding pieces cut from one to extend the other. Or I may see if the Fightertown and DXM colors are close enough to use the fuselage stripe from the Fightertown set (if it will fit).

Being a "rivet counter" about these markings has really been a pain in the foot, but once I see a problem I have a hard time not seeing it. :hmmm:

Edited by Mstor
7 hours ago, smokeriderdon said:

I have a decal set for the early VF-1 planes with the intention of doing the Frequent Wind plane. So I am glad this came up!

I have the new mold Tamiya F-14A on the way. I take it that one does not have the necessary parts.

It doesn't, but Steel Beach has a conversion set for the pre-production airframe. It has the early boat tail that's necessary for this time frame. You'll need to source an early gun vent from Quickboost. I had one in my line, but it was very difficult to cast, so I took it out of production.

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

It doesn't, but Steel Beach has a conversion set for the pre-production airframe. It has the early boat tail that's necessary for this time frame. You'll need to source an early gun vent from Quickboost. I had one in my line, but it was very difficult to cast, so I took it out of production.

Thank you for the info sir!

A very informative thread. My thanks to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, smokeriderdon said:

OK, so what is the kit number for the Hasegawa kit with the correct early boat tail parts? Is it just one boxing or is it in others? 

07020 P20 Tomcat "Wolf Pack"

09917 VF-1 Wolfpack

09797 VF-2 Bounty Hunters

All 1/48th scale

7 hours ago, Mstor said:

07020 P20 Tomcat "Wolf Pack"

09917 VF-1 Wolfpack

09797 VF-2 Bounty Hunters

All 1/48th scale

The VF-2 Bounty Hunters release is fantastic. It has both the early boat tail and standard beaver tail in it. You can build a Tomcat from a wide range of eras from that kit.