Heller/Airfix F-15 Eagle 1/48

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Looks very much like an Academy kit. The parts breakdown is very similar from what I can tell. More so than a Hasegawa or Italeri kit.

Good point - I agree it looks like the Academy kit with their too pronounced bulges over the engines.

4 hours ago, Pierre Sacha said:

Thanks kindly guys, after some searching I am also sure it is the Italeri kit. I think the Academy has droop-able intakes which should make them look different. The Sidewinders also look kinda Italeri -ish.

Regards,

Pierre

Here's a pic of the Italeri top fuselage. Note that the forward part of the air intakes are molded to the fuselage. Compare that to the pics of the fuselage in the link you provided. They don't match up.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/pages/it_2763_parts1.shtml

Here's a link to the parts displayed in the eBay link you provided:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-1-48-EAGLE-F-15-60410/283477068587?hash=item42008ccb2b:g:an0AAOSwmPFc0dKm

Finally, here's a link to the Academy kit's fuselage parts...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/images/aca_12221_parts1.jpg

17 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Didnt Airfix do a "high tech" F-15 with some photo etch in it.
Is it that kit?

That was a 1/72 scale kit I believe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRFIX-1-72nd-SCALE-HI-TECH-F-15A-B-KIT-WITH-PHOTO-ETCH-PEWTER-PARTS-10009/163696637793?hash=item261d147761:g:w1EAAOSw~2hb0mre

Edited by Mstor
On 12/19/2019 at 5:44 PM, jenshb said:

Since Airfix released the Italeri C-130 under their label (and possibly other kits), I would put my money on that kit being from Italeri tooling.

Heller also reboxed the Italeri F-16 in 1/48.

It can't be the Hasegawa kit - look at hte engine bulges.  They are too sharply defined - and that is a feature of the earlier releases of the Academy kit.  I'm not aware of Hasegawa having shared moulds with Airfix and Heller.

Never mind finer details like the engine bulges, THe Hasegawa kit has the top part of the intakes as part of the fusalage while the airfix kit doesnt.

Could be Academy until you get to the HUD on the nose section parts. One has the HUD framing the other doesnt.... Did Academy have an early release? I looked at the F-15C MSIP version.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Could be Academy until you get to the HUD on the nose section parts. One has the HUD framing the other doesnt.... Did Academy have an early release? I looked at the F-15C MSIP version.

I think they just glued the HUD part to the fuselage part. I can't see any differences between this and the academy kit.

6 hours ago, jenshb said:

It can't be the Hasegawa kit - look at hte engine bulges.  They are too sharply defined - and that is a feature of the earlier releases of the Academy kit.  I'm not aware of Hasegawa having shared moulds with Airfix and Heller.

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong piece. It does look like the Academy kit.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I would say the same myself. But not knowing if that part has been glued in place it is a difference.

It looks like one of the early releases of the C/D kit had the HUD frame as part of the fuselage parts. The Modeling Madness review of Academy kits #1685 has a small photo of all the sprues, but you can just make out the HUD. It is also shown in the instructions. There are links to both the instructions and the MM review here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-1685-mcdonnell-douglas-f-15-c-d-eagle--107360

I have the early Academy F-15E kit #1687 and the HUD frames are molded onto the fwd fuselage/glareshield as shown. The speedbrake area and upper fuselage look identical to the Academy parts. 

I sure hope Heller included better decals, the ones in the early Academy kit are crap. 

4 hours ago, Pierre Sacha said:

Thanks Mstor, I stand fully corrected, much appreciated,

Regards,

Pierre

No problem. It was fun doing the searches and investigating all those kits. I love this type of stuff :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have the early Academy F-15E kit #1687 and the HUD frames are molded onto the fwd fuselage/glareshield as shown. The speedbrake area and upper fuselage look identical to the Academy parts. 

I sure hope Heller included better decals, the ones in the early Academy kit are crap. 

When you say the early kit what version do you mean exactly?
I know they make a new tool to get the F-15K. I assume you mean any kit before that?