Eduard> Tamiya, HAS, etc how?

Eduard has the motivation!  Download the “INFO Eduard” publication from their website each month to hear from Vlad about their plans, learn some actual history about their current or past subjects, see some beautiful builds, and preview what’s coming up.   They are a great company that continues to get better!  I’ve built their new tool MiG-21, Spitfire(x2), Bf 109(x2), and P-51.  The accolades are very much deserved!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

The Eduard produced kits are Very Nice. I have their Mig-21 and P-51 kits in 48th.  Both are Very Nice. 

The challenge is knowing which “Eduard“ kits are/aren’t reboxes of other manufacturers kits. 

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

The Eduard produced kits are Very Nice. I have their Mig-21 and P-51 kits in 48th.  Both are Very Nice. 

The challenge is knowing which “Eduard“ kits are/aren’t reboxes of other manufacturers kits. 

It’s not difficult to figure out. Checkout  scalemates.com if you want to know whether the kit is a re-box of something else or original.  

Eduard is by far and away producing most of their own subjects in house these days and they are getting better and better at it!

Edited by Falconxlvi

Their Spitfire's and Tempest kits and they are really, really nice also. I've got 5 of their MiG-21s also in the really, really nice category. I also have one of the Overtrees of the Hasegawa/Eduard F-8E, wish I could find more.

Edited by Falcon053
1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

It’s not difficult to figure out. Checkout  scalemates.com if you want to know whether the kit is a re-box of something else or original.  

Eduard is by far and away producing most of their own subjects in house these days and they are getting better and better at it!

I think you missed the point of what I said.

It doesnt really matter if its their original work or not does it.

I'm curious about Hasegawa. Are they to the point where they won't be releasing anything new in 1/48 scale in regards to jets? I know they do very good business in other categories. It seems they might be content to simply rerelease kits and maybe add new decals.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I am missing your point completely.  IMO it does matter.

The quality and engineering of the Eduard-produced Mig-21 kits far exceeds the quality and engineering of the Kinetic-reboxed-by-Eduard F-16s.

I don't mean that to be a slam against all Kinetic kits but the F-16 was one of their first attempts and even Kinetic admits it.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I am missing your point completely.  IMO it does matter.

The quality and engineering of the Eduard-produced Mig-21 kits far exceeds the quality and engineering of the Kinetic-reboxed-by-Eduard F-16s.

I don't mean that to be a slam against all Kinetic kits but the F-16 was one of their first attempts and even Kinetic admits it.

I don't see his point either. Because it does matter if it's an in-house Eduard mold or a rebox from another company. With their own kits you can expect at least a certain level of quality. With reboxes it can vary from turds to well selected quality kits. Another example is their reboxes of the shitty Academy MiG-29 and Su-27 with a few resins, pe and decal to spruce up things, yet still shitty kits compared to today standards or other kits they've reboxed.

Edited by Inquisitor
3 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

Another example is their reboxes of the shitty Academy MiG-29 and Su-27 with a few resins, pe and decal to spruce up things, yet still shitty kits compared to today standards or other kits they've reboxed.

Add to that the KP Su-17/22 and Su-25. Did they do a KP Su-7 too?

The question was asked how did Eduard go from Photo Etch manufacture to producing their own very high quality kits?  The answer is a love for the hobby and a desire to be involved in making the hobby better.  Its in part the opportunity to have the freedom to have a dream and the ability to start a business on a shoestring and follow that dream.  Its trying new things, making mistakes, learning, and trying again.  It is not giving up, deciding that doing things "in house" was the ultimate goal and year by years taking steps to achieve that goal.  They have gone from crude photo etch, then learning to use etching masks to produce layered etch.  Then crude epoxy molds to produce limited run kits and each kit learning and improving upon their next kit.  It is having a bit of ego and believing in yourself and your dream.  Eduard has embraced technology and is constantly evolving and pushing their abilities.  Personally I like their way of doing variants by proving an entire new part such as a wing or fuselage rather than using inserts or multiple parts such as different panels or separate noses or tails to mate to existing parts.  I much prefer how Eduard does things than say Kitty Hawk with their using 5 or so many fuselage pieces to make up a different version.  Say on the Kitty Hawk F9F Cougar, Eduard would have just done two or three different fuselages rather than making 5 interlocking pieces to make up the difference in fuselages between versions.  Having started several business and failed at a few, I really admire Eduard as a business.     

2 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I didnt say it doesnt matter if the kit is any good or not, what I said was it doesnt matter if it is or isnt their original work

But that's the entire point of the OP's question.  Eduard didn't advance by reboxing other manufacturer's kits, good or bad.  The OP's question specificaly related to Eduard's kits produced in-house.

1 hour ago, aircal62 said:

The question was asked how did Eduard go from Photo Etch manufacture to producing their own very high quality kits?  The answer is a love for the hobby and a desire to be involved in making the hobby better.  Its in part the opportunity to have the freedom to have a dream and the ability to start a business on a shoestring and follow that dream.  Its trying new things, making mistakes, learning, and trying again.  It is not giving up, deciding that doing things "in house" was the ultimate goal and year by years taking steps to achieve that goal.  They have gone from crude photo etch, then learning to use etching masks to produce layered etch.  Then crude epoxy molds to produce limited run kits and each kit learning and improving upon their next kit.  It is having a bit of ego and believing in yourself and your dream.  Eduard has embraced technology and is constantly evolving and pushing their abilities.  Personally I like their way of doing variants by proving an entire new part such as a wing or fuselage rather than using inserts or multiple parts such as different panels or separate noses or tails to mate to existing parts.  I much prefer how Eduard does things than say Kitty Hawk with their using 5 or so many fuselage pieces to make up a different version.  Say on the Kitty Hawk F9F Cougar, Eduard would have just done two or three different fuselages rather than making 5 interlocking pieces to make up the difference in fuselages between versions.  Having started several business and failed at a few, I really admire Eduard as a business.     

Great synopsis!  I love it!  I would also like to add that they did this out of the ashes of a post-USSR Czechoslovakia, which in my mind makes it even more impressive.   

On 12/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, Falcon053 said:

Their Spitfire's and Tempest kits and they are really, really nice also. I've got 5 of their MiG-21s also in the really, really nice category. I also have one of the Overtrees of the Hasegawa/Eduard F-8E, wish I could find more.

I agree 100%  I have begun doing airplanes again, since not having done so since I was little, and all 3 of my completed planes are 1/48 Eduard (Spitfire Mk. VIII, FW-190A-4, and Tempest Mk. 5 Series 2) and all 3 have been fantastic!   I also have their MiG-21 (the Around the World release) which I have not started yet, and I have more FW-190s, more Spitfires, a Bf-109 in my collection, all as yet unstarted, I’ve begun parts of their P-51D, and I have another ‘109, and another Series 2 Tempest (and a Series 1) on the way.  

So, am I sold on Eduard kits...you betcha!!

And...what am I going to do next?  Just started the Tamiya P-38F/G, and it will be interesting to see what it’s like to do a Tamiya right after the Eduards.   I’m wondering, myself, what I’m going to think...

And sorry for the non-jet content, folks. 

Edited by Curt B
6 hours ago, seawinder said:

And let's not forget their F6F series, IMHO easily the best 1/48 kits of the type. Their Mirages are pretty good as well.

I'm thrilled about the Hellcat.  As much as I think I know about Eduard kits, I surely don't know a lot, and I know how significant the Hellcat was in the Pacific, despite it's short, stubby/chubby appearance.  I guess I owe it to myself to get a Tamiya Corsair, and now, an Eduard F6F to even out my currently 100% ETO airplanes.  However, I guess I'm starting my Pacific aircraft group with the P-38 I'm just beginning and going to build as Miss Virginia...

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, Curt B said:

I'm thrilled about the Hellcat.  As much as I think I know about Eduard kits, I surely don't know a lot, and I know how significant the Hellcat was in the Pacific, despite it's short, stubby/chubby appearance.  I guess I owe it to myself to get a Tamiya Corsair, and now, an Eduard F6F to even out my currently 100% ETO airplanes.  However, I guess I'm starting my Pacific aircraft group with the P-38 I'm just beginning and going to build as Miss Virginia...

Eduard does ETO Hellcats 😉 There's markings out there for ETO Corsairs as well (both served in the ETO, primarily in the FAA).