Eduard> Tamiya, HAS, etc how?

I've built both their 1/48 Mirage IIIC and Mig-21 SMT. The release date Of both was several years apart and the improvement between them is amazing. The Mirage was a nice kit, but the Mig is a whole different level. And I imagine all the WW2 releases since are even more so. But how about they actually give us some newer Cold War era subjects, rather than reboxing everyone else's kits??

Edited by joeltc
grammar
3 hours ago, joeltc said:

I've built both their 1/48 Mirage IIIC and Mig-21 SMT. The release date Of both was several years apart and the improvement between them is amazing. The Mirage was a nice kit, but the Mig is a whole different level. And I imagine all the WW2 releases since are even more so. But how about they actually give us some newer Cold War era subjects, rather than reboxing everyone else's kits??

Good to know since i have the MiG-21SMT, but haven't built it yet.  I have done 3 of their WWII planes, all of which were great.  The Cold War plane I'd like to see them do their own state of the art molds of is the MiG-23.  I know they have reboxed and added details to the Trumpeter MiG-23, but I hope they do their own someday soon.

Edited by Curt B
26 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Good to know since i have the MiG-21SMT, but haven't built it yet.  I have done 3 of their WWII planes, all of which were great.  The Cold War plane I'd like to see them do their own state of the art molds of is the MiG-23.  I know they have rebooted and added details to the trumpeter MiG-23, but I hope they do their own someday soon.

I would love too see that myself!

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Good to know since i have the MiG-21SMT, but haven't built it yet.  I have done 3 of their WWII planes, all of which were great.  The Cold War plane I'd like to see them do their own state of the art molds of is the MiG-23.  I know they have reboxed and added details to the Trumpeter MiG-23, but I hope they do their own someday soon.

Well that'd have my vote too. Maybe after a few more WW2 subjects and a couple more reboxes of misshapen kits...HAHAHA! 😂

• 1 month later...

I another thread, I announced my receipt of an Eduard 1/48 Limited Edition MiG-23BN model.  I'm waiting with patience to even think about building it...with SO MANY OTHER models I've started but not yet finished!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:21 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I'm curious about Hasegawa. Are they to the point where they won't be releasing anything new in 1/48 scale in regards to jets? I know they do very good business in other categories. It seems they might be content to simply rerelease kits and maybe add new decals.

I think Hasegawa has created it's own nitch by accident. That would be 1/32 props. Look at their newer Zeros. Best out there without a second thought. Their 109's are excellent. 

I liked the Meng ME163 better, but their kit still stands up well. Everybody these days are making some nice kits for the most part. 

gary

Honestly...the new 1/48 Eduard P-51D is pretty disappointing. 

I'm not trying to make some edgy hot take, but for a model that goes for $45-50..they made some design choices that are really disappointing. No intake ducting for the water and oil radiator, not offering a one piece cowling option so instead now having to have an overscale and ugly seam to fix, lack of positive position points, etc. 

Their 1/48 Tempest is excellent, and their Spitfires are very nice as well...just...unpopular opinion, but their Mustang was a swing and miss. At least to me. 

Seriously if you think the Eduard Mustang is disappointing good luck ever being happy with any injected kit to ever be released in the future.

As for Eduard...

To the OP..

They started off doing PE.

Thus expanded in the mud 90’s to low pressure limited run injection kits.

This expanded into not so limited run stuff.

Injection pressures went up quality improved sales increased.

They pioneered colour PE.

id guess around early 2000’s they spent a huge Amount investing in CAD and high quality injection machines. This allowed a large jump in quality allowing them to take on Tamiya, Hasegawa etc.

They also released high quality good fitting resin for their kits.

Brilliant idea which cornered a large portion of the market.

Release a high quality kit at a great price with masks and etch AND make high quality resin for those wanting to go the extra yard.

They have continued to refine their process until they have reached the level they are today.

Not without controversy etc ie the 109G disaster which no doubt cost them a small fortune.

Still they contribute a massive amount to the hobby on many levels and stand behind their products which upsets a large number of people.

They started doing repops of other companies kits i guess about 10 years ago where they added high quality decals, resin, color PE and masks plus other bits and pieces.

Just read the Eduard mag they are VERY CLEAR about what kits are rebagged other manufacturers kits...very clear.

A great manufacturer by any standard except those who hate them for reasons only known to themselves...

7 hours ago, dehowie said:

Seriously if you think the Eduard Mustang is disappointing good luck ever being happy with any injected kit to ever be released in the future.

As for Eduard...

To the OP..

They started off doing PE.

Thus expanded in the mud 90’s to low pressure limited run injection kits.

This expanded into not so limited run stuff.

Injection pressures went up quality improved sales increased.

They pioneered colour PE.

id guess around early 2000’s they spent a huge Amount investing in CAD and high quality injection machines. This allowed a large jump in quality allowing them to take on Tamiya, Hasegawa etc.

They also released high quality good fitting resin for their kits.

Brilliant idea which cornered a large portion of the market.

Release a high quality kit at a great price with masks and etch AND make high quality resin for those wanting to go the extra yard.

They have continued to refine their process until they have reached the level they are today.

Not without controversy etc ie the 109G disaster which no doubt cost them a small fortune.

Still they contribute a massive amount to the hobby on many levels and stand behind their products which upsets a large number of people.

They started doing repops of other companies kits i guess about 10 years ago where they added high quality decals, resin, color PE and masks plus other bits and pieces.

Just read the Eduard mag they are VERY CLEAR about what kits are rebagged other manufacturers kits...very clear.

A great manufacturer by any standard except those who hate them for reasons only known to themselves...

+ the fact they are one of the first resin producers using 3D printing to make masters, giving in the end part details rarely seen before.

16 hours ago, dehowie said:

Yeah, it is disappointing. You look into the intake of the radiator assembly and you see a GREAT BIG NOTHING. They don't even provide a textured plastic part representing the forward face of the radiator, nor the associated ducting. 

Again, the Spitfire and Tempest were exceptional kits, the P-51 falls well short of those standards. 

9 hours ago, PouK9 said:

Honestly... your opinion is pretty (pretty, pretty, pretty 🙂) disappointing

Mustang is $25, for a kit, which includes PE, masks and great decal.

No, the Mustang is not $25. The weekend edition will be. 

The standard price for the Eduard P-51 ProfiPack is about $45 US, and on top of that I'd likely have to spend another $15 on a resin radiator assembly to correct Eduard's bewildering omission. So in reality it's about a $60 kit. 

Seriously, anyone who can defend Eduards to completely omit the forward radiator assembly on supposedly state of the art kit doesn't include something that a $20 airfix P-51 does should sign up for the olympic team, because that's some impressive gymnastics 

Edited by Jonathan_Lotton
3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Yeah, it is disappointing. You look into the intake of the radiator assembly and you see a GREAT BIG NOTHING. They don't even provide a textured plastic part representing the forward face of the radiator, nor the associated ducting. 

Again, the Spitfire and Tempest were exceptional kits, the P-51 falls well short of those standards. 

So, we're talking about the radiator inside the housing under the wing, yes? I've got a Tamiya P-51 I built some years ago on my work table and am trying to look into the intake without picking up and turning over the model. Ah yes, if I get my head down to the edge of the table and sight directly aft under the propeller, I can barely see that there's no radiator in there. If I build another one and decide that this is unsatisfactory (not likely), I'll maybe cut a piece of sheet styrene to fit inside the housing and paint it a dark steel color so it hides the view into the yawning void.

I'm not trying to defend Eduard for failing to provide the radiator, I just fail to see that it's such a big deal. But then, I don't tend to get too upset about inaccuracies in wheel wells either because I don't ordinarily display my models upside down.

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

So, we're talking about the radiator inside the housing under the wing, yes? I've got a Tamiya P-51 I built some years ago on my work table and am trying to look into the intake without picking up and turning over the model. Ah yes, if I get my head down to the edge of the table and sight directly aft under the propeller, I can barely see that there's no radiator in there. If I build another one and decide that this is unsatisfactory (not likely), I'll maybe cut a piece of sheet styrene to fit inside the housing and paint it a dark steel color so it hides the view into the yawning void.

I'm not trying to defend Eduard for failing to provide the radiator, I just fail to see that it's such a big deal. But then, I don't tend to get too upset about inaccuracies in wheel wells either because I don't ordinarily display my models upside down.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. 

This is the assembly on the Airfix P-51.  

enhance

To each there own but for $45 a kit with beautiful detail, great decals for 6-8 options, a set of masks and color etch to me is the bargain of the century.

If detail missing from the interior of the radiator puts you off go buy the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 11:44 AM, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Honestly...the new 1/48 Eduard P-51D is pretty disappointing. 

I'm not trying to make some edgy hot take, but for a model that goes for $45-50..they made some design choices that are really disappointing. No intake ducting for the water and oil radiator, not offering a one piece cowling option so instead now having to have an overscale and ugly seam to fix, lack of positive position points, etc. 

Their 1/48 Tempest is excellent, and their Spitfires are very nice as well...just...unpopular opinion, but their Mustang was a swing and miss. At least to me. 

I was happy with the Airfix kit. Have never seen the Eduard kit in the flesh, and always liked the Tamiya kit

gary

12 hours ago, PouK9 said:

Ed's surface detail vs Airfix. And I like this :)

eduard_mustang.JPG

25usd.JPG

Try again. 

e2sC1Ey.png

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/edu82102.htm

So no, the Eduard P-51 isn't 25 dollars.  And if you like the Eduard P-51, good for you, I think it's a disappointment compared with what they accomplished before with the Spitfire and Tempest. 

Edited by Jonathan_Lotton

Well, that's a reasonable price to be a Superpower, sir 🙂 At least, two world wars and no enemy soldier never tread american territory 🙂 

Hope I wrote it right. Not so sure about my english 🙂 Just keep in mind, that double negatives in ukrainian and english can mean totally opposite things.

Edited by PouK9
On 3/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, dehowie said:

How can you hate them?
They either put out their own kits which are very good or rebox other manufacturers kits which are also very good.

Thats why I said much earlier in this thread it doesnt matter if the pastic is theirs or not, the kits are always very good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, ElectroSoldier said:

How can you hate them?
They either put out their own kits which are very good or rebox other manufacturers kits which are also very good.

Thats why I said much earlier in this thread it doesnt matter if the pastic is theirs or not, the kits are always very good.

Some of their reboxes are mediocre kits with really nice bits added. The Kinetic F-16 reboxes come to mind there.

Eduard is limited in what molds are available to rebox.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:51 PM, habu2 said:

The Eduard produced kits are Very Nice. I have their Mig-21 and P-51 kits in 48th.  Both are Very Nice. 

The challenge is knowing which “Eduard“ kits are/aren’t reboxes of other manufacturers kits. 

Not a challenge at all: they tell you on their website.  Check out the product page just below the panel containing the links to Description", "Galleries", etc, where it says "Plastic parts" ...

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/p-51d-mustang-1-48-1-4.html

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/warhawk-1-32.html?listtype=search&searchparam=p-40n

I've always liked Eduard.  Their 1/48 P-39 series seemed to me to mark the point at which they became a mainstream kit manufacturer (facts and others' opinions may vary).  Since then they have got steadily better, but I do feel they are now tending to be somewhat over-engineered.  I built the P-51 alongside the Airfix example, and the Eduard was far more fiddly with tiny parts my aging fingers and eyesight struggled to cope with*.  There are also some strange (imo) design decisions: others have mentioned the intake and radiators assembly, and the tailwheel proved for me almost impossible to fit as per the instructions.

*One reason I'm now more into 1/32 scale.

Edited by MikeC