What do I need to do to sell unbuilt models

Some people may be interested in the small group of kits, or you may get people who only want part of it. You'll have to decide if you'd be willing to break up the group. If the kits are missing things, then you should expect that some or all may not sell at all. Its just how it goes. 

Have you got a spreadsheet of all the kits you have? Some people in your shoes will just list them all and see what interest there is in what kits. If you get swamped with replies, you can post a reply saying that offers are on hold until you have it sorted. Just an idea.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

Some people may be interested in the small group of kits, or you may get people who only want part of it.

Another option is a single kit bundled with aftermarket items, e.g. a kit plus an applicable decal sheet or resin set.

Reply to Specter 1075: I do have an Excel spreadsheet with most of the models listed. Fortunately, a good friend of mine who is a Geek Squad Agent  and fellow model builder, encouraged me to keep a record of things I purchased or acquired to track costs and to know just how much "stuff" I had accumulated beginning way back in 2004. It has turned out to be an eye opening experience.  

During our move to this place it came in very handy to know what was in the boxes. There were many entries that simply said, "box of model stuff", but that enabled me to label such boxes and put them in the same room.  I have erected two temporary shelving units in my wife's sewing room and  I am in the process of sorting what I have inventoried by scale.  I am making new discoveries every day. Like the two boxes from the yard sale that contain 13 or 14 separate models with missing pieces. I hope someone will have need for "spare" parts and want them. 

Per previous suggestions, I intend to start off small, and I was thinking since these models with missing pieces are heavily discounted, that I would at least try to sell them as a package deal. Those two boxes take up a lot of space. I have already measured and listed the box sizes of almost all of the models on the spreadsheet,  When the postal meter gets here (Monday) I will be able to do an informed listing and provide necessary information to potential buyers. Thank you for your continued support.  Dennis

Reply to habu2: I only have two models with after market items, and both are complete 1/48 kits. The boxes have been opened, but that's about as far as I got after acquiring them. One is an A-26B Invader by Pro Modeler with a Paragon 4897 Eight-Gun Nose, the other is a Monogram A/B-26C Invader with an A811 A-26 Gun Nose by In Country Hobbies. One thing I noticed about the yard sale models of WW2 German aircraft that only the decals are missing. The model was not touched. Thank you for your suggestions and assistance.  Dennis

I wouldnt know what ebay needs to set up as a seller these days, Ive been on there for 17 years or so.

I know I wouldnt trust a web site that asked to to box em all up and they will send you what ever they think its worth and thats the end of it because they will low ball you every time.

I remember the guy I was in touch with offered me about the retail of what the 48th scale kits would sell for which means the 72nd stuff would be pure profit.

The effort of selling them yourself will reap more for them. If you sell them here you wont make the same money as you might on ebay but the circle seems more real and friendly. I have bought from guys on here before and sold too without a single problem.

Reply to ElectroSoldier: The eBay thing simply intimidates my wife and me due to our ignorance of all things retail and being skittish about such things.  We both know people who do sell on eBay and we have heard mixed reviews, both good and not so good. Until I had this need to liquidate my over abundance of plastic models, eBay was just a place where she and I went to buy things. I will say that I have never had a bad experience with any seller, except one time a seller went on a 3 week vacation and did not tell anybody he was gone. I did get my stuff, just took over a month.

I feel very comfortable with ARC and I believe with the PayPal.Me system, things should run pretty smoothly. This PPM is new to us too, but it appears pretty simple to use, so come Tuesday I should get a feel for being a seller. A good seller at that. I just hope I have models that other ARC members want. Kind of nervous about this. A rejection thing or fear of failure. When I was in USAF avionics we had a big sign above the bench area: FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.  I have tried to up hold that mission statement most of my adult life.  Thank you for replying to my posts.  Dennis

The only difference between here and ebay is ebay offers a level of protection with regards to getting your money should things go wrong. No such protection is offered here. ARC cant reverse somebody sending you money with a credit card and then taking it back due to a fraudulent transaction. On the other hand there is no protection for the buy either...

I wouldnt buy from somebody who isnt a long time user of the site because of that.

Reply to ElectroSoldier: I totally agree with your assessment of eBay versus ARC.  I believe with PayPal.Me, Goods and Services, both the buyer and the seller are protected somewhat. And most of the transactions on ARC are based on trust. Because I want to sell over 100 models, it would not be in my best interest to do anything but ship the merchandise as agreed to.  I do not want to end up on the "BAD SELLER" list.  I do hope you see something on my list and contact me with an offer to buy. Then I can fulfill the trust you place in me.  That, in itself, will be most rewarding !  Thank you for input on this subject.  Dennis 

If you live in the rural countryside, i have seen some ebay sellers make a note in their description "i only ship out this or that day/only mondays and fridays" etc. etc. Some sellers really lay it all out in the description in bold & red letters while others like to keep it short "Got this kit for sale, thanks for looking". Personally, i`m somewhere in the middle. Selling should be fun so don`t make it sound dramatic like the buyer is signing a prenuptial agreement. Get used to simple phrases to describe the condition and what you have for sale. Also, good quality pictures are key elements when selling. For someone with 100 kits and trying to sell them i probably would get together some lots for the less interesting ones, again since time is money 😎

Reply to breadneck: Shipping on a daily basis from here is not an issue. We are only 4 miles from the post office, and with their "click and ship" program, pickup can be scheduled the next business day. It is my good intention to ship the next day after payment is received. As far as the listings, I am following the suggestions of several ARC members to keep it simple. This is an example of a listing:   1/48 Apollo 11 Lunar Lander, Factory Sealed Monogram 85-6060  $30.00 + S&H.  I have discovered that postage has really gotten a bit expensive.  It is outrageous to ship to Canada. I image Norway costs even more.  I do thank you for your suggestions and you replies.  Dennis

It has been 6 days since I began the inventory and set up process, but I am finished now and my wife and I are neck deep in boxes and packing materials. So I guess we are ready and I am about to begin listing models I want to sell.

I want to take time now, before I begin the listing to thank Bob at Sierra Scale for his very informative assistance. I also want to thank Specter1075 for his assistance and special guidance with all of the behind the scenes activities required to become a good seller. Because of his assistance I can now ship internationally. So here's looking at you in Norway  breadneck !!!