ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hawkwrench

Cleaning Future from an airbrush

Getting ready to shoot future on my HB F-14D and I've never used it before. I've bought the ammonia free windex to clean it afterwards. What's the steps so that I don't ruin my Patriot?

Thanks

Tim

I heard windex works well.   FWIW, if you aren't sold on Future, I got a tip here to use Tamiya X-22 clear gloss.   I tried and love the stuff, I'll never go back to Future which to me, was difficult to use.  Always ended up with issues.

Regardless, good luck!

I've had better luck with Future by brushing it on using a wide soft brush. However, I now use Tamiya X-22 exclusively, better results. 

6 hours ago, airmechaja said:

Ammonia is what works to clean Future from your airbrush. Windex without ammonia won't work.

I thought the ammonia was what would tear the seals up so that's why I bought the ammonia free version.

Tim

On 12/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, 11bee said:

I heard windex works well.   FWIW, if you aren't sold on Future, I got a tip here to use Tamiya X-22 clear gloss.   I tried and love the stuff, I'll never go back to Future which to me, was difficult to use.  Always ended up with issues.

Regardless, good luck!

How did you find it difficult to use?

On 12/30/2019 at 1:09 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

How did you find it difficult to use?

Always got uneven finishes, had issues with the extended drying time causing dust particles to get stuck to it and honestly, found that to get a truly high gloss finish, it took numerous coats.

Compared to X-22 which goes on easily, dries quickly and at best, requires 2 coats for a very smooth, hard, glossy finish.    I know other folks are disciples of Future but for me, I'm never going back.

Edited by 11bee

Oh right I see, yeah it does require some "skill" to use it. Cant disagree with your call on Tamiya though.

I use both myself, depending on what Im doing... I find Klear works best in small areas.

Alcohol will work in cleaning Future from airbrushes. I would use either that or water. Ammonia will react with the brass that most airbrushes are made of and you will see the chrome finish come off and eventually damage to the surface. At the very least rinse the airbrush with water after using anything with ammonia.