Two Hornets for this group build. First the older Hasegawa with Leading Edge decals, then the newer Kinetic kit, which will also get Leading Edge decals.

7O9zSKy.jpg

Hope to start perhaps on boxing day.

Right cockpits. The Hasegawa (older kit) is on the right, newer, Kinetic to the left.

Both have raised detail which come out nice with dry brushing. However, the main panel and other detail is superior in the Kinetic. The Hasegawa has a better looking ejection seat. The kinetic appears a little wide. I messed up and put the Kenetic photo etch for the belts on the Hasgegawa, (oh well). Kenetic wins this page.

6YJDjU4.jpg

Edited by phantom

The Hasegawa is much more secure, better fit all around. THe Kinetic is going to require putty around the nose. Both have a easy to cut out hole for the Canadian spotlight.

Hasegawa wins big time on this page.

ZJnrTmQ.jpg

Thanks. Has left, Kin right.

The intakes you can see are better detailed on the Has, so too the actuators that control the flaps. They just look off to me on the Kinetic. Hasegawa wins this page.

dlOmKRS.jpg

Edited by phantom

Pretty close here. Both have good attachment points for the flaps. However, Kinetic has a refuelling probe. It also has easy to fold wings. You can fold the Hasegawa flaps,  with aftermarket parts. Or get the special edition Hasegawa fit that comes with the ability. Think Kinetic wins this page. but just barely.

NbErJnZ.jpg

Thanks, I am going to switch the decals up to the other way around. The 433 birds decals might be to complex for the refueling probe area. Hope to get back at it on Friday.

Ready for decals. At this point I can say without doubt I prefer the Hasegawa (on left) The Kinetic looks off, too thin and the join between the top of the nose and fuselage is too pronounced. The nose itself seems to have a weird upwards cant to it. Now, the refuelling probe and folded wings OOB are nice, but still not as nice as the strong sturdy kit Hasegawa gives. Landing gear being the best point between the two. Another nice thing about the Kenetic is you can do a modernized airframe without having to create the bird slicers. They are molded in the kit. I should sand them off , but they are very subtle so I might just leave them on. The Kenetic also comes with the slanted back aerials.However the model I am doing has the older straight aerials. Lucky the Hasegawa comes with spares.

nY2Z5Py.jpg

Looks good.   I built 2 Kinetic kits and came away with the same preference for the Hasegawa. Does the Has kit come with the Canadian landing gear?  Last one I did I used extra parts from the Kinetic kit to modify the main gear. 

Been having a heck of a time with the decals. They are over 20 years old and that decal save stuff applied. However, they are peeling up badly. Most of the markings have needed to be removed and hand painted. So needless to say , a delay has occurred. Off tomorrow, so I will see if I can finish the models off.

The Hasegawa (older kit on left) wins this battle. Much sturdier, better landing gear and overall look. The Kinetic has nice features such as refuelling probe and folding wings.  The only real complaint is the windsheild on the Kinetic has been a horrible fit , every time I built this model.It also looks like a Hornet when finished, so BOTH are good models. Decals. seem the problem on the Hasegawa kit. Both are Leading Edge sheets and both are well over twenty years old. The 416 (tail only ) decals had a few breaks but nothing not expected with older decals.

The 433 porcupine had many issues. The sheet received two coats of Liquid decals film, Many markings still shattered and had to be hand painted. Other decals that did go down flaked and peeled off with a day. Even after received two coats of future gloss and two more of dull to seal everything in. Still, the decals ARE over 20 years old. Therefore some decal issues should be expected.

zhb3L5X.jpg

CCAMyx1.jpg

Edited by phantom