Tamiya P-38F “White 147” complete!

1 hour ago, markiii said:

Looking real good, I like that you also added the antenna wires. I didn't want to botch mine up trying that. Also, I believe Miss Virginia was a "G" model.

It appears you are correct, my mistake.  I almost didn’t put on the radio wires for fear of the same thing.  But I’m glad I did.

25 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

She looks fantastic!  I love the depth to the Olive Drab paint and the chipping around the cockpit.   The paintwork is really superb overall!

Steve

Thanks!  I tried out some new-to-me paints, AK olive drab and AK Olive drab highlights.  I’m really happy with how they turned out.  10/10 would use them again.

18 minutes ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Thanks!  I tried out some new-to-me paints, AK olive drab and AK Olive drab highlights.  I’m really happy with how they turned out.  10/10 would use them again.

Was that the Real Colors? I just bought some, but I haven't tried them yet.

Brett, not that I haven't told you already, but spectacular job on your P-38!  I'm working on mine.  I should have taken more care in dry fitting to see how the front and main wheel wells go together.  I found out, after only painting the internal wheel well parts, that there is still a significant amount of 'wheel well internal' left on the edges of the bottom of the cockpit nacelle and the main gear booms.  I haven't put them together yet (the nose wheel well, nor have I glued the boom left and right sides together yet, so I can keep them apart and get those last edges in aluminum color paint (using the regular Aluminum color from AK Xtreme metal colors [FANTASTIC paints by the way, in very aspect, ease of spray, ease of coating, final finish, and speed of drying]); the only thing that is not ideal, due to the lacquer nature of the paints, is the cleanup, but no way around that!  Used the Molotow Chrome pen on the landing gear oleos, and I'm STILL finding that pen beyond incredible....

Brett, wondering if you followed the Tamiya instructions to paint the insides of the air intakes on the underside of the booms behind the props, and the big air scoops on the sides of each of the booms.  Not sure there would be a good way to paint them after gluing the scoops in place, especially with decals supposed to be used inside, but just curious!

Edited by Curt B
10 hours ago, Curt B said:

Brett, not that I haven't told you already, but spectacular job on your P-38!  I'm working on mine.  I should have taken mire care in dry fitting to see how the front and main wheel wells go together.  I found out, after only painting the internal wheel well parts, that there is still a significant amount of 'wheel well internal' left on the edges of the bottom of the cockpit nacelle and the main gear booms.  I haven't put them together yet (the nose wheel well, nor have I glued the boom left and right sides together yet, so I can keep them apart and get those last edges in aluminum color paint (using the regular Aluminum color from AK Xtreme metal colors (FANTASTIC paints by the way, in very aspect, ease of spray, ease of coating, final finish, and speed of drying); the only thing that is not ideal, due to the lacquer nature of the paints, is the cleanup, but no way around that!  Used the Molotow Chrome pen on the landing gear oleos, and I'm STILL finding that pen beyond incredible....

Brett, wondering if you followed the Tamiya instructions to paint the insides of the air intakes on the underside of the booms behind the props, and the big air scoops on the sides of each of the booms.  Not sure there would be a good way to paint them after gluing the scoops in place, especially with decals supposed to be used inside, but just curious!

Hey Curt!  I had the exact same problem with the wheel wells also!  I got all of the wheel wells painted, and dry fit them to each other , and I remember dry fitting them to the fuselage, but it wasn’t until I was about to glue them all in that I noticed the portion of internal wall on the fuselage/booms.  So, I’m glad I caught it in time,  but I totally understand about the AB clean up, can be a pain.

As for the oil filters scoops and the radiator scoops I did paint them before attaching.  Once they are attached you can’t see much inside, which also means you can’t effectively get paint in there, so I highly recommend painting them prior to attaching.  

Brett

24 minutes ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Hey Curt!  I had the exact same problem with the wheel wells also!  I got all of the wheel wells painted, and dry fit them to each other , and I remember dry fitting them to the fuselage, but it wasn’t until I was about to glue them all in that I noticed the portion of internal wall on the fuselage/booms.  So, I’m glad I caught it in time,  but I totally understand about the AB clean up, can be a pain.

As for the oil filters scoops and the radiator scoops I did paint them before attaching.  Once they are attached you can’t see much inside, which also means you can’t effectively get paint in there, so I highly recommend painting them prior to attaching.  

Brett

Thank you, sir!

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, Hammerhead11 said:

Just in time for the new year, I’ve completed my 1:48 scale Tamiya P-38F.  This kit was a blast to build and paint, I can’t recommend this kit enough.

uHDxEsL.jpg

Brett

Brett,

Great looking build on this P-38, and the paint finish is just amazing. Looks extremely

life-like for the period, and therefore very believable... job well done!