Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Hammerhead11

Tamiya P-38F “White 147” complete!

Recommended Posts

Just in time for the new year, I’ve completed my 1:48 scale Tamiya P-38F.  This kit was a blast to build and paint, I can’t recommend this kit enough.

 

D7yeVlU.jpg

oQIHuAs.jpg

uHDxEsL.jpg

02pDJdL.jpg

6zilxFa.jpg

IapTqXc.jpg

tYg9F30.jpg
NDYYfpX.jpg

Ht0wPMm.jpg

fvB9iK8.jpg

V88AuQP.jpg

wM3YjSD.jpg

 

Thanks for looking, for those curious, you can follow my build here:

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking real good, I like that you also added the antenna wires. I didn't want to botch mine up trying that. Also, I believe Miss Virginia was a "G" model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She looks fantastic!  I love the depth to the Olive Drab paint and the chipping around the cockpit.   The paintwork is really superb overall!

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markiii said:

Looking real good, I like that you also added the antenna wires. I didn't want to botch mine up trying that. Also, I believe Miss Virginia was a "G" model.

It appears you are correct, my mistake.  I almost didn’t put on the radio wires for fear of the same thing.  But I’m glad I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

She looks fantastic!  I love the depth to the Olive Drab paint and the chipping around the cockpit.   The paintwork is really superb overall!

 

Steve

Thanks!  I tried out some new-to-me paints, AK olive drab and AK Olive drab highlights.  I’m really happy with how they turned out.  10/10 would use them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Thanks!  I tried out some new-to-me paints, AK olive drab and AK Olive drab highlights.  I’m really happy with how they turned out.  10/10 would use them again.

Was that the Real Colors? I just bought some, but I haven't tried them yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019 at 10:32 PM, markiii said:

Was that the Real Colors? I just bought some, but I haven't tried them yet.

Here are the paints I used, turns out they were MIG not AK:

52sRc8Z.jpg

Edited by Hammerhead11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ViperZero said:

Wow looking great P-38, love that paint so weathered with all that chippings.
Well done Sir!  :clap2:
 

Many thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Brett, not that I haven't told you already, but spectacular job on your P-38!  I'm working on mine.  I should have taken more care in dry fitting to see how the front and main wheel wells go together.  I found out, after only painting the internal wheel well parts, that there is still a significant amount of 'wheel well internal' left on the edges of the bottom of the cockpit nacelle and the main gear booms.  I haven't put them together yet (the nose wheel well, nor have I glued the boom left and right sides together yet, so I can keep them apart and get those last edges in aluminum color paint (using the regular Aluminum color from AK Xtreme metal colors [FANTASTIC paints by the way, in very aspect, ease of spray, ease of coating, final finish, and speed of drying]); the only thing that is not ideal, due to the lacquer nature of the paints, is the cleanup, but no way around that!  Used the Molotow Chrome pen on the landing gear oleos, and I'm STILL finding that pen beyond incredible....

 

Brett, wondering if you followed the Tamiya instructions to paint the insides of the air intakes on the underside of the booms behind the props, and the big air scoops on the sides of each of the booms.  Not sure there would be a good way to paint them after gluing the scoops in place, especially with decals supposed to be used inside, but just curious!

Edited by Curt B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Curt B said:

Brett, not that I haven't told you already, but spectacular job on your P-38!  I'm working on mine.  I should have taken mire care in dry fitting to see how the front and main wheel wells go together.  I found out, after only painting the internal wheel well parts, that there is still a significant amount of 'wheel well internal' left on the edges of the bottom of the cockpit nacelle and the main gear booms.  I haven't put them together yet (the nose wheel well, nor have I glued the boom left and right sides together yet, so I can keep them apart and get those last edges in aluminum color paint (using the regular Aluminum color from AK Xtreme metal colors (FANTASTIC paints by the way, in very aspect, ease of spray, ease of coating, final finish, and speed of drying); the only thing that is not ideal, due to the lacquer nature of the paints, is the cleanup, but no way around that!  Used the Molotow Chrome pen on the landing gear oleos, and I'm STILL finding that pen beyond incredible....

 

Brett, wondering if you followed the Tamiya instructions to paint the insides of the air intakes on the underside of the booms behind the props, and the big air scoops on the sides of each of the booms.  Not sure there would be a good way to paint them after gluing the scoops in place, especially with decals supposed to be used inside, but just curious!

Hey Curt!  I had the exact same problem with the wheel wells also!  I got all of the wheel wells painted, and dry fit them to each other , and I remember dry fitting them to the fuselage, but it wasn’t until I was about to glue them all in that I noticed the portion of internal wall on the fuselage/booms.  So, I’m glad I caught it in time,  but I totally understand about the AB clean up, can be a pain.

 

As for the oil filters scoops and the radiator scoops I did paint them before attaching.  Once they are attached you can’t see much inside, which also means you can’t effectively get paint in there, so I highly recommend painting them prior to attaching.  
 

Brett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FlyAndFight said:

Fantastic finish on a great model.   Well done!

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hammerhead11 said:

Hey Curt!  I had the exact same problem with the wheel wells also!  I got all of the wheel wells painted, and dry fit them to each other , and I remember dry fitting them to the fuselage, but it wasn’t until I was about to glue them all in that I noticed the portion of internal wall on the fuselage/booms.  So, I’m glad I caught it in time,  but I totally understand about the AB clean up, can be a pain.

 

As for the oil filters scoops and the radiator scoops I did paint them before attaching.  Once they are attached you can’t see much inside, which also means you can’t effectively get paint in there, so I highly recommend painting them prior to attaching.  
 

Brett

 

Thank you, sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, compressorman said:

Oh that finish! Please accept these oooos and ahhhhhs 🙂

Gladly accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, Hammerhead11 said:

 

Just in time for the new year, I’ve completed my 1:48 scale Tamiya P-38F.  This kit was a blast to build and paint, I can’t recommend this kit enough.

 

uHDxEsL.jpg

Brett

 

Brett,

Great looking build on this P-38, and the paint finish is just amazing. Looks extremely

life-like for the period, and therefore very believable... job well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...