Eduard MiG-21PFM Pure Plastic version

There are several things that one needs to look at fore and is not mentioned in the instruction sheet. While on early MF kits on Sprue D the nose cone D 56 had triangle shaped cut-outs on top and bottom to fit into the cone support/positioning ring D68. Somehow the cut-out are no longer there, only a vague sine of them is left. One needs the cut-out to correctly position the nose cone so I recommend that prior to painting and assembly small triangle shaped cuts are made on the nose cone. It does not have to be very precise as it will not be visible on the end product but it is important that they are exactly positioned on the opposite sides of the nose cone. Otherwise the nose cone will be off set.

xPe4Unh.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks Gabor! Need to check on mine that triangle 🙂 Mine has gap when you put lower wing part on body... same as on ChernayaAkula thread.. but all those are MF, glad to see that is better on PFM.

UwgBbcg.jpg

Edited by mario krijan
On 2/6/2020 at 8:01 PM, mario krijan said:

🙂 Mine has gap when you put lower wing part on body... same as on ChernayaAkula thread.. but all those are MF, glad to see that is better on PFM.

That is a big gap there. Did not have it that big on my MF example. But I know it has been an issue for some people also on the quarter scale kits too. I think the unique way the wing / fuselage joint is designed could be a source for problems.

On my PFM did not encounter anything like that, though the fit was not 100%. OK, about 98%-ish. : ) If the gap is really thin I usually use a bit of stretched sprue as a filler with a good solvent glue. Leave it a few days to dry thoroughly, sand and it blends perfectly. Nothing is visible. Since it is the same plastic any scribing would work on it would do perfectly and there is no problem as with a harder filler.

Best regards

Gabor

18 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

This Czech red, white, and blue scheme 👍🏻

Xv0ZwjG.jpg

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good luck with the build! Have fun!

I had one Edu resin engine for the MF kit but in the end ended up using a Russian resin engine which is better by a mile!

The sad thing is that for the future PF kit I will have to make/scratch my own as none of the aftermarket manufacturers produce the engine version which we used in PF.

Best regards

Gabor

The kit has some extremely small parts like the secondary pitot on front right side and the two Venturi probes on the left just next to the cockpit and after on the side of the nose gear bay. The main difference is that the secondary pitot ( Part H7) has a base which slides into the hole left for it on the nose part and the radio compartment top cover (Part F1). It is fit as good as you can wish for. Perfect, just add a very small drop of liquid glue with the tip of the brush and it is fixed. Exactly right angle and looking forward as it should.

Now the Venturi’s (part H38 and D1) are not so simple. It could have been a similar fit but what we get is just the probes and an indication on the surface where they should go. One will need a very steady hand, good tweezers, very little glue to get it right. The alternative is to drill a hole ( I used 0.25mm) where the probe has to go and also drill a hole on the bottom of the probe itself. I inserted a small piece of stretched sprue and this way the question of positive location of the probes was much easier. Still be careful with the tweezers, the parts are extremely small and there is every chance that they fly away into never-never land. So be careful!   

sy5Ks5c.jpg

68rikaX.jpg

Best regards

Gabor