F-16 Mystery Pylon / Launcher

Can anyone identify or provide more info about the dual-rail pylon seen in the links below? 

It is mounted on STA 3 on FSD F-16A #2 75-0746 at Edwards when it was with the 6510th Test Wing. 

75-0746 F-16ctf 6510tw KEDW 19830912 37cr

75-0746 F-16ctf 6510tw KEDW 19830912 34cr

The front and rear fairings would indicate a rail launcher to me.  Given the approximate time period and that this was a test squadron I was thinking AIM-7 or AIM-120 development, possibly related to the ADF program.  Open to other suggestions.

The F-16B was considered for Wild Weasel in the early 80's, and a concept model carrying dual AGM-45's and wingtip pods was set up using one of the FSD birds. I wouldn't be surprised if this is that demo bird, even if it carries standard wingtip launchers on the photos provided. 

2 hours ago, Niels said:

The F-16B was considered for Wild Weasel in the early 80's, and a concept model carrying dual AGM-45's and wingtip pods was set up using one of the FSD birds. I wouldn't be surprised if this is that demo bird, even if it carries standard wingtip launchers on the photos provided. 

The Wild Weasel mockup was on FSD F-16B 75-0751, pics can be found in the Detail & Scale book (p.57) and the Aerofax Aerograph book (p.80)  The dual carriage pylon was of a different configuration than the mystery rack.

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Excellent find, thank you.  

Edited by habu2
23 hours ago, habu2 said:

Can anyone identify or provide more info about the dual-rail pylon seen in the links below? 

It is mounted on STA 3 on FSD F-16A #2 75-0746 at Edwards when it was with the 6510th Test Wing. 

75-0746 F-16ctf 6510tw KEDW 19830912 37cr

75-0746 F-16ctf 6510tw KEDW 19830912 34cr

This dual rack does not appear to be configured to handle rail launched type missiles (AIM-120/AGM-88/etc) since each side is configured with three bomb racks. There is no rail for the missile to hang on and the sway brace arms would interfere with the wings/fins.

The dual launcher adapter in the D&S book (page 57) appears to be an ADU-315/-316 dual launcher adapter used on A-4's during Vietnam but I can't tell for sure since it's only a frontal shot.

Just my $0.02, ymmv

5 hours ago, weirich1 said:

Maybe a rack to carry multiple BDU-33s

Not possible for the following reasons;

1) BDU-33 (and all other small caliber practice bombs) can not be release from a bomb rack that has an ejector foot, the ejector foot will split the bomb in half during release.

2) The MAU-12 is only capable of handling weapons with a diameter of at least 9 inches, the BDU-33 is only 4 inches in diameter. You would not be able to sway the bomb down.

3) The lug on the BDU-33 is too narrow for the hook on the MAU-12.

• 2 weeks later...