AV-8B vs Harrier GR.7 - Differences?

I´m planning to do an AV-8B in 1/72. Since I like the new Airfix-kits, I´d love to simply use one of their British Harriers and convert it into an AV-8B. Possible without bigger changes or completely nuts?

HAJO

Hi Hajo, 

Just out of my head and because I am thinking about the same convertion as I think Hasegawa's Harrier II series has not been their best effort.

Question 1 : what AV-8B Subversion do you plan to build? AV-8B, NA, Plus?

For the rest : whatever subversion you plan to build, you'll have to change nose shape, cockpit details and ejection seat, remove 2 weapon pylons under wings (British Harrier IIs have 8 whereas US Harrier IIs have 6 underwing pylons), change gun pods if you plan to build a gun armed AV-8B, remove British ECM suite (small bulges on wing tips and at trailing edge or rear lower keel), remove what I believe is British chaff and flare dispenser form behind (?) airbrake).

In turn depending on US sub version you might need to add US chaff and flare systeme (either in fairings in shoulder position just front of fin and corresponding longer air intake at the base of fin leading edge or behing airbrake ..) 

All and all not such a simple conversion : you might need some parts from a Hasegawa Harrier II to complete your project - That at least is what I plan to do - salvage and Hasegawa AV-8B to convert an Airfix GR9 to AV-8B PLus.

My reply might not be complete but you have the idea.

Regards 

Eric B.

2 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Hi Hajo, 

Just out of my head and because I am thinking about the same convertion as I think Hasegawa's Harrier II series has not been their best effort.

out of sheer curiosity and since I have a partially built but unpainted one in the stash since 2003/2004 - what are the failings/downsides/problems of the Hasegawa kit?

thanks

Thorsten

Hi Eric, it IS helpful, since I now know that it will take some effort (nose shape) and even additional material (gun pods and chaff/flare-system). Removing things is not a problem, and I tend to ignore different bang seats.

So, what´s wrong with the Hasegawa Harrier? I may turn to this option if it´s usable.

HAJO

Hello, 

First of all let me start by telling I am a huge Hasegawa fan and I don't consider myself as a rivet counter of missing millimeter chaser. 

What I find wrong with the Hasegawa Harrier IIs? 

I think they are a bit basic (more of this later), they seem to have been designed with the original AV-8B (day) in mind. ll other versions need correction and more if you want to build a RAF version. They are not well researched then.

I believe there is a sublte shape issue around the nose (kind of reversed banana shape) which makes the nose tip a bit high. Way to correct this is open landing gear doors and maybe shorten nose landing gear 1 to 3 millimeters (0.1 or 0.2 inch) to lower nose. The Harrier II has a distinct nose up stance but not as much as the Hasegawa model.

About the "being basic" issue? Cockpit is very basic. Depends on how much detail you want to put in it but I elected to drop a resin cockpit into my kit. What I really dislike is that all underside bays and wells (front and rear landing gear wells plus airbrake bay) were molded closed.

For landing gears it seems they can be left closed on the ground and at rest on real aircraft. I still consider this a poor offer by Hasegawa on a modern aircraft model. Anyhow airbrake must be open on Harriers as they are linked with the landing gear. You therefore have to cut airbrake shape in fuselage, build a well, find and airbrake replacement (resin + resin + resin in my case - else spare box!)

Hope this helps. 

Eric B.

Hajo,

Good choice on converting the Brit Harrier II to an AV-8B, depending on which variant you want to build, other than removing the bumps and lumps pertaining to the RAF, need to pay attention to the LERXs, as the plus has full LERXs, like GR.9.

The pylons that do not get used are the ones in front of the landing gear outriggers.

For the rest, opinions are just that, everyone is entitled to one..

• 7 months later...

The 100% lerx is not unique to the GR9 - many GR9s had 65% and many GR7s had 100%. In a sweeping generalisation, ZD serials had 65, whereas ZG serials had 100. There are exceptions to this too, so either pick a serial to match the aircraft you're modelling or find a reference picture to defend yourself against unwanted attacks by rampant purists. Much of the GR9 upgrade programme was about changes to the weapons systems support so there aren't a great number of visible changes that apply to a small scale model. I have  a list somewhere if it is really important. 

I build one Hase Harrier some years ago for an ARC GB, a lot og goodies to enhance the look of the model but honestly don't notice the nose shape... need to check as I've a NA and a Plus for future build.

I noted that, in my opinion, the strakes of the gunpods left little clearence from the ground,more than real,and effectively a too high nose ( I don't correct this detail,but in future...)

About shortcomings of the Jap model,I think that the pylons are very poor detailed for modern standard.

To ask Eric,the Chaff&flare dispensr are present also in Marines planes, those on the upper fuselage was added successively.

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77