Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

30 minutes ago, mario krijan said:

Niiiceeeee!!! Gabor we need to ask guys from GWH to show us some interesting photos of mould machining for engineers 😄😄😄😄😄

When preparing the Su-35S project I did make a suggestion to introduce the kit in a similar way to what FineMolds is doing now with the F-4 Phantom, also making other suggestions going back on my experience as an advertising executive. But after all I was just a small part in that enormous project and I had on me my hat of detail researcher/designer. Did you see any such photos back then? Well it answers your question.

I do believe in doing things a little different way but not everyone shares my views.

Best regards

Gabor

Any more pics? Looks great.

So they followed AMK in giving separate canopy and frame. I hope they learn from AMK that during packaging or shipping, some kits have the frame bend out of shape or broken. They should check AMK facebook page for the comments.

8 hours ago, flanker27 said:

So they followed AMK in giving separate canopy and frame.

And Zvezda way . . .   

I think others have also used this technique earlier. Well it is a logical solution to the Omega question. 

Best regards

Gabor

This thing can only work if the clear part fits nicely and tight in the frame - must be fitted perfectly. I saw some AMK's F-14 in progress shots, and it did not fit that perfect. I'd rather get rid of the seamline than fill the gaps next to clear parts.

Edited by Tapchan
1 minute ago, Tapchan said:

This thing can only work if the clear part fits nicely and tight in the frame - must be fitted perfectly. I was some AMK's F-14 in progress shots, and it did not fit that perfect. I'd rather get rid of the seamline than fill the gaps next to clear parts.

This is why there are 2 options provided to the modeller. One with frame and clear parts, while the other has a full canopy from clear plastic. the choice is yours!

Best regards

Gabor

Seems some one in a private Chinese modelling group forwarded my pictures to some one in Russia and now they appeared in Russian forum.

Although I have emphasized no spread out of the group, unfortunately they have been posted now without my permission after all.

(Surely not your fault, pal Gabor. You are always the most trusted partner and understand you are just commenting on those photos.)

So, let me explain why there are 2 type of canopy part for the UB.

All twin seat Flanker canopy has a unique shape: the section of front end and rear end, is smaller than the section of middle frame.

Which means, by current plastic injection molding technical limit, if the part is made by one piece, the thickness of plastic around middle frame area, will be thicker than front & rear end.

That will cause distortion when you look into the cockpit via clear canopy.

So, divide the front glass and rear class of the canopy, could at least assure the thickness of glass at same level, so there will be no distortion.

And people who concerns about fitting, there is also traditional style one piece canopy for your choice.

And just to clarify that these parts are from T1 mold, which is being further enhanced now in mold factory by T2, T3, T4, ...

So you will only see better parts than these when you open the kit box.

More information (most interesting part about R&D of the kit, and mold pictures) will be disclosed officially very soon, so please expect.

Yufei

Edited by haneto

No worries, I did not said that GWH's multi-part canopy is bad, just added a note that if it is not made well it can be a pain for modeller. It's good that there are both options, I'll attempt to do both and then compare which one turn out to look better.

I was surprised (very surprised) that the Russian scalemodels . ru site did post photos of the kit. There was no refference where they go it from, but it was obvious that test frames were shown as I indicated in subtytles.

Once it was out there was no stopping it, as with everything on internet  . . .

It is not by accident that I dont do social media and everything designed in my workshop (not only speaking of developments for kit makers) stays stricktly there. Even if some would very much like to see what is going on.

Everything has its time! 

Look forward to new (official) images of the kit! : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor 

I have one simple question: why GWH is not able to make all panel lines as narrow and subtle like Tamiya? I have got Su-35 with very few but absolutely nice, narrow and subtle panel lines on engine nacelles (just like Tamiya's ones). But only few lines look so good, the rest of those lines (maybe there are few exceptions, I don't know) are much wider and much uglier.
So GWH can make such good lines, but they don't make it on whole kits.
I really don't know why.

18 minutes ago, Solo said:

I have one simple question: why GWH is not able to make all panel lines as narrow and subtle like Tamiya? I have got Su-35 with very few but absolutely nice, narrow and subtle panel lines on engine nacelles (just like Tamiya's ones). But only few lines look so good, the rest of those lines (maybe there are few exceptions, I don't know) are much wider and much uglier.
So GWH can make such good lines, but they don't make it on whole kits.
I really don't know why.

As a modeller I also hope the surface could be as nice as Tamiya,but:

1. The kits you bought from Tamiya, are usually injected by T9 or T10 that means Tamiya has revised the mold 8-9 times already.

It's doable as long as you want to spend money and time and it could be endless, not suitable for all makers especially small one.

On the other hand needless to say, how big is Tamiya, the king of this industry.

So afterall you need to find the balance point through all the modelling industry: R&D, mold cutting, decal design and printing, boxing, etc.

It's a very time consuming and money consuming industry. 

2. I'm no expert of injection mold, but I guess the equipment, know-how and experience of Tamiya who has their own mold factory, is uncomparable by others.

(Though some famous Chinese model kit maker does have very high rank equipments, their design/R&D ability is too poor to match.)

So how to cooperate with out resourcing mold factory is very difficult: the final result is not only depends on your money investment, but also your time and effort invested to enhance the relationship with them. After all it's human behind the machines who matters.

So in my understanding(or guess), maybe the concern you have,  is the result coming from lcurrent business mode limitation.

Every time GWH give their feedback and advice(some from me too) to mold factory as well to aiming for next step up.

We can see the improvement but it does take time, step by step.

Hope my explanation makes some sense to you.

Yufei

Ok, but my question was not why they don't make such subtle lines at all, because they can make them at all.
I am curious why they don't make them on whole kit.
Please check out this part of nacelle of Su-35.

One line is fine and subtle, second one, next to it - is not.
The same I can say about panels.

Image1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Solo said:

Ok, but my question was not why they don't make such subtle lines at all, because they can make them at all.
I am curious why they don't make them on whole kit.
Please check out this part of nacelle of Su-35.

One line is fine and subtle, second one, next to it - is not.
The same I can say about panels.

Image1.jpg

Because the mold factory could not keep stable QC on mold cutting by their current capability.

Different people who were in charge of the different mold in different time, may cause different mold result.

That's the reality and limitation of most mold factories in China currently.

As far as I heard.

But such situation does not only exist in China.

Even some Japanese mold factories also have such issue, which you can find flaws from Japanese brands too.

My friend who works in a Japanese model maker called Goodsmile told me the rocket mold made in Japan is much worse than the Mazingar model mold cut in China.

So maybe, in this low profitability modelling industry, the requirement and investment to molding, is far below those mass production goods such as smart phone parts or much higher proditable automobile parts.

5 hours ago, haneto said:

As a modeller I also hope the surface could be as nice as Tamiya,but:

1. The kits you bought from Tamiya, are usually injected by T9 or T10 that means Tamiya has revised the mold 8-9 times already.

It's doable as long as you want to spend money and time and it could be endless, not suitable for all makers especially small one.

On the other hand needless to say, how big is Tamiya, the king of this industry.

So afterall you need to find the balance point through all the modelling industry: R&D, mold cutting, decal design and printing, boxing, etc.

It's a very time consuming and money consuming industry. 

2. I'm no expert of injection mold, but I guess the equipment, know-how and experience of Tamiya who has their own mold factory, is uncomparable by others.

(Though some famous Chinese model kit maker does have very high rank equipments, their design/R&D ability is too poor to match.)

So how to cooperate with out resourcing mold factory is very difficult: the final result is not only depends on your money investment, but also your time and effort invested to enhance the relationship with them. After all it's human behind the machines who matters.

So in my understanding(or guess), maybe the concern you have,  is the result coming from lcurrent business mode limitation.

Every time GWH give their feedback and advice(some from me too) to mold factory as well to aiming for next step up.

We can see the improvement but it does take time, step by step.

Hope my explanation makes some sense to you.

Yufei

Dear Yufei,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the Su-35 as well as to this new kit. I own four 35's and cannot wait for the 27. I am confident that us modellers will again get a stunning product with people such as yourself involved. You are very talented and your own build of the Su-35 was simply mind blowing. Just a quick question, were you also involved with the GWH Mig-29 series? The 29's are very good and I love those kits but the Su-35 was just on a totally new level. I am holding thumbs for many more Su's like the single seat 27, 30 etc.

Regards

Victor

56 minutes ago, Falcondriver said:

Dear Yufei,

Thank you very much for your contribution to the Su-35 as well as to this new kit. I own four 35's and cannot wait for the 27. I am confident that us modellers will again get a stunning product with people such as yourself involved. You are very talented and your own build of the Su-35 was simply mind blowing. Just a quick question, were you also involved with the GWH Mig-29 series? The 29's are very good and I love those kits but the Su-35 was just on a totally new level. I am holding thumbs for many more Su's like the single seat 27, 30 etc.

Regards

Victor

Thanks for the encouragement Victor.

The R&D could not be finished without help from many talents including Gabor and some Russian friends.

Mario also contributed to provide his photo credit as well.

And I was just a part of this team work.

Yes MiG-29 was the first project I helped GWH back to 2010 I think.

At that time the reference was not so rich as of now, and also lack of experience(MiG-29 is GWH's first jet kit and third aircraft kit) so it has its own flaws by today's standard.

And the mold was also cut by another factory so maybe you can find different style from the parts as well.

I personally look forward to more Flanker variants but I think it totally depends on sale performance vs investment scale.

Flanker is a big plane so mold investment is quite something, especially for big parts such as fuselage, vertical fins, etc.

So let's wait and see...

55 minutes ago, Solo said:

Ok, so I should blame mold factory not GWH. Ok, I got it, but I did believed model manufacturer has much more control over molds quality.
Good to know the true.
Thanks for explanations.

Well sometimes it's on the contrary.

Mold factories may have stronger stance than order makers, because they have so many ODM/OEM orders to make.

So that's why GWH boss has to take a 2 hours flight to visit the factory at least 1-2 times a month to follow the process.

The cooperation/business relationship could be quite complicated indeed, sometimes.

I even heard rumour that the most famous Chinese kit maker mold section leader was so powerful that he could change the CAD design by the R&D section without their permission, just to reduce the mold difficulty and increase mass production QC ratio. 

So it's not as easy as you imagine indeed...too many issues to be solved, everytime.

Yufei

45 minutes ago, haneto said:

Yes MiG-29 was the first project I helped GWH back to 2010 I think.

At that time the reference was not so rich as of now, and also lack of experience(MiG-29 is GWH's first jet kit and third aircraft kit) so it has its own flaws by today's standard.

And the mold was also cut by another factory so maybe you can find different style from the parts as well.

I personally look forward to more Flanker variants but I think it totally depends on sale performance vs investment scale.

Flanker is a big plane so mold investment is quite something, especially for big parts such as fuselage, vertical fins, etc.

So let's wait and see...

Yufei

That is very interesting. Thank you very much for your reply Yufei