Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

1 hour ago, Tapchan said:

MKK variant has no canards as well as MK2.

Canarded twin-seaters are  - SM (RF)/MKI (India)/MKA (Algeria)/MKM (Malaysia)

Cy30-1.png

Well, I'll "Tap out" of that Tapchan. Thanks for the correction(s) I do get confused by the number of variants.

On 6/21/2020 at 5:38 AM, haneto said:

Mold pictures received from factory.

Enjoy the details...

dD8u4zi.jpg

Wow, it would appear to me that you guys have made the cockpit of the single seat version narrower compared to the Su-35 kit?? When I compared the cockpit/canopy of GWH's Su-35 with Kinetic's Su-33, the difference in width is rather large, Kinetic is noticeably narrower. I thought that the truth is somewhere in between, if not closer to Kinetic to be honest. Of course both kits are great, I'm just interested to know the truth.    

Edited by delide

Please remember that this is a mould tool photo with lots of distortion. To make exact size estimates and comparisons from it is not really wise. 

While I have the Kinetic Su-33 kit and have to say it is a nice one, I dont really like to make comparisons or measure other people's work be it Kinetic or any other maker. I prefer to deal with the work in front of me and try to do my best in it.

In case of Su-35 or here with the Su-27 family there were fairly simple things like working from the K-36 ejection seat. "Unfortunately" I have one original seat in my collection and even if it is a version used on another Su type, the seat dimensions down to a millimetre are the same. For the Su-35 which was a fairly different version of the seat (brand new infact) in many ways I used factory documentation, dimensions from the seat designer Zvezda company.

Based on this, how authentic in size is the seat and the cockpit around it I have to leave to everyone imagination.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Please remember that this is a mould tool photo with lots of distortion. To make exact size estimates and comparisons from it is not really wise. 

While I have the Kinetic Su-33 kit and have to say it is a nice one, I dont really like to make comparisons or measure other people's work be it Kinetic or any other maker. I prefer to deal with the work in front of me and try to do my best in it.

In case of Su-35 or here with the Su-27 family there were fairly simple things like working from the K-36 ejection seat. "Unfortunately" I have one original seat in my collection and even if it is a version used on another Su type, the seat dimensions down to a millimetre are the same. For the Su-35 which was a fairly different version of the seat (brand new infact) in many ways I used factory documentation, dimensions from the seat designer Zvezda company.

Based on this, how authentic in size is the seat and the cockpit around it I have to leave to everyone imagination.

Best regards

Gabor

Yes, it's just my first impression, it could be just distortions. I thought you guys might got hands on the real thing, as Su-27 is much older, I have zero idea if it's possible or not.

Anyway, thanks for your information. For me those 2 kits are just different kits from different people/designers, so I was curious to see how the shape of canopies from different designers compare, as shape of canopies is rather important for me and it basically can not be worked on by me, unlike other things.

Also it is important to add that I am just one member of a team who designed this kit and have to admit that others had different access to information and data. I could not speak for them. 

Yes, the Flanker has been around for some time, on my side I used a lot of material from the past decades of research and tones of photos I taken going back to that very first Western premiere of the Su-27 in Paris.

If you ask if we did a LIDAR scan of an airframe then I can say we did not, but looking at some "success" of other kit producers with this technology I think we are better off with not scanning. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

The beginning of the forum this say it is a "family of Flankers". 

That photo is a clear evidence that the single seater is also on its way. : )  : )  : )

The exact date will be announced later. For the moment it is the Su-27UB twoseater version in August this year.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Cant imagine view of magnificent Flanker in those years, we are talkin about 1989? How you travel from Hungary? any chance for one photo 😛  I firstly saw Su-27 bn 30 at Kecskemet Air show back to 2010 🙂 Thanks for your help!!

Hi Mario Krijan,

Well answer is easy or not easy, depending on where we look at it from. In 1989 I was in Paris for the LeBourget show, not for the whole event only one day. And it was not on the day of that famous ejection from MiG-29 by Kvochur.

It was fun in Paris! and was it also the 200 year celebration if I remember right.  

As my work of aviation journalist/photographer travelled to both Farnbourogh and LeBourget in the next years including spending a longer time in Paris in 93 also and shooting dozens of rolls of film (just on the Su-27) at the show. Speaking fluent Russian it was easy to get behind the barriers and speak to the staff get under the airframes. It was a work for / in cooperation with Air Action one of the best quality publications of the time! Those were the days!

Best regards

Gabor

On 6/25/2020 at 5:37 AM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Mario Krijan,

Well answer is easy or not easy, depending on where we look at it from. In 1989 I was in Paris for the LeBourget show, not for the whole event only one day. And it was not on the day of that famous ejection from MiG-29 by Kvochur.

It was fun in Paris! and was it also the 200 year celebration if I remember right.  

As my work of aviation journalist/photographer travelled to both Farnbourogh and LeBourget in the next years including spending a longer time in Paris in 93 also and shooting dozens of rolls of film (just on the Su-27) at the show. Speaking fluent Russian it was easy to get behind the barriers and speak to the staff get under the airframes. It was a work for / in cooperation with Air Action one of the best quality publications of the time! Those were the days!

Best regards

Gabor

I noticed you mentioned you work in aviation journalism and photography.  I'm currently in the middle of very large 1/32 Su-27 Flanker diorama, featuring 3 Su-27s (I've completely added all the rivet work of the actual plane in this project (for all 3 Flankers so you can imagine its time consuming to say the least) to help highlight all the weathering they experienced up in the arctic circle at Kilp Yavr, it also will have an Mi-8 hip and several ground vehicles, ground equipment, tar mac, terrain, etc.  I was thinking of doing another project that would involve making a scratch conversion for a Su-27SM3 for 'Red 64' (RF-90747)I believe its based out of (or was recently) Krymsk Air base in Russia.  

I've been looking all over the internet for photos/videos that depict the camouflage pattern of the upper surfaces of this specific plane, but its been hard to come by any really good photos that depict that plane's particular camouflage pattern.  I've even tried contacting the photographers listed on websites like jetphotos.com, airliners.net, russian-planes.com, etc but I haven't heard back from anyone, I was wondering if you happened to have any photos of the Su-27SM3 'Red 64' RF-90747 or if you might know someone who might?  Or even better someone that lives/works at that base that could take some pictures to help me out (of course i'd be willing to compensate someone for their time/work/photos).  Please let me know.

Thanks

Dan

Your question is so specific for one particular airframe that it is not so easy to answer. 

1. I dont have photos of that plane. 

2. Dont really know anyone who could have.

3. To find someone in vicinity of the aircraft is very far from easy, that is: impossible. I dont know what the FSB rules at the moment but I dont think they would like / allow someone to freely go around the base and take photos without official papers.  I know that for me one of the permits took almost a year for FSB to give an OK. 

As to the top patern. It is more or less uniform. If I remember right at KnAAZ factory there are slight differences (minimal) in pattern while at the other factory they paint almost 100% exact camouflage. I base this only on some photos and research done for the Su-35 kit. So there will always be exceptions. 

With advanced digital photography fortunately there are now many photographers around and on different sites/forums hundreds of airshow or training flight photos are available where excellent top views are shown. 

I have a look around what I have but this would be an off-topic of considerable magnitude. In some other countries you can get banned for such violation! : )  : )  : )

Actually the question of Su-27SM is interesting since most were re-worked old airframes with considerable upgrade including adding the inner wing pylon and associated reinforcement of the wing. One would need to do that also as well as a lot of other extra work.

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, dsahling said:

I noticed you mentioned you work in aviation journalism and photography.  I'm currently in the middle of very large 1/32 Su-27 Flanker diorama, featuring 3 Su-27s (I've completely added all the rivet work of the actual plane in this project (for all 3 Flankers so you can imagine its time consuming to say the least) to help highlight all the weathering they experienced up in the arctic circle at Kilp Yavr, it also will have an Mi-8 hip and several ground vehicles, ground equipment, tar mac, terrain, etc.  I was thinking of doing another project that would involve making a scratch conversion for a Su-27SM3 for 'Red 64' (RF-90747)I believe its based out of (or was recently) Krymsk Air base in Russia.  

I've been looking all over the internet for photos/videos that depict the camouflage pattern of the upper surfaces of this specific plane, but its been hard to come by any really good photos that depict that plane's particular camouflage pattern.  I've even tried contacting the photographers listed on websites like jetphotos.com, airliners.net, russian-planes.com, etc but I haven't heard back from anyone, I was wondering if you happened to have any photos of the Su-27SM3 'Red 64' RF-90747 or if you might know someone who might?  Or even better someone that lives/works at that base that could take some pictures to help me out (of course i'd be willing to compensate someone for their time/work/photos).  Please let me know.

Thanks

Dan

I gotta see this.....

Just as with the previous Su-35 kit in case of this brand new Su-27UB kit from G.W.H in 48th scale one can say that it was created by modellers for modellers.

G.W.H would like to introduce a little view into the background of how the kit was researched, designed and made. For this a series is started now with the very first instalment.

Some basics of the research and development for this kit.

I would like to add some notes of my own to the illustrations as it was not really possible to include everything.

RsM86sN.jpg

KVh56nQ.jpg

The nose section has a strange brake in it. This is something of an ancestry from the original prototype of the Flanker. Remember the T-10 had a shorter and more curved nose section and the fuselage nose lines followed this. On the final production version the whole radar nose section was changed. Don’t ask me why but at the OKB the new nose was simply grafted onto the old lines resulting in that very identifiable brake and absolutely no attempt was made to correct it for a nice continuous surface line.

cnQdi3f.jpg

The kit provides options, in many cases a minimal amount of work will be required. There are those white plastic antenna circles on top and bottom of the nose section. They were reproduced on the kit including the slight off-set on the bottom surface. But please remember that they are not there on all aircraft, so based on your own references it would be easy to either leave them as they are or fill and sand.

The small deflector in front of the search head is also such an item. It is not there on all aircraft. So if the one you are building is lacking it (based on photos) it is easy to cut it off and sand.

The original early Flankers had a double row of friend or foe IFF, so called “odd rod” antennas on the bottom of the nose. Based on a Buletin (official instruction for in service modification) the second (the outer from centre line) triplet of antennas was removed. You can see that "blocked off" rombus shaped area to the left on the photo where the antenna was. 

But please note that even to this day one will find service aircraft which still haven’t had this “correction” made to them. So once again check your references and the kit provides you both options for the build.

rNTcXUJ.jpg

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

Excellent stuff Gabor - really interesting close examination of the Flanker and kudos to you and your fellow researchers and GWH for including such detail and explaning the differences.

Your English is excellent - but may I just point out that you are using the word 'brake' instead of the correct 'break'........... 

Brake is a device for slowing down - as in air brake.

Break is a change in contour - as in a break in a line or curve.

I hope you don't mind - just trying to be helpful.......

Regards

Ken

Just for interest......I've found a couple of my close-ups of Su-27 noseprobes......

The 'standard' probe - note the changing shape along its length....

su-27%20noseprobe.jpg

The Su-33 probe is different - 'cos it folds down for carrier stowage......

su-27%20noseprobe_02.jpg

su-27%20noseprobe_03.jpg

The Su-27P flown by Anatoliy Kvotchur of the LII Gromov Flight Test Centre has a probe with small 'winglets' at its root......

su-27%20noseprobe_07.jpg

I think these are there to generate vortices - maybe for when performing a high AoA 'Cobra' ????

Anyway - I thought they may be of interest...

Ken

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

su-27%20noseprobe_07.jpg

I think these are there to generate vortices - maybe for when performing a high AoA 'Cobra' ????

Anyway - I thought they may be of interest...

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the correction. Sorry for my Anglisch. I think my once teacher at Pimlico would not be happy to see my mistakes, but that is the way it goes. Try my best . . .     but there are a lot of things going on in parallel and I have to do all correspondence in 3 languages from my head plus in Czech but that is purely G translator.

So, once again sorry!  : (   : (  : (

Yes, it was a vortex generator which was easy to add to an aircraft. It is a simple ring which goes on the pitot and improves high angle of attack manoeuvrability of the aircraft. The first time I seen it was I think in 1989 at the Paris air show but if I am right it was only on the 27UB.

Yes, the break in the nose section is clearly visible on your photos and that Lugansk “transitional” airframe is a very good example and shows well the “problem”.

Will the kit be unbuildable because we added this detail, this problem? I don’t think so.  : )  : )  : )

Since there is no perfect 100% kit I am sure that there are bits and pieces which some will find to be problematic. We are only humans and there is always a chance that we did overlook something.

But we tried our best to make the kit as good as possible and with technology of 2020.

Also please remeber that there are so many changes introduced to different production batches of the Flankers produced over the years. It is a not easy to have everything in one single kit. We tried to give as much choice to modellers. 

Thanks for showing some additional images!

Best regards

Gabor

1 minute ago, psimon said:

Hi Gabor,
I tried sending you a private message but it said 'can't be received'.

I purchased the Great Wall Hobby L4822 F-15E Strike Eagle kit last year and only recently discovered the clear parts (Sprue 'G') is missing from the kit. The store I bought it from is no longer in business (closed due to COVID-19). I sent Lion Roar 2 Emails, one about a month ago and a follow up last week and they have not responded.  

Can you help direct me to a contact that can help me get the missing sprue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry, about the mail box, I will have a look into it (get it : )  : )

As I have said before I am only a small part of a team who were responsible for the design of the kit. None of us work for G.W.H we are just modellers. 

I dont really know what to say, will have a look but cant promise anything. 

Best regards

Gabor

4 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Paul,

Sorry, about the mail box, I will have a look into it (get it : )  : )

As I have said before I am only a small part of a team who were responsible for the design of the kit. None of us work for G.W.H we are just modellers. 

I dont really know what to say, will have a look but cant promise anything. 

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you for your response and for taking a look for me.  I am out of options as no store or distributor will help me order this part and Lion Roar is not responding to Emails.  I am hoping someone in your circle will know the procedure for getting missing parts from GWH.

Thanks again!!!  

10 hours ago, psimon said:

Hi Gabor,
I tried sending you a private message but it said 'can't be received'.

I purchased the Great Wall Hobby L4822 F-15E Strike Eagle kit last year and only recently discovered the clear parts (Sprue 'G') is missing from the kit. The store I bought it from is no longer in business (closed due to COVID-19). I sent Lion Roar 2 Emails, one about a month ago and a follow up last week and they have not responded.  

Can you help direct me to a contact that can help me get the missing sprue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Good luck and die trying my friend. GWH aftersales service  is considered the most worst among the rest.