Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

On 7/11/2020 at 2:06 AM, Mfezi said:

Fantastic attention to detail. I know this kit won't be cheap, but at the slow rate at which I complete models, it looks like it will be very well worth it!

I don't mind paying for quality!

At last I thinned my stash a tiny bit and actually completed a build and started on another. However all that work will be out the window now 🤣. I hope the missus wont notice any additions. But seriously this is amazing work and the passion really shows. Im looking forward to my copies once I can get my hands on them.  

Sorry for a belated update on the brand new G.W.H Su-27 kit family in 48 th scale. Here is another batch of images about the development and those fine details that we thought was important to add and differentiate between version in this kits design.  

s2s3Prq.jpg

TZlj82v.jpg

ghTwy0I.jpg

The radar. This is an interesting part.  

There was never an urge to cut the kit into little pieces by opening up lots of service panels, but the radar is serviced fairly regularly. The Su-27 aircraft design had a special feature incorporated into it. The whole nose section can be lifted with the help of a special and fairly simple winch. It take minutes to do and the technician has access to the unit. Remember that a radar unit servicing is mainly (95%) about the “black boxes” of electronics and only in 5% about maintenance of the actual radar dish. This is why one can simply lift the nose section and do the work. To get to the radar dish is a far more complicated task, very rarely carried out in field conditions. For this the nose cone is removed with many locks, under it one finds a protector hood of the dish which has to be removed by unscrewing dozens of lock. This is carried out mainly during heavy overhaul of the whole aircraft. There is absolutely no point in going so deep into radar details. Compared to this the nose part is lifted regularly, obvious that we went with this detailing and no further.

uoTKhuI.jpg

Little attention is payed to the big airbrakes that the Flanker has. In most cases “something” is provided and no difference is made between the single and two seater versions. Also there are some fine details here, both on the actual airbrake and in the bay. The UB two seater has a completely different design with many very complex curves and shapes. Personally this is kind of details that I look for in a kit and here it was luck that we could make it the way we as modellers would like to see it.

OGSdy5F.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Sorry it will be long way in the future if at all!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of things will have to change and will change for certain in our lives due to the virus. World will never be the same!

All shows for the year are cancelled, so will it be next year. Hungary has never been a real air show place. Since there is no real air force there is nothing to show, and for a real International Air Show one needs to "return" the favour of the visit to others for them to come to us. In the past all our shows were deeply overshadowed by corruption and politics. Something that Western organizers dont really understand. But this is east and it always will be!

Same goes for modeling events. Czech's are still hoping that there will be an E Day. With the second wave of the virus already building force I am not so sure in that either, just as Telford . . .  The future will be very different! Sorry, but this is the world today and we have to live in it, we are simply passangers in this whole event. Not much we can do.

So I am having good time in sifting through old events in my archive. Nothing more that can be done at the moment.  : (   : (

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Sorry it will be long way in the future if at all!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of things will have to change and will change for certain in our lives due to the virus. World will never be the same!

All shows for the year are cancelled, so will it be next year. Hungary has never been a real air show place. Since there is no real air force there is nothing to show, and for a real International Air Show one needs to "return" the favour of the visit to others for them to come to us. In the past all our shows were deeply overshadowed by corruption and politics. Something that Western organizers dont really understand. But this is east and it always will be!

Same goes for modeling events. Czech's are still hoping that there will be an E Day. With the second wave of the virus already building force I am not so sure in that either, just as Telford . . .  The future will be very different! Sorry, but this is the world today and we have to live in it, we are simply passangers in this whole event. Not much we can do.

So I am having good time in sifting through old events in my archive. Nothing more that can be done at the moment.  : (   : (

Best regards

Gabor

Yes, this is very true! I am just reminding to the fantastic Kecskemet Air Show 2013 with the Russian Su-27 team display twice during the weekend, on Saturday evening and Sunday noon during excellent weather conditions, unforgettable! I have hoped for another show there since then, but unfortinately it never took place. Now, I got some hints about the reasons behind.

If Eday can not be held this year, I am hoping for another Moson Show next year.

Even if the future is looking not so bright at the moment, I am pleased that such fantastic products, like the G.W.H. Su-27 help to bright up the mood. Thank you to all, who contributed to this! 

Hopefully, the kit will be a success that more of this calibre can follow!

18 minutes ago, falcon91352 said:

I am just reminding to the fantastic Kecskemet Air Show 2013 with the Russian Su-27 team display twice during the weekend,

I heard of it but unfortunately I missed that show. The reason was simple, I was to go as an exhibitor with my ejection seats and flight safety museum stuff (as on previous shows) but the “very kind” organizers were asking for a million (more than 3000 Euro, about 4-5 months wages in this part of the world) just to be there and to be able to contribute with my display to the success of show (mainly with my money in the pockets of the organizers). I understand that all the food sellers, drinks vendors were able to make that money and even (hopefully) make a profit at that weekend, but me as a plain exhibitor of museum pieces not making a penny on the show. . .  It was ridiculous and of course I stayed away. But so did other exhibitors with whom it would have been a more colourful event!

But this should be about the Flanker kit. And yes, I think it can add to easing problems and provide (hopefully) some good modelling time in problematic times we live in.

Moson next year? It is planed, just as this years event was but what future holds for us is another story.

Best regards

Gabor

On 7/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, ya-gabor said:

ghTwy0I.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the measurement data! Finally the truth!! I roughly measured and compared the "A" and "B" of AA/Kinetic's Su-33 and GWH's SU-35, AA's basically got it spot on, amazing job if they never measured the real thing! GWH got it close but it's too wide indeed, particularly the B/width of the cockpit opening. Great to know that it's going to be corrected/perfected on the new generation of the Flanker 😉 I can't wait for the single seater version!

Edited by delide

Hi Mfezi,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it!

It has been mentioned before but I have to add again that the work on this kit was a TEAM effort by several modellers from all over the world, me just one of them.

The pages shown above are a glimpse into the design of the kit and what we thought was important to make.

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Gabor, 

When will we see some plastic?

Brad

Hi Brad,

This is a very good question! I have been pushing this for some time, but as you know I am only a small part in this team and the manufacturer makes all the decisions of what, where and when to show.

Actually some images of the real plastic have been shown already, even if in a non authorized way.

I for one also hope that soon real images will be shared by G.W.H

Best reagards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Brad,

This is a very good question! I have been pushing this for some time, but as you know I am only a small part in this team and the manufacturer makes all the decisions of what, where and when to show.

Actually some images of the real plastic have been shown already, even if in a non authorized way.

I for one also hope that soon real images will be shared by G.W.H

Best reagards

Gabor

Thank's Gabor.

Really looking forward to this (these) kits. Kittyhawk may have been first out the gate to get a product to market, but having built both KH and GWh Su-35's, and now seeing the information that has gone into this new kit from GWH, I will be happy to wait, and will not be buying the KH offering.

Good, so I dont have to post them here!  : )  : )  : )  : )

This  is the next phase of introducing the brand new G.W.H 48 th scale Su-27UB kit.

Sprue layouts for the UB kit, obvious that the next single seater will have a some common sprues with this one but also a lot of differences and a bunch of alternative variations to build from it.

Sprue layout answers some questions but of course not all, like that special sprue W with lot of small bits and pieces. All will be clear later . . .

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
On 7/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, ya-gabor said:

There is always room for improvement. Many have disliked the engine exhausts of earlier kit for one or other reason. Some companies do it one way (as a single part) other have different solution.

Still think that it was a right approach but one can go one step further. I was thinking about a slight change and fortunately G.W.H did like it and incorporated into the design. Will modellers like it or not I dont  know. Hope they will.

brrvoWV.jpg

Simple. If you want to get surface details both on the outside surface and on the inside then it is safer to do it as separate parts. 

Some people like this kind of break down, some dont.

With this kit a different approach was taken as I have mentioned already. Hope people will like it.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor