Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

8 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Excellent!

Only minor problem I have is those 4-piece exhausts... I don't get them. Why not smt like this??

kinetic48062reviewbg-7.jpg

They separate it into four pieces thus it is easier to paint and weather the inner exhaust.

When you assemble them together, there isn't much putty filling to do b/c there is gap between exhaust nozzle leaf anyway.

20 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Sprue layouts for the UB kit, obvious that the next single seater will have a some common sprues with this one but also a lot of differences and a bunch of alternative variations to build from it.

Gabor, this was great news to me. Has the single seater been announced (if so any info on it)? 

16 minutes ago, Janissary said:

Gabor, this was great news to me. Has the single seater been announced (if so any info on it)? 

I agree, this is great news. And to think, I didn't have to start my HB Su-27 to get a new (and most probably better) one to show up on the horizon. Will wonders never cease?

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

The original announcement by G.W.H did say it is the Su-27 FAMILY of kits.

Back in mid June even photos already were shown officially of the mould tool for the single seat Su-27 version.

The only question is now WHEN it will follow the two seat version Su-27UB which is already around the corner in August.

PBrOscR.jpg

Going back to the question of engine exhaust. Yes, I did express my opinion with the hat of manufacturers on. Of course from the point of modeller it is important to have the chance to do proper painting of the interior which is not so easy (not impossible but not easy) if the nozle is one piece. 

KRYNAWN.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Frankly said I don't understand that new trend for making canopy frame and glass separate. It is not so easy to glue clear parts to painted frame without any dirt in final.
What is wrong to take just normal canopy, mask it and then paint?
But of course I appreciate that GWH tries to make something new and different and gives us just separate frame and glass plus normal canopy parts.
I do believe it would be much better to invest those money for Cartograf decals or additional PEs, then those a little contrivet and unnecessary parts.

9 hours ago, Solo said:

Frankly said I don't understand that new trend for making canopy frame and glass separate. It is not so easy to glue clear parts to painted frame without any dirt in final.
But of course I appreciate that GWH tries to make something new and different and gives us just separate frame and glass plus normal canopy parts.
I do believe it would be much better to invest those money for Cartograf decals or additional PEs, then those a little contrivet and unnecessary parts.

Because on two seater canopy, the middle section is wider than front and rear end section.

On one piece canopy, the middle section plastic will be thicker than front and rear end section, so there will be distortion, means when you look into the cockpit the ejection seat and other details will be distorted.

That’s why Zvezda also split two seater canopy by front and rear parts.

This has been already well explained in both R&D booklet and part breakdown notes added by me.

mB6G3SN.jpg

Edited by haneto
59 minutes ago, Solo said:

On the other hand, I can't understand why would anyone argue against this approach. If made well, the transparent parts will be thinner and might even fit without any glue required. If not, a bit of Clear will glue it while leaving no marks.

I'd say it's incomparably easier to paint the frame this way both inside and out as you avoid the pain of manually masking the frames for painting its outside side, while masking and painting the insides of a single piece canopy seems almost impossible to me.

But, OK, 5 people, 10 opinions. At least GWH is providing both options so to each their own, I guess.

Edited by ijozic
3 minutes ago, Solo said:

Impossible? It is quite easy.

Interesting, kudos to you then, but I'm glad such options are gaining track as I'd even prefer to buy such aftermarket sets if available (given extra detail on the insides of the canopy frame), rather than to mask the canopy inside and out manually.

You are right, it is always much easier to use ready Eduard's or Pmask's set, but using very thin, 0,5 mm or narrower masking tape stripes is realy not so difficult.
You can use it on the edges of masking planes and the rest is quite simple. That is not a big deal.

6 hours ago, Andreas Beck said:

Will the model come with a turned metal (brass) pitot ?

This is a good and interesting question.

With the Su-35S kit there was an introductory extra in the kits in the shape of a plus set tinted canopy. I have seen since then some modellers DEMANDING that the extra should be WITH ALL subsequent releases. Unfortunately some modellers don’t understand the meaning of an “Introductory extra” bonus so I am not surprised if some manufacturers try to keep a distance from such extras.

We did speak of some ideas for this new Su-27 kit but I don’t know what happened to it, but I would fully understand if there will be no such extra in this kit.

Turned pitot as a standard extra for the kit?? I don’t think so. I know that the kit will have a photoetch with some small parts as standard.

But of course there is a perfectly suitable turned pitot on the market by Master Co. I have a set (AM-48-066) in my stash waiting for upcoming kit. Also Master did make a set of static discharger (AM -48-113) specially for the Su-27. Note that it is a special type which differs from other Sukhoj static dischargers!!!

The pitot and the static dischargers ARE NOT FOR ANY SPECIFIC KIT they are a true copy of the real parts!

Jq1rQl2.jpg

XuWJlUP.jpg

ZqH2TBh.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, haneto said:

Because on two seater canopy, the middle section is wider than front and rear end section.

On one piece canopy, the middle section plastic will be thicker than front and rear end section, so there will be distortion, means when you look into the cockpit the ejection seat and other details will be distorted.

That’s why Zvezda also split two seater canopy by front and rear parts.

This has been already well explained in both R&D booklet and part breakdown notes added by me.

Are you saying that the main purpose is to make a more accurate rendition of the canopy?

6 hours ago, flybywire said:

Are you saying that the main purpose is to make a more accurate rendition of the canopy?

No, shapewise both ways using slide molds are same, no difference.

It's the thickness matters.

mB6G3SN.jpg

Su-25 doesn't excite me 😜

Immediate follow up will be obviously the single seater. Then maybe early version with different tail etc.

Mid term, I am hoping for canard flankers. I think there is an F-14 project, too, right? 

Long term, I would like to see 5th generation fighters. Any would do, J-20, Su-57, F-22, F-35C and my all time wish list leader Mig 1.44 😄