Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

On 8/8/2020 at 4:01 PM, Solo said:

(...) UB is not for me.

Then stop making comments like this if it's not anybody's business. You post such information, I refer to it, simple logic. 

You're getting nervous just like Nino.

@ya-gabor the nozzle looks good. It's always nice to have an option not to buy aftermarkets if the plastic is good enough.

Edited by Tapchan
40 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Of course I know aftermarkets will come up with exhaust for this kit also, let it be, but at least in the kit we give the best we can for those who don’t want to spend extra money or don’t like to deal with resin.

You know, about the exhaust nozzles it is not importan if I can glue it without joint line visivle, but the most important is thickness of such nozzles.
There is no matter if it is Hasegawa, GWH or Tamiya, I always buy resin nozzles for jets, because resin nozzles always look much, much bettere then even the best moulded kit's ones.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

You know, about the exhaust nozzles it is not importan if I can glue it without joint line visivle, but the most important is thickness of such nozzles.
There is no matter if it is Hasegawa, GWH or Tamiya, I always buy resin nozzles for jets, because resin nozzles always look much, much bettere then even the best moulded kit's ones.

1.  First of all feel free to buy any aftermarket you wish, no one is restricting you! 

2. Well this is an interesting area and I am not sure if I would llike to go into it  really deep. As I am in contact with many manufacturers both plastic kits and aftermarkets I do speak to them about different issues, developments, ideas, future, present and past.

One of them is exactly the question you have raised. The thicknes of the trailing edge of engine exhast nozzles. For one particular manufacturer I have specialy made photos of a real, still in service Phantom nozzle together with a measuring tape and in parallel to it added photo of the nozzle they produce as the "ultimate and best detailed, perfect scale reproduction" of the real thing. They could not really give me an answer apart from saying that THEY ARE NOT ABLE TO MAKE A CORRECT SCALE THICKNESS ON THE RESIN PARTS for simple technoligical reasons in resin casting. They have to exagerate both thichness and surface detail in order to be able to sell the product.      (this is really bad in my opinion!!!!)

So what are we talking about?

I said I dont want to get into this simply because this has nothing to do with the Su-27UB kit itself and we have seen dozens of posts already which have absolutely nothing to do with the kit, more about personal affairs, conflicts, politics . . .

There was one such forum running into hundreds of pages with out any real meaning! So if you want to talk about aftermaket nozzles I think we should start a separate topic on this somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Sure, I can see it.

I am sure ( I hope) you got my point about the joint line!

Best regards

Gabor

This has become the official space where business competitors exchange their best wishes to each other.

I cannot say I am annoyed. More interested on the kit, maybe... But please keep being such a... , we really enjoy it!

5 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

So what are we talking about?

That is it. There are so many disproportionate things on every model: panel lines, trailng edges, exhaust nozzles and many others.
But the most conspicuous usually are exhaust nozzles, especially their thickness.
Of course the resin nozzles are not as thick as they should be regardin the scale, but ususally they are much more thick then plastic ones.
Look at the KA Model 3D printed nozzles, or even Aires nozzles. Absolutely more details, thickner edges - just look much better then plastic.
The same will be with Su-27. Their nozzles look pretty good, just like Su-35 ones, but when you compare them to resins - there is nothing to say more. Resin nozzles always look better then plastic nozzles.

10 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

I am sure ( I hope) you got my point about the joint line!

Yes, your nozzles look good, the joints looks good, but they are visible. Especially inside the nozzles. That is why I don't like GWH nozzles for modern jets, they are almost always made of 4 quarters, and that always makes some trouble during assembly.
I do prefer one part nozzles, like F-14 od F-16 from Tamiya.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:19 PM, ching kuo said:

117197243_948403979009961_63026924929210

To bring this while discussion back to modelling issues I have a question: how does the seat belt arrangement on the left relate to the one on the right on the real ejection seat? To me with no knowledge about the flanker it seems like two completely different ones? Does anyone have a reference photograph for the option on the right?

In principle the one on the right shows a situation when the harness is open and left and right shoulder straps are "hung" on top sides of the back. Do I agree with this, only sort of. I provided photos and every measurement of the real seat. This arrangemant was made by kit part designer. There is a limit to what can be made from plastic, there are other parts that could have been added if there are no technological restrictions. I am sure many have seen the Nano straps that FineMoulds is producing but that is a completely different class of injection moulding. 

The seat is made with no harness as a base so one has the option of either puting a pilot into it, using the given plastic harness or going for aftermarket parts if one wishes to (I am sure there will be if not used older K-36 straps from other sets) . Or there could be even other options. 

Best regards

Gabor 

1 hour ago, DIO said:

More interested on the kit, maybe... But please keep being such a... , we really enjoy it!

I am trying to concentrate on the kit both here and on other forums, it is not easy, there are people who feel they need a venting place fro what ever problems they have.

Sorry.

Best regards

Gabor

I like the riveting detail on the exhaust petals, I understand this is possible only with a split exhaust in 3 or 4 parts, or slide molding.

The joint line is visible but with some careful adjustments, it could be almost invisible. Yes, as is, the results are impressive.

AFAIC, no need for resin for the exhaust cans, seats and cockpit IP/side consoles and gear wells.

I cannot wait !!!

Cheers !

22 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

This morning I was preparing them to publish the 5 schemes.

May all your wishes come true this way. : )  : )   : )   : )

mJy1tEH.jpg

fGzvC0O.jpg

Ya9WXiw.jpg

69FeoKS.jpg

TMi3tQ7.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Anyone has any idea if there is already a mask for the BLUE 74 out there or somebody is contemplating of producing one?

On 8/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, ya-gabor said:

A quick assembly of the ejection seats showing the choice given to modellers. How many time have you seen that the seat in forward and after cockpit have the harness left behind by pilots in exactly the same “arrangement”.

aOXXG8X.jpg

Earlier in this thread, I threatened to build the Academy single seater in my stash with all its aftermarket, since it was clearly a case of now or never. Anyway, I need to make space for the GWH kit, and I now realise a two-seater will be the perfect companion.

So, first step for me in building my Academy kit was to prepare the Aires cockpit set, which includes a beautifully moulded seat and PE harness. It took me more than 4 hours to get that PE harness onto the resin seat and to look good. First, I don't think the actual seat in resin is much better than your plastic version: I'm very impressed with what I see in the picture above. Secondly, I am not keen to EVER do that PE harness assembly again. It looks great, but what you are offering in plastic is not that much worse - and assembling it in one step, rather than the half-day I spent to make the PE one - let's just say this by itself is almost worth paying the premium for the GWH kit.

A few other observations:

The nozzles look great! I like the way it was done, the seams look fantastic, and once again - comparing it to the Cutting Edge nozzles that I bought for the Academy kit - I will not bother changing the GWH nozzles for a resin one. In my case, nozzles is indeed one of the few items that I tend to swap for resin replacements on most kits, but the GWH solution looks very, very good and I think I would just stick with the kit plastic versions in this case.

So, the fact that the plastic cockpit and nozzles are so good on the GWH kit already saves me enough to pay the slightly higher price. I'm really very, very impressed with what I have seen so far.

17 minutes ago, ching kuo said:

Nino is a good guy, he is insightful, the model kit is his guts that can be seen, he contributes to this forum in his own way, he is really a big help, like his motivation ,

👍👍👍🍺