Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

On 12/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, RKKA said:

Received my kit. Wow! 
I have 2 GWH Su-35 kits, but this Su-27UB is even much better. Ordered the Quinta cockpit „decal“ set 🙂

Anyone knows where to find photos for the „100“ of the navy force in the Baltics? 

There are not too many. 

Good starting point is usually https://russianplanes.net/ but there are few pictures of 101, 102 and 103 of the same regiment but no 100.

Few photos are here: https://samoletchik.livejournal.com/99810.html

and here: https://mil-avia.livejournal.com/618952.html

Also here is the video of official naming ceremony in 2013.

Edited by Helmsman

Here's another vote for the single seater...I'll just HAVE to get one of those when they are available!

Thanks for posting the video a few posts above.  I'm always fascinated by the Soviet/Russian paint schemes, the green and light blue combinations of colors.  I've always wondered why they use those particular colors.  I can understand the blue shades as camo against the sky, but the combination with green 'trim' colors I've never understood.

Does anyone know what the 'unveiled' Cyrillic writing on the engine pod says in English (about 9:00 into the video)?

Edited by Curt B
27 minutes ago, Solo said:

Alieksandr Pokryszkin.

Or Alekhsandr Pokryshkhyn.

I found this way of transliteration to be cumbersome and leads to confusion.

Aleksandr Pokryshkin would be the most logical way to put it into English and hope for correct pronunciation. 'SZ' doesn't really yield the (Ш) SH sound in English, and using Y for both (Ы) and (И) wont help the English speaker. И makes the sound of ee like sheen. And ы  makes a unique sound not found in English, but the closest example I was taught was the sound in the middle of the word buoy, minus the B sound and EE sound at the end.

Maybe I'm just picky.

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'm always fascinated by the Soviet/Russian paint schemes, the green and light blue combinations of colors.  I've always wondered why they use those particular colors.  I can understand the blue shades as camo against the sky, but the combination with green 'trim' colors I've never understood.

If you mean the green colour of dielectric panels, like nose cone, tip of the fins . . .  then it was simply a version used in the past for almost all dielectric panels as standard (see for instance the MiG-21’s) It can go back all the way to panels on radar equipped MiG-17’s but even then there were numerous colour variations: green, blue, grey, white. Somehow the green stayed as standard.

On the Su-27 the green panels were on first production aircraft later to be changed to white (for me the bright white is just as contrasting). But it is / was not a standard applied everywhere on every aircraft so even today you can see some green nose cones / antenna panels. Actually I like them more. : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for the translation, gents.  

And regarding the green color of the nose and tips of the vertical stabilizers, I understand those to have a historical antecedents.  Makes sense.  Thanks, gabor.

6 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

I found this way of transliteration to be cumbersome and leads to confusion.

Aleksandr Pokryshkin would be the most logical way to put it into English and hope for correct pronunciation. 'SZ' doesn't really yield the (Ш) SH sound in English, and using Y for both (Ы) and (И) wont help the English speaker. И makes the sound of ee like sheen. And ы  makes a unique sound not found in English, but the closest example I was taught was the sound in the middle of the word buoy, minus the B sound and EE sound at the end.

Maybe I'm just picky.

Alexander Pokryshkin is the right spelling of this Russian name in English. 👌

Edited by Kasatka
33 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

Where do you get the first R in the last name from? Its Pok not Pork. Otherwise, what you wrote is what I put in my first reply.

It is a typo, mate 😃 good eye 😃

Your first reply was "Podryshkin" 😜

Edited by Kasatka

I have a question regarding the GWH Su-35. I saw some comments on the Russian forums, people say there improvements made to the later batches of the kit? I have 2 initial production kits with the tinted clear parts. GWH has released 2 other Su-35 after that. Is there a difference in quality? 

1 hour ago, RKKA said:

I have a question regarding the GWH Su-35. I saw some comments on the Russian forums, people say there improvements made to the later batches of the kit? I have 2 initial production kits with the tinted clear parts. GWH has released 2 other Su-35 after that. Is there a difference in quality? 

No such improvement, always same mold from initial.

And pls stay on topic.

5 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Sprues Brothers is selling this

kit for $65..?

Apparently. If you put it in your shopping cart, that’s what it shows, but doesn’t identify the sales/specials that are applied to get that price.  I got mine from them several weeks ago on sale for $75 and I thought I’d done well!