Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4827 1/48 Su-27UB “Flanker C” Heavy Fighter

2 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

What does this kit give me more than my good old Academy kit (with a resin correction nose)? It is not a provocation, just a curiosity!

The nose in the Academy kit isn't the problem, the entire fuselage is wrong.  So, that, for one.  Also better/sharper/more detail.

10 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

What does this kit give me more than my good old Academy kit (with a resin correction nose)? It is not a provocation, just a curiosity!

Just to add to what was written already: I'm currently building the Academy kit. I'm building it because I had one in the stash and over the years I have collected a huge amount of aftermarket for it. My current build consists of the base Academy kit, Aires cockpit, Pisco resin nose, Cutting Edge burner cans, Eduard PE and Linden Hill decals and stencils. I probably should also add aftermarket weapons, as the ones in the kit are really very rough with thick control surfaces, the missile dimensions are questionable and the pylons need lots of additional detail, but I cannot justify any further investment in that kit. So, right there you have your first problem: To come even vaguely close to the level of detail of the G.W.H. kit as it comes in the box, the Academy kit requires aftermarket that pushes your investment far beyond what the G.W.H. kit costs. As you can see from Haneto's posts, the G.W.H. kit builds up beautifully out of the box with no aftermarket at all. Furthermore, while the resin certainly looks nice - the work required to get a really good fit of the Aires cockpit, for example, far exceeds the ease of building of the G.W.H. kit from what I have seen on this thread and others. There are also some very tricky work involved in the Aires cockpit - such as doing the PE harness and the HUD properly. Again, while the results look nice, the amount of work is probably 5 to 10 times of what the same assemblies would have taken you using the G.W.H. plastic.

Regardless of the effort and cost, while you can add a lot of detail with resin and PE, the finesse of the basic surface finish and details of the G.W.H. kit still far exceeds the surface finish of the Academy kit (although I have to admit, for its time the Academy kit wasn't terrible). Then there are also a number of additional corrections that you have to make to get the Academy kit to at least approximate the look of the real thing. However, to fix the dimensional inaccuracies that were mentioned here would be virtually impossible, unless you slice the kit up and do a huge amount of additional scratch building.

I freely admit that I'm really enjoying this Academy/Resin/PE/scratch and bashing project and I think the final model will look decent. But that is in line with the enjoyment I get from occasionally "spicing up" any old kit into a decent model. I intend to build a dual seater in future, and there is absolutely no doubt which kit I will start with: The G.W.H. kit wins hands down. And I will build it out of the box.

1 hour ago, Mfezi said:

Just to add to what was written already: I'm currently building the Academy kit. I'm building it because I had one in the stash and over the years I have collected a huge amount of aftermarket for it. My current build consists of the base Academy kit, Aires cockpit, Pisco resin nose, Cutting Edge burner cans, Eduard PE and Linden Hill decals and stencils. I probably should also add aftermarket weapons, as the ones in the kit are really very rough with thick control surfaces, the missile dimensions are questionable and the pylons need lots of additional detail, but I cannot justify any further investment in that kit. So, right there you have your first problem: To come even vaguely close to the level of detail of the G.W.H. kit as it comes in the box, the Academy kit requires aftermarket that pushes your investment far beyond what the G.W.H. kit costs. As you can see from Haneto's posts, the G.W.H. kit builds up beautifully out of the box with no aftermarket at all. Furthermore, while the resin certainly looks nice - the work required to get a really good fit of the Aires cockpit, for example, far exceeds the ease of building of the G.W.H. kit from what I have seen on this thread and others. There are also some very tricky work involved in the Aires cockpit - such as doing the PE harness and the HUD properly. Again, while the results look nice, the amount of work is probably 5 to 10 times of what the same assemblies would have taken you using the G.W.H. plastic.

Regardless of the effort and cost, while you can add a lot of detail with resin and PE, the finesse of the basic surface finish and details of the G.W.H. kit still far exceeds the surface finish of the Academy kit (although I have to admit, for its time the Academy kit wasn't terrible). Then there are also a number of additional corrections that you have to make to get the Academy kit to at least approximate the look of the real thing. However, to fix the dimensional inaccuracies that were mentioned here would be virtually impossible, unless you slice the kit up and do a huge amount of additional scratch building.

I freely admit that I'm really enjoying this Academy/Resin/PE/scratch and bashing project and I think the final model will look decent. But that is in line with the enjoyment I get from occasionally "spicing up" any old kit into a decent model. I intend to build a dual seater in future, and there is absolutely no doubt which kit I will start with: The G.W.H. kit wins hands down. And I will build it out of the box.

hello thanks for all the tips. May I ask you what decals will you use on your two-seater? thank you.

3 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

hello thanks for all the tips. May I ask you what decals will you use on your two-seater? thank you.

Just to be clear, since I didn't specifically say it: The Academy kit that I spoke about and that I'm building right now is a single seater. The GWH two-seater is a future project. As I said, I intend to build the GWH two-seater out of the box, but as I haven't started yet, I have not decided on the scheme. I like all the schemes in this release - but it will be one of the Soviet/Russian ones, not the Ukrainian one. I may still change my mind and consider aftermarket decals if I find something particularly interesting in the meantime - over the years there have been some very attractive Su-27UB schemes.

For my current single seater project I have Linden Hill's "Flankers on Patrol 3" and I'm doing "Red 01" with the Cobra from 689th GvIAP of the Russian Navy. I chose that one as a result of reading the book "Легендарный полк" (Legendary Regiment" by Sergey Zhvanskiy, which is about the history of the unit since before WWII and which has a number of nice photographs of that aircraft.

Hello:

I know I've asked this question before, but....I'm considering MRP paints for this build (they have a Soviet/Russian line of colors). Anyone know which MRP colors I should use for this profile? 

Thanks!

PS--I wish GWH would also do a proper Su-34. 

xc4N6mn.jpg

Edited by Porkbits
8 hours ago, Porkbits said:

Hello:

I know I've asked this question before, but....I'm considering MRP paints for this build (they have a Soviet/Russian line of colors). Anyone know which MRP colors I should use for this profile? 

Thanks!

PS--I wish GWH would also do a proper Su-34. 

xc4N6mn.jpg

I have the colors at home in MRP, they were relatively easy to determine, select the Sukhoi colors for the Su-27. It says it right on the bottle Su-27. When I get home I can send you the numbers if you haven’t determined it by then.

Edit, here they are:

MRP 195 Sukhoi cockpit blue-gray

Camo

MRP 196 Light Blue

MRP 197 Light Blue Gray

MRP 198 Light Gray

All colors listed on the bottle for the Su-27

Edited by Scooby
1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I have the colors at home in MRP, they were relatively easy to determine, select the Sukhoi colors for the Su-27. It says it right on the bottle Su-27. When I get home I can send you the numbers if you haven’t determined it by then.

Edit, here they are:

Camo

MRP 196 Light Blue

MRP 197 Light Blue Gray

MRP 197 Light Gray

I believe, for the last color, you meant MRP-198 - Light Grey for Su-27/33.

However, for the scheme that Porkbits asked about, I think the MRP colors that he really needs are:

MRP-046  Light Gray  Su-27

MRP-045  Dark Blue  Su-27

MRP-044 Blue   Su-27

MRP-043 Light Blue  Su-27

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Edit, here they are:

Camo

MRP 196 Light Blue

MRP 197 Light Blue Gray

MRP 197 Light Gray

Awesome! Thanks so much, Scooby, appreciate it. Quick question - what would be MRP equivalent be for the darker blue, for example, the blobs just aft of the radome and behind the canopy on the top? I'm assuming that's some shade of dark gray blue.....

52 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Awesome! Thanks so much, Scooby, appreciate it. Quick question - what would be MRP equivalent be for the darker blue, for example, the blobs just aft of the radome and behind the canopy on the top? I'm assuming that's some shade of dark gray blue.....

My guess is that it is MRP-045 Dark Blue, as I'd suggested as part of an alternative MRP set in my previous post.

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Curt B said:

I believe, for the last color, you meant MRP-198 - Light Grey for Su-27/33.

However, for the scheme that Porkbits asked about, I think the MRP colors that he really needs are:

MRP-046  Light Gray  Su-27

MRP-045  Dark Blue  Su-27

MRP-044 Blue   Su-27

MRP-043 Light Blue  Su-27

I have all those paints, the ones you list are listed as for Ukraine Su-27s.

Which I’m not sure what the differences are, as they all were built in the same plant. The ones I listed are for Russian Su-27s. They don’t list the dark blue, so I suspect your use MRP-045.

MRP doesn’t explain the differences.

4 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I have all those paints, the ones you list are listed as for Ukraine Su-27s.

Which I’m not sure what the differences are, as they all were built in the same plant. The ones I listed are for Russian Su-27s. They don’t list the dark blue, so I suspect your use MRP-045.

MRP doesn’t explain the differences.

Understood, and you are probably correct.  I was only making suggestions, based on presumptions.  He may be better off getting a few of the Gunze lacquer paints as suggested for the dark blue (C72 and C1, plus the smallest available amount of Gunze Leveling Thinner, if he does not yet have any Gunze lacquer paints), as per the instructions.  I myself have the subject kit, and though I have many MRP colors, I don't have any of the 8 colors discussed, so I'm ordering them, just in case, plus the Gunze C72 (I have at the other Gunze lacquer colors already).  I have no idea, yet, what scheme I might want for my Su-27UB.

Thanks for the info, guys! But now I'm more confused than ever lol.

Even though No. 64 is/was a four-tone Su-27, I see that the MRP colors suggested by Curt are Ukrainian, which wouldn't be correct for this Russian bird, right? (64 was part of the Russian Navy Baltic Fleet, according to kit profile) Or does it not matter that MRP 043 - 046 are Ukrainian? 

I swear, the hardest part of building these Russian/Soviet jets isn't the assembly, but picking the right colors/paints.  😛 

If I grossly misunderstood something in previous posts I apologize, and you can call me an idiot. 😜

47 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Even though No. 64 is/was a four-tone Su-27, I see that the MRP colors suggested by Curt are Ukrainian, which wouldn't be correct for this Russian bird, right? (64 was part of the Russian Navy Baltic Fleet, according to kit profile) Or does it not matter that MRP 043 - 046 are Ukrainian? 

I swear, the hardest part of building these Russian/Soviet jets isn't the assembly, but picking the right colors/paints.  😛 

If I grossly misunderstood something in previous posts I apologize, and you can call me an idiot. 😜

First off, you are NOT an idiot!!!  Russian colors can be hard!  And all of your points/questions are perfectly legitimate.

A few questions, though.  What's your driver for this color scheme?  Is it just the scheme as shown in the instructions?  I did a search for photos of an Su-27UB Red 64, and found only 3 tone versions, without the dark blue areas.  I'm sure that GWH used a real aircraft to put that scheme together, but I could not find it (I didn't search very hard, though).  I usually try to find photos of a real plane when I'm planning my paint schemes on a model.  Plus, something else to consider, is how old the plane is, at what point in its service life the plane is when you're modeling it.  There can be significant fading, which can change hues and colors, and it's my experience that instruction schemes usually cover schemes that existed when the plane was new or recently painted, and your model may be well along in service life with significantly faded or worn colors, and the sharp contrast that is shown in instructions can often be far less significant on the real plane.  It depends on how 'realistic' you want your plane to look.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from pursuing this paint scheme, but you might be helping yourself by finding photos of this exact airplane, and trying to match colors, as best you can from a computer screen, which itself is a challenge (based on inconsistent screen calibrations, etc.)  

I would not place TOO much stock in the MRP labels, stating which aircraft the paints are applicable to, as they may be accurate, or they may not be, and may, in fact, apply to a lot more aircraft than those stated on the label.  So...lots to consider.  Frankly, I've found an Su-27UB that has some green patches on it in the midst of a primarily pale blue and grey scheme that I think is really cool, and I may try to do that one when I get to my build (that plane is in the Wikipedia article on the Sukhoi Su-27, and is Red 17...take a look).

Please let me know if I can help you an any further way!!!

Edited by Curt B
42 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Part of the problem is that airframes are repainted and some pictures show heavily faded paint. It really can be a bit puzzling.

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Understood, and you are probably correct.  I was only making suggestions, based on presumptions.  He may be better off getting a few of the Gunze lacquer paints as suggested for the dark blue (C72 and C1, plus the smallest available amount of Gunze Leveling Thinner, if he does not yet have any Gunze lacquer paints), as per the instructions.  I myself have the subject kit, and though I have many MRP colors, I don't have any of the 8 colors discussed, so I'm ordering them, just in case, plus the Gunze C72 (I have at the other Gunze lacquer colors already).  I have no idea, yet, what scheme I might want for my Su-27UB.

I have all the colors in question.Just haven’t sprayed them yet.

58 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

As Curt is suggesting, try to find a photo of what you are building. Could be an error in the instructions as Curt suggests.

I’d think the jets had similar paint shades, coming out of the same company plant. They do fade.

Thanks again! This is great. I know a lot of modelers pick subjects bc of historical significance or because the subject was part of XYZ battle, or maybe the modeler actually served (in whichever country/military branch) and were around the subject or actually flew/drove/maintained it. None of that applies to me lol. I'm a huge fan of Soviet/Russian planes (both Cold War and post), but being honest, if it looks kick #$@ and is dripping with missiles and bombs, I want to build it (see also: A-10, etc). That said, I picked 64 because, well, I like how it looks as depicted on the profile sheet (white nose, whatever that shark face is behind radome).

I asked this same question about the colors of 64 a few months ago, and Legend1 was able to dig up a couple photos (see top of page 26 of this thread), but I never got specific color recommendations (not criticizing or faulting anyone who responded back then) of what is a very faded paint job (per photos). So now understanding there just isn't enough data on 64 and GWH's profile is suspect. 

I am in no way beholden to 64. Looking at sheet, 100 is too plain for my tastes, I already did a Ukrainian Flanker a few years ago (rules out 74, kind of similar), so....how about 63! Three color camo, so assuming that Scooby's original recommendations of 196, 197, and 198 would work?

Edited by Porkbits

which colors are closest to the su-27 livery, AKAN OR MRP? are they acrylic? how do they dilute? thank you. I also find it hard to understand something with these Russian aircraft colors. I'll do as well as Porkbits I know, using the infos above.

Edited by Alpagueur

These are the photos of "Red 64".

Same as the single seat "Red 01" with cobra eyes/mouth from same regiment, it has repainted 4-tone camo by local maintenance staff.

Photo copy rights belongs to orignal author and no commercial use.

14.jpg

68-15M.jpg

055831.jpg

C5_copy.jpg

C7.jpg

o3-2.jpg

pic_23.jpg

su-27ub_10_new.jpg