Classic Matchbox Seafox (OOB)

It only seems right to start the New Year off with an old kit! Of course, I have a whole stable of those to choose from, but I thought that it would be fun to look at something that I’ve never done before; a biplane!

While everybody knows the Swordfish, there is another Fleet Air Arm biplane of WWII that, it seems, is largely forgotten. No, I’m not talking about the Albacore, although it’s awesomely obscure and somewhat pedestrian as well. I’m talking about the Fairey Seafox! This was an observation and spotting plane used until the middle of the war to help locate enemies for the fleet’s gunners.

It’s no surprise that few people know it; it’s not fast, glamourous or sexy, except in that weird, obscure “What is that??” kinda way. Of course, that makes it totally awesome to me, and I was very happy to finally get my hands on a Matchbox kit of the type. It seems to be one of the harder ones to find!  So, if you want to check out some classic Matchbox goodness on a genuinely obscure type, go no further than the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/matchbox-1-72-fairey-seafox-oob/

seafox-oob-027.jpg?w=425

Edited by Faust

Thanks for this delicious review! I have a soft spot for these old 1/72 Matchbox multi-color kits (and especially for these sunset stripe boxes!). They were part of my childhood and I'm always eager to read inbox reviews of them online. I was and still am a jet guy, so propeller kits like this are complete novelties for me - and very interesting too! 

Glad to see that there are people out there who, like me, enjoy the weird stuff!

I had a few of these when I was a kid too, but I cut my teeth on Hobbycraft kits; Matchboxes weren't so easy to get at the time for me! I've grown to love them, though, as you know!

Chris: Awesome info on the Seafox. Thanks a tonne!