Exhaust Hoods on Wheeled Tables?

Hi All,

Now that I have begun using more lacquer paints, I really want to figure out a better way to exhaust the fumes.  Our home is not configured to allow for a permanent or semi-permanent exhaust hood installation, but I have been considering getting a rolling table which I could place near a window and run a flexible exhaust trunk out the window while I'm working, then tear it down when complete.  Has anyone done this, and is it practical?  I live in Las Vegas, and the weather, year round, while not ideal, could allow for an open window for a period of time anytime of year to allow for such exhaust.   Thoughts on this?  

Curt, 

Take a look at this product on ebay as a possible guide for your solution.  I didn't check CFM specs on the fan, but it seems like it could be something you could be looking for.  I would think there are other, better units out there.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVOHOME-Airbrush-Spray-Paint-Booth-Kit-w-LED-Exhaust-Filter-Hobby-Painting-Set-/293349538518?hash=item444cfebad6

Curt,  

I rolled my own using MDF.  My only regrets were not making it deep enough, and leaving it (stupidly)unpainted (this is easily changed though) .  MDF also made it a touch heavy, which, may not work well in your rollaway scenario. 

If you go the DIY route, also consider installing led lighting, as well as an easily accessible short power strip/switch.    

On 1/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, ytsejam87 said:

Curt,  

I rolled my own using MDF.  My only regrets were not making it deep enough, and leaving it (stupidly)unpainted (this is easily changed though) .  MDF also made it a touch heavy, which, may not work well in your rollaway scenario. 

If you go the DIY route, also consider installing led lighting, as well as an easily accessible short power strip/switch.    

Hi, and thanks!  I would like to ask you about the fan(s) you used on your DIY hood.  I've done some research, and have yet to find what I think is an appropriate fan to use in a build it yourself exhaust hood.  I've reviewed some 'explosion proof' fan/motor combinations, but those are hideously expensive, and every one of them has been HUGE in size, made more for industrial use or painting automobiles, not painting scale models.  I'm not even sure if a genuine explosion proof fan exists, or if one does, whether such a thing is needed for model painting.  That said, I do spray some nasty content paint (lacquers, primarily, and in some cases, spraying the equivalent of pure lacquer thinner, upon occasion, to provide a thin layer over lacquer paint that may not have settled down perfectly).  I would not want to spray what, for all intents and purposes, is aerosol gasoline or alcohol, into a fan/motor combo that could spark upon start or during a run.  I'm generally pretty immune to fears of this sort, but then again, I don't often create mists of flammable/potentially explosive materials and introduce them into areas where sparks exist or may potentially exist.  So, any thoughts on a relatively small (physically), but high flow fan/motor that does a creditable job of suppressing sparks would be greatly appreciated. 

Regarding materials to build such an enclosure, I'd likely want to use high grade, thin, plywood.  MDF sounds like a good option, except, as you say, for the weight.  Ideally, sheet metal, with appropriate piano hinges to allow folding it up, would be the way to go, but I have no idea where one could order precisely cut dimensions of such material, or with folded over edges to prevent sharp edges, which is how I'd want to do it if I used sheet metal.  Plus, the hinges might be tough to find and maybe even more difficult to find the appropriate fasteners to connect those hard to find hinges to the sheet steel.  All of this is probably doable once the appropriate fans are found, though.  

Edited by Curt B

I had a now discontinued badger spray booth on a rolling microwave cart when I had a similar living situation. The spraybooth was about the size of a microwave, so it was just the right size. the cart  was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Microwave-Cart-Wheels-Chrome/dp/B073P2KKXS

I drilled holes through the bottom of the booth and the wood platform, and secured the spraybooth with screws and nuts. 

The spraybooth mentioned by others in this thread should fit.  

I built my spray booth using plans and parts from Ventworks:   https://vent-works.com/blogs/the-ventilation-blog/15945741-diy-hobby-spray-booth

I've been very happy with it. In the end, all the materials probably cost about as much as a ready-made booth, but it was still fun to build and I like that it's customizable to a degree.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, Curt B said:

Hi, and thanks!  I would like to ask you about the fan(s) you used on your DIY hood.  I've done some research, and have yet to find what I think is an appropriate fan to use in a build it yourself exhaust hood.  I've reviewed some 'explosion proof' fan/motor combinations, but those are hideously expensive, and every one of them has been HUGE in size, made more for industrial use or painting automobiles, not painting scale models.  I'm not even sure if a genuine explosion proof fan exists, or if one does, whether such a thing is needed for model painting.  That said, I do spray some nasty content paint (lacquers, primarily, and in some cases, spraying the equivalent of pure lacquer thinner, upon occasion, to provide a thin layer over lacquer paint that may not have settled down perfectly).  I would not want to spray what, for all intents and purposes, is aerosol gasoline or alcohol, into a fan/motor combo that could spark upon start or during a run.  I'm generally pretty immune to fears of this sort, but then again, I don't often create mists of flammable/potentially explosive materials and introduce them into areas where sparks exist or may potentially exist.  So, any thoughts on a relatively small (physically), but high flow fan/motor that does a creditable job of suppressing sparks would be greatly appreciated. 

Regarding materials to build such an enclosure, I'd likely want to use high grade, thin, plywood.  MDF sounds like a good option, except, as you say, for the weight.  Ideally, sheet metal, with appropriate piano hinges to allow folding it up, would be the way to go, but I have no idea where one could order precisely cut dimensions of such material, or with folded over edges to prevent sharp edges, which is how I'd want to do it if I used sheet metal.  Plus, the hinges might be tough to find and maybe even more difficult to find the appropriate fasteners to connect those hard to find hinges to the sheet steel.  All of this is probably doable once the appropriate fans are found, though.  

Curt,

I have a dayton 6fhx9 fan attached to the top of the booth.  (I am not a lawyer, but a Electical Engineer) I investigated, and I decided the chances were small for any ignition of "fumes" with this type of fan.  I didn't use their mount but use the following video for inspiration:

I will post a pic, after I get GIMP installed.

Stay tuned.

I have a sheet metal booth that came as a kit. Not available anymore, but uses the same blower as Curt and David's posts. With the motor outside the airstream, there is little, if any, chance of fumes reaching the motor. These blowers push a lot of air so are great for spray booths. They may be on the expensive side, but worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 9:38 PM, ytsejam87 said:

Curt,

I have a dayton 6fhx9 fan attached to the top of the booth.  (I am not a lawyer, but a Electical Engineer) I investigated, and I decided the chances were small for any ignition of "fumes" with this type of fan.  I didn't use their mount but use the following video for inspiration:

I will post a pic, after I get GIMP installed.

Stay tuned.

Curt, sorry for the delay.

new.jpg

wrt fumes and explosion-proof fans, the idea is to not have the fan motor in the airstream. As you can see above, the "squirrel-cage" type fans have the motor outside the air path enclosure.  This is preferable to "pancake" fans like you might see in common PC/computer fans or a "box" fan where the motor is in the airflow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am really sorry for the delay in responding to the great posts you have made in reply to my initial question.  I've always been surprised when folks post questions or opinions on a topic, and get a bunch of replies, and then don't give any kind of feedback to those who have taken their time to try to help the thread originator.  I never want to be one of those people.

So, many thanks to all of you who have given me some serious things to ponder with respect to my 'hood' question.  For the time being, I'm spraying in the house, using a high quality 3M mask to prevent inhaling the nasty lacquer based paint and pure lacquer thinner I use to clean my airbrushes and associated stuff.  Fortunately, I live in Las Vegas, and while our winter weather isn't exactly warm, it is usually temperate enough for me to be able to open the back door of the house to provide a decent amount of outside air to dilute the nasty fumes.  However, I'd like to be able to take more direct control to reduce this 'mist of evil' to a manageable level, hence my initial post.  I wish our house was configured in such a way as to be able to have a permanent vent path for a hood, but we don't have such a spot.  I have thought of having a carpenter or handyman put in a 'through wall' orifice through which I could route an exhaust line from a hood that could be easily covered when not in use.   I suppose that wouldn't be horribly expense, but I'm still thinking about where the best location might be.  Currently, my model room is the dining room, at the front of the house.  We aren't formal, thus we don't, and likely never will, have need for a dining room.  So, I suppose putting that hole in the wall is possible in that room.  The only window in that room is the only front facing window on the first floor, and using the window, cracked open to accommodate running an exhaust hose, isn't really something I'd like do.  Plus, I like to have access to a sink, even if I'm using lacquer based paint and don't dump any waste products from my painting into it.  So, for now, I typically paint using a portion of our kitchen counter which is right next to the kitchen sink.  It's nice when I use water/alcohol based paints for being able to rinse things, on a minimal basis.  One thing I've thought about is, should the wife and I ever win a lottery and have several $Million to spend on a custom home, one of the design parameters I will have is a model room with a utility sink, and built in exhaust hood.  The likelihood of that ever occurring is pretty slim, though...😞     

Edited by Curt B

Curt,

I had a plumber friend who owed me a favor who core drilled thru my foundation.  Even so, he mentioned it would have been quite inexpensive. ~50.00 to perform the deed.  (power tool investment to do this as a one time item would have been prohibitive, in my eyes).  

Of course, I had to get a short piece of dryer ducting with the associated exterior venting, and DIY the install.  

Ain't nutnfancy about it.  

Anyhow, I don't know your home layout (basement or not, location of dryer vent (if so equipped), but perhaps a location could be found that could support such an install?

A friend of mine has his modeling set-up in the basement and also uses a roller cart and a Badger type booth that he can roll to the vented window when he wants to spray. Pretty simple arrangement so should be doable for you as well.

Regarding your dining room window, would it be possible to cut a piece of plywood that will fit in the opening part of the window and mount your exhaust to that? The plywood insert could be made easily removable and only inserted when needed, so the normal window is usually the visible option

Hey guys!   I don't think I'd have any issue at all if I had a basement.  I'd certainly have set up my model room there.  My brother-in-law has a nice setup in his basement, but he still lives back in Illinois.  I think about the various homes I've owned, and if I had one with a basement, it would be a piece of cake to have both of my key desired items, a vent path for a hood and a utility sink.  Unfortunately, basements are a rarity in the southwest, where I've lived for almost 20 years.  One often doesn't appreciate the little benefits of living in certain places until you don't have them.  

3 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Regarding your dining room window, would it be possible to cut a piece of plywood that will fit in the opening part of the window and mount your exhaust to that? The plywood insert could be made easily removable and only inserted when needed, so the normal window is usually the visible option

That's what I did with my paint booth installation. It's more complicated than it seems if you want a tight seal all the way around a partially open sliding window. I built a wooden insert to fit into into the open window space with a dryer vent in it. Then I had to make a second weatherstripped insert to seal the gap on the other side of the partially open window where it moves past the stationary pane. It turned out nice, and I'm glad I did it. But it was a lot of work.