Top Gun 1986 F-14A (Tamiya 1/48 - in-flight twin build))

On 1/30/2020 at 4:37 PM, crackerjazz said:

49465006688_8aec108fd4_h.jpg

49465316023_4682af15ef_h.jpg

If I may point out a little know detail about the Tomcat.

If you look at the pics you will see a small white bar going perpendicular to the centerline missile trough, it is just aft of the two white rectangle panels. That bar is what was known as the "staple", it was a heavy, thick U shaped bar used to re-enforce the structural integrity of the aircraft. When I was in VF-101 (88-90) we had several jets with it (older block/high time aircraft) and it prevented the aft Sparrow to be loaded.

BTW, the white rectangle panels are where the Weapon Rails Umbilical Bridges go, they connected the aft Weapons Rails with the forward Weapon Rails and also provided electrical power to the wing station Phoenix's (if you have a Phoenix on the wing you will need an umbilical bridge on which ever side you have the wing Phoenix). This goes for the F-14A and B, the Delta's didn't need them.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread but wanted to point out the stable since this is the first photo I've seen that shows it.

Janissary, Steve, Aigore, thanks guys!  : )  

I've ordered some TCS pods and L-shaped tail braces for the movie cats and started sanding down the early-type braces from the tailfins while waiting.  Was figuring out how other modelers sand theirs --- I didn't want to ruin any of the crisp details in the surrounding areas and wanted to make sure the sandpaper touches only what I needed to remove.   I remember I used to have this tool with a sandpaper band around it that your could rotate as it loads up.  Built a mini version and cut up a 1mm or so 400-grade sandpaper band.  

49501805002_f2f420fdff_o.jpg

49500365633_3a4ac72858_h.jpg

49500365648_347b7ad9f7_h.jpg

49500868576_ff0921f7b7_h.jpg

49500868611_df242c9f16_h.jpg

You can do some nice precision sanding with this thing.  It loads up very quickly so the rotating band really helps.  I tried to just brush away the sanding dust from the tip but that doesn't seem to help a lot.   Nothing beats using a new clean section of the sandpaper.

49500365688_c835283459_h.jpg

Will move on to finer grades, then will have to scribe those panel lines before the newer tail braces go on.

Edited by crackerjazz

Nice work, very clever solution. Whenever possible I try to wet sand because it gives you less scratches and, the paper doesn't load up with sanding dust.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Janissary, thanks!  Hey, I never thought about that, Steve --- will have to give that a try sometime.  The reinforcement plates arrived.   They look really great but a little too thick to my eyes 

49528439501_c3e426679f_h.jpg

49528665982_f79da07c73_h.jpg

49528439376_e1cce4ebf2_h.jpg

Opened up the top portion of the rudder...

49528439481_7578d0a634_h.jpg

Dragged the braces across some sandpaper to thin them a little.

49528439526_06a97c8439_h.jpg

Did the necessary rescribing of some of the panel lines and glued the braces on.  I forgot to take a photo but they still stood a little too proud from the surface  so I sanded them down some more -- from the outside -- but made sure I didnt go through the top layer, and that the three layers are still visible.  I may have to redo some rivets, though.

49527930463_df39b8fac6_h.jpg

49527930433_41c9784aba_h.jpg

49528439596_62c38598dd_h.jpg

49528666077_dc8c71db78_h.jpg

What have I done  -- hopefully my having mangled them wouldn't show too well under paint.   I'm starting to think I don't like my Tomcats anymore.   I  wish Tamiya had just supplied extra F-14D tailfin sprues in the box.  Or next time I'll probably try those Furball braces or the Steel Beach vinyl ones.  Oh well,   I'll just soldier on and see how this turns out.

Edited by crackerjazz
9 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

I  wish Tamiya had just supplied extra F-14D tailfin sprues in the box.  Or next time I'll probably try those Furball braces or the Steel Beach vinyl ones.  Oh well,   I'll just soldier on and see how this turns out.

Those tails look great.

I tried the Furball etched ones, the Steel Beach resin ones, and the Crossdelta metal sticker-type. By far I liked the Crossdelta ones the best, despite having to stack three stickers up to make each brace. Where did you get the small plates close to the leading edge?

On 2/13/2020 at 10:30 AM, crackerjazz said:

Hey, Andrew, thanks!   I didn't know about the Crossdelta ones -- will have to check them out.  Are they thinner compared to the Furball braces?   The small plates I used are included in the Quickboost set.

The Furball set I have are photoetch with some fastener detail. I see that they also make a vinyl set, but I have not tried them and probably will not. I like the Crossdelta ones because they are thin, but they still have rivet detail and they are self-adhesive, so I’ll probably just keep using those. 

Edited by andrew.deboer

Hi MFAF, Sernak, glad you like it so far.  Hi Keroburner89, thanks. I started with Tamiya light gray primer,  then using a sharpie marker dotted the panels at random, putting more dots in the darker areas.   I then handbrushed Alclad polished brass per panel for both lighter and darker sections, stippling the sharpie dots to mix it with the primer and lift it a little.  After that I did some masking and misted Alclad burnt iron on the dark section.  Finally I got some Abteilung light gray oil and weathered the burnt iron a little with a small brush.   I'm actually not too happy with how the brass-like areas are turning out. Still trying to figure out how to properly replicate those. 

• 2 weeks later...

Love the work so far! I'm working on the same kit after 10+ years of absence.

You have already saved me some heartbreak with some of the steps you've taken, so thanks loads.

I know what it's like to be your own worst critic...but so far these cats look fantastic!

Andy  

Hi Andy, glad to be of help.   And glad you like to so far, despite the slow pace.  Would love to to see your work -- Tamiya Tomcats are great, aren't they?

I'm experimenting on not using any direct brass colors.   I learned from an old post from Vidar that those curved feathers after the burnt area are actually made of stainless steel -- so it seems like they just burn into a goldish color because of the heat.   So I'm trying to experiment "burning" them using oils.   In some photos I see still exposed bare stainless steel and some feathers are burnt really dark.   I'll see how this looks when it dries then burn it some more.

49622021282_6e71ab8644_h.jpg

Can"t wait to see the new movie but they should've made Top Gun 2 sooner when F-14s were still flying.  Tomcats just look good. And the grubbier the better.

49621750051_61916efbf2_h.jpg

Edited by crackerjazz

Crackerjazz,

The F-14 Tomcat has always been a favorite of mine. You're doing a tremendous job with

these, and your attention to details is amazing. That decal sheet is absolutely insane, and

keep-up the fine work on your project. I'll be watching this build and wishing you the best!

Wow this is an amazing build.  I've been on hiatus from the hobby for quite a while, but I still have a stash and lurk around here once I while.  With this new sheet with the TOP GUN movie jets, I've thought about doing an airborne display, but had no idea what it took to properly display an F-14A in flight.  Gotta keep on eye on this one.

Chappie

Slow progress here as well! do, re do.... feeling the pain😁 

I'm currently working on the same area, the burners. trying for something that looks right to my eye... artistic license. I might post a pic once I've sorted out photo hosting, and will only be to get your opinion as I'm going for an inflight look as well. I do not want to derail your topic of what is some great work so far.

Andy