Top Gun 1986 F-14A (Tamiya 1/48 - in-flight twin build))

Wow! when I started seeing your build I wanted to build one too!! but damn! after all the work you've done, I realized I could never even get a bit close to that! so I'll just keep watching!! great job and thnks for taking the time to explain!!!

Thanks, Steve, yeah. Next time I'll try the Parafilm that you used on your 1/18.   Looks like that will give a nice tight seal with no chance of lifting at the edges.  I had a little lifting on one of the canopies even after thorough burnishing.   Hi kike, thanks for your kind words : )  Really glad you like it.  I love your Tomcat with the motion-blur base : )

I know I have some spare rear-view mirrors from some old PE sets but for the life of me I couldn't find them.  I just know I hid them somewhere safe -- safe from even myself : (       Maybe I can cut up some styene strips.  Anyway, just did the lightning strips for now.

img%5D  

And, of course, it's not a cat without whiskers so I glued those on:

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Still have to do the nose pitot tube and the antennas and other easy-to-lose protrusions.  Why are the last few steps always the hardest?   Ok, just remembered -- the missile racks, too.  After which I'll need to correct some of the paintwork on the tailfins.

That was a VF-213 bird flying over NAS Fallon back in the early 2000s. They were giving a familiarization ride to their battle group air warfare commander (CO of USS Anzio and non-aviator) and went inverted.  When upside down, the back seater grabbed ahold of the lap ejection handle and subsequently got some fresh air.   

5 hours ago, vonjhn68 said:

That was a VF-213 bird flying over NAS Fallon back in the early 2000s. They were giving a familiarization ride to their battle group air warfare commander (CO of USS Anzio and non-aviator) and went inverted.  When upside down, the back seater grabbed ahold of the lap ejection handle and subsequently got some fresh air.   

Wow..now that's a story to tell  : 0      I probably would have the done the same  : )

img%5D%C2%A0

img%5D

img%5D%C2%A0%C2%A0

img%5D%C2%A0%C2%A0

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

These photos turned out really dark, didn't they.   They looked bright enough through the viewfinder.  I'll need to bump up the ISO next time.   Also, if you notice there are those worm-like shadows on the wall.  It's not snot : )    There's some dirt on the lens but it's inside and I can see it on the crosshairs.  Will have to take it to the shop for cleaning.    The weather's starting to ease up.  It won't be long and I can enjoy some airbrushing in the garage again,  really need to fix some areas and do the antennas and missiles.   

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Geoff, Bastian, thanks, guys!  : )  

Some more flex shots  : )    before I really work on what's left to go.

By the way, now I totally understand why some of you guys prefer aftermarket metal pitot tubes.    I bent my kit one on Maverick's jet and tried my best to bend it back into shape.    But one of these days it's just gonna snap off.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D%C2%A0%C2%A0

img%5D

Watch that wing Mav!  : )    lol  

Edited by crackerjazz
  • 1 year later...

It's been a year already -- wow! 

As you can barely see  ....  I've glued on the TCS pods and various antennas.   I'm now getting ready to arm up the jets.    Something I didn't realize is that the pylons are now in the way, making it harder to install the mounts.  How could I have missed that detail?   I'm thinking about installing magnets for the pylons so they can go on after, but it might be too late for one of the F-14s.  I've already glued them on with Tamiya liquid glue which means they're practically fused onto the surface.

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D  

Edited by crackerjazz