Top Gun 1986 F-14A (Tamiya 1/48 - in-flight twin build))

• 1 month later...

Some of you might have caught sight of the model show not too long ago...   I had a hard time painting the missiles and still make them look to-scale with the F-14s.   They looked toyish to me so I chucked them (for the moment) and entered the F-14s in model show without any ordnance.

img%5D  

I noticed a couple of things.  My 1/48 models looked diminutive sitting on the table.   I was oggling at the other models the whole time - especially the 1/32 ones.    The rod supporting Iceman's jet is a bit longer and the model was bobbing up and down the whole time.  And it seems as if the slightest movement would set it off like if the table got jostled a bit.   I thought the bobbing would stop at some point but it never did.  I could probably have connected the rod to a dynamo and it would've generated an endless energy supply to power some light bulbs : )   I'll have to replace the rods with some stronger flat bars.   To decorate the base I slapped on a DVD cover which I thought looked cool at first but I think it quickly got old so I'm thinking about enhancing the base a bit with something cooler.

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D  

It's not too corny, is it?   A little variation to the cool and brash Anytime Baby theme to celebrate the Tomcat's starring role in the film : )

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanks, guys, a little progress..

img%5D  

img%5D

It looks like a photo negative at this stage but once the outlines are given a lick of black paint the cat's face should pop out.

img%5D

There's something missing still.....  maybe it needs more patches!  lol : )