Australian bushfires

I have been catching up on the news for this story and it is truly heart breaking.  I know firefighters have been deployed from Canada to Queensland and NSW to try and help in this impossible situation.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by the fires as well as the smoke.  My province had 2 very bad forest fire seasons with 1800 forest fires in each season and although we didn't get fires near my city..we did endure over a week of smoke and the orange haze from fires 500km away.

Keep safe everyone.

It's been very very bad here - drought & fires.  Our local area (Armidale NSW) was covered in thick smoke for months late last year.  Air quality 4x worse than Beijing etc.

Now the main fires have moved south, to southern NSW & Victoria.

We we had Xmas at Narooma on the south coast of NSW, got out 2 days before the whole area exploded in flames.  My mother was stuck there for a few more days with no petrol to drive out (power went out at the petrol stations) and all roads closed due to fires.  Two of the little towns we drove through/visited nearby (Mogo & Cobargo) have had much of their main streets wiped out.

And y'day we lost one of my favorite local aircraft & fire-fighting assets, but thankfully the pilot is OK.  Crashed into a dam on the south coast while filling his water bucket fighting fires down there.

wYbwzTG.jpg

As someone wisely stated, Australian's are very good at dealing with crises.........and that is a big problem.  We need to get much smarter and enact policies which avoid the crises in the first place - and our PM and other Ministers are getting a tonne of flak on that front!  But this just might be the holocaust we needed to have, to shake us out of our complacency!

The news stories of the wildlife that has been killed and injured by these fires is quite disturbing. I have also seen videos of average citizens going into the fire areas to rescue animals...some of which are injured. 

I tip my hat to these angels.

Today the southern NSW and northern Victoria fires joined up creating about a 600,000 hectare fire.

As an Aussie,  I cannot express a bigger enough thanks to the Canadian, US and Kiwi firefighter teams coming over helping us out.  

4-BD866-ED-A6-E9-4-A55-8665-531-FECF5-FB

I work at one of the Avalon where both Coulson C-130's and Conair RJ85 tankers are based,  this photo was taken on early Monday morning, the smoke haze was a combination of the fires  in both states. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of Koala action!

I'm pleased to say we have had almost 100mm of rain over the past 3-4 days, widespread across NSW, so much relief to firefighters & the drought.  Where I live in northern NSW, I'd say we still need another 300mm+ over the next few months to break the drought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...