MiG-23M Flogger B, Trumpeter 1/48

Ah, time for a little update to show I´m actually doing something 😛

The fuselage is glued..

IMG_4627_zpsyfnelqad.jpg

And the top with the wing fold mechanism...rather cleverly done I must say, not the mechanincs of it but the break up of parts.
Having everything fit into a separate piece really makes construction simpler...good thinking 😄

IMG_4628_zps5fya6ijd.jpg

IMG_4629_zps2z8rupwh.jpg

Before I glued the top on I needed to put in a distance made from a toothpick to make ends meet so to speak.

IMG_4630_zpsvm0ce4pk.jpg

And the top glued in place, the fit is about as good as I can make it, any discrepancies are my fault and they will be dealt with!

IMG_4631_zps1rif0ryr.jpg

IMG_4632_zpswjhhmwby.jpg

Yep, I will have to putty it up... it´s my curse! I use way more putty than the average bear so I usually say (with a tone of self irony)I´m a
crappy builder but a good painter 😛
To save my putty account I mask the areas to putty...

IMG_4634_zpsljszm8na.jpg

IMG_4635_zpsvoawgotm.jpg

On with the green stuff!

IMG_4636_zps833ocolu.jpg

IMG_4637_zps4ymhmkwy.jpg

IMG_4638_zpsf9ciqir0.jpg

Yeah yeah, I know there are other ways to putty that pprobably are smarter but this is how I do it and I darn well like it! OK? 😛

Cheers!

You putty any damn way you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Try a daily affirmation. Look at yourself in the mirror and say to yourself, "I'm good, I'm handsome, and gosh darn it, I putty my models just fine!"  :whistle:

But, seriously, looking good.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

You putty any damn way you want and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Try a daily affirmation. Look at yourself in the mirror and say to yourself, "I'm good, I'm handsome, and gosh darn it, I putty my models just fine!"  :whistle:

But, seriously, looking good.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😄

Thanx Mstor, you're a real bro! 😄

5 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Hi I'm AFM and I am a habitual putty/tape user.

I use the same putty technique as well; feels good I'm not the only one.

I think we should start a club, Anonymous Puttying........for us who heavily rely on putty and can't be bothered with getting parts to fit!  😄

3 hours ago, Aigore said:

I think we should start a club, Anonymous Puttying........for us who heavily rely on putty and can't be bothered with getting parts to fit!  😄

Yes! We can meet and talk about our puttying experiences. We would strengthen the bonds (pun intended) between us as we affirm each others methods and results. :beer4:We could smooth over and fill in the personality cracks that society has created by scorning the liberal use of putty (and more puns). :naughty:

"Hi, my name is Mark and I use a lot of putty." :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, Mstor said:

Yes! We can meet and talk about our puttying experiences. We would strengthen the bonds (pun intended) between us as we affirm each others methods and results. :beer4:We could smooth over and fill in the personality cracks that society has created by scorning the liberal use of putty (and more puns). :naughty:

"Hi, my name is Mark and I use a lot of putty." :thumbsup:

To think I found a brother and fellow puttier all the way in Milwaukee 😛

2 hours ago, Aigore said:

To think I found a brother and fellow puttier all the way in Milwaukee 😛

Stop, you're going to make me cry... :crying2:

Hurumph!!

Enough of this silliness. Back to work, all of you. We'll have no more emotion outbursts. This is no way to run an army. Chip, chip, cherrio! Where's my kippers?! :salute:

Honestly, Aigore, you better post some build pics soon. I'm getting out of hand :whistle:

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Stop, you're going to make me cry... :crying2:

Hurumph!!

Enough of this silliness. Back to work, all of you. We'll have no more emotion outbursts. This is no way to run an army. Chip, chip, cherrio! Where's my kippers?! :salute:

Honestly, Aigore, you better post some build pics soon. I'm getting out of hand :whistle:

Wilco....tho sanding doesn't make for sexy updates tho  

A short update...

I just want to show that things are happening tho slow....because boring 😛

I sanded the seams to satisfaction.

IMG_4639_zpsgcfwsxlo.jpg

IMG_4640_zpsy41gd2yu.jpg

That went pretty fast...but now we will come to the slow and tideous process of restoring panellines and rivets lost in the sanding.
And they are quite a few. Oh yes....

Weapons of choice are a scriber, an awl and dymo tape.

IMG_4641_zpsn0fqhxmi.jpg

rescribing the lines goes in a whiffy. I use a strip of dymo tape as a guide and pull several soft strokes with the scriber rather than hard pulls.
If you pull hard you may easily pull through the guide tape or make unintenional marks.

IMG_4642_zpstuluhgcm.jpg

Restoring the rivets is hellishly boring and tideous, I really should get me a riveter 😛

IMG_4643_zpsx22ge5k7.jpg

Well that´s where I´m at and it´ll take some time b ecause my head gets really tired fast from that riveting and I don´t want to mess things up.

Cheers!

On with things..

OK, done with my tideous riveting...yes I´m going to get me a tool 😛

IMG_4644_zps5g5qv3wc.jpg

Put together the Aires intakes.

IMG_4645_zpstrzpy313.jpg

And of course during painting one of the intake strakes flew to Kingdom Come never to be seen again.

IMG_4646_zpse9dwcd4c.jpg

So I had to scratch a new one, just tooka piece of plasticard and traced a profile from an existing strake.

IMG_4648_zpstkkg0dff.jpg

Sanded to shape and glued in place.

IMG_4649_zpsjbqhnsuf.jpg

There everythign primed and painted in dark ghost grey.

IMG_4650_zpso9i5yaom.jpg

The Aires parts fit perfectly into the plastic.

IMG_4651_zpsw82hefnf.jpg

Less so into the fuselage but that is probably my fault 😕

IMG_4654_zpszo1rqcom.jpg

Sides fit well tho.

IMG_4655_zpscpksabc1.jpg

IMG_4656_zpsijpte3yv.jpg

There, that is all the fun you´re going to get from me today 😄

Cheers!

Great work on those intakes. I have been anxious to see someone install them as I have a set for mine. Looks like they fit relatively well. Do you know if the Aires ones correct any shape problems? I know the 1/32 scale kit intakes had some problems that Zactoman addressed with some instructions on correcting the problems. Not sure if the 1/48 scale intakes inherited the same problems. I know that Cold War Studio is supposed to be releasing a set of intakes too. Wonder if they will be like the Aires ones or if they will be full length intakes?

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Great work on those intakes. I have been anxious to see someone install them as I have a set for mine. Looks like they fit relatively well. Do you know if the Aires ones correct any shape problems? I know the 1/32 scale kit intakes had some problems that Zactoman addressed with some instructions on correcting the problems. Not sure if the 1/48 scale intakes inherited the same problems. I know that Cold War Studio is supposed to be releasing a set of intakes too. Wonder if they will be like the Aires ones or if they will be full length intakes?

Thanx  Mstor 😄

The 1/48th scale is just scaled down from 1/32 so it has all the same shape issues as the bigger model. 😛

14 hours ago, Aigore said:

Thanx  Mstor 😄

The 1/48th scale is just scaled down from 1/32 so it has all the same shape issues as the bigger model. 😛

Thanks Aigore, you mean the kit, right? Do the Aires intakes correct the shape issues?

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks Aigore, you mean the kit, right? Do the Aires intakes correct the shape issues?

Yes, precisely...

I suppose they do.....I just shopped all the aftermarket I could lay my hands on 😄

4 hours ago, Aigore said:

Yes, precisely...

I suppose they do.....I just shopped all the aftermarket I could lay my hands on 😄

I guess I'll have to check them against the kit ones to be sure. The reason I ask is that I am curious why CWS would be making a set if Aires already has a nice looking one out, unless the Aires one doesn't correct the shape issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello good friends :D

I´ve been a way for a bit, involontarily I might add :( I was hospitalized for two weeks due to a streptococcal infektion in my tummy.
So I spent a while getting anibiotics intravenously and getting my tummy patted by sweet nurses. It was boring as heck and I finally brought 
some paints and warhammer figures from home to have something to do :P

I´m home now but still on sick leave from work the rest of the week and I have to show up for hospital every two days to get a new dresing on my tummy :P

So that´s what I´ve been doing...now for some styrene updates :D

I glued on the new belly strake.

IMG_4658_zpsac2mebkt.jpg 

Filled some nasty seams by the inlets.

IMG_4659_zpsa23rmk9i.jpg

I don´t know really if I´ll deal with this and just hope nobody sees it :P

IMG_4660_zpsf85wmyfp.jpg

Fitting the tail fin was a bit peculiar... ok this pat fits into a slot in the fuselage....

IMG_4661_zpsaseroczl.jpg

But this doesn´t have a slot to fit in....odd :/

IMG_4662_zpsos99mh7s.jpg

IMG_4663_zpsalt42r28.jpg

Added a couple of resin inlets.

IMG_4664_zpsgu0hua7m.jpg

One to the fin too.

IMG_4665_zpsixvg1fev.jpg

Next I aded a distannce to the front end to avoid a step when I fit the resin nosecone.

IMG_4666_zps8xfhvucb.jpg

Marked the tip on the nose cone as to remove it and drill a hole for the master pitot tube.

IMG_4669_zpsyxbolnag.jpg

IMG_4670_zps0jpf3vih.jpg

IMG_4671_zpsum5kkhlk.jpg

IMG_4672_zps0jqrfuag.jpg

And the pitot fit perfectly. :D

IMG_4673_zpsxox7abk8.jpg

Stuck the pitot to a toothpick for later painting.

IMG_4674_zpsooeshyll.jpg

I trimmed the distance a bit

IMG_4675_zps1nrgkt5c.jpg

Sanded the putty...

IMG_4676_zpsrgionp7x.jpg

Made a hole in the distance...

IMG_4677_zpswcs1ghgt.jpg

Used my dremel to open it up a bit
IMG_4678_zps5vjlhu8v.jpg

IMG_4680_zpsd4mhiqod.jpg

Until I had the hole the widht of the fuselage.

IMG_4681_zpspirq95il.jpg

And glued on the nose cone after I filled it with ballast.

IMG_4683_zpsj3oyfmqo.jpg

IMG_4682_zpscuvhapog.jpg

IMG_4684_zpsti7opnnb.jpg

And puttied it all up :D

IMG_4685_zpsjobudtt1.jpg

Okie folks that´s all for today...I´m back on track!
'

Cheers!

32 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Janne,

Good to see you back and get well soon!

You did a lot of work in a short time, must have been really hungry for some modelling! : )  : )

Best regards

Gabor

Thanx Gabor 😄

well I had an update ready before I went to hospital just added some to it 😄

But you're right I was really itching to get in with it 😄

Hi Janne,

Sorry to hear you've been so sick. Glad you're back home now. Hospitals are no fun. Take care of yourself.

Anyway, great update. The fit on those Aires intakes is a bit dismaying. I think I will wait for the CWS intakes. The vertical stab with the tab with no corresponding slot is funny. In any case, don't push yourself. Get plenty of rest. Don't need you to get sick again and make us wait for more great updates. :thumbsup:

Mark

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

Hi Janne,

Sorry to hear you've been so sick. Glad you're back home now. Hospitals are no fun. Take care of yourself.

Anyway, great update. The fit on those Aires intakes is a bit dismaying. I think I will wait for the CWS intakes. The vertical stab with the tab with no corresponding slot is funny. In any case, don't push yourself. Get plenty of rest. Don't need you to get sick again and make us wait for more great updates. :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanx Mark 😄

I'm on the mend and I'll be going back to work on Monday....finally 😄