MiG-23M Flogger B, Trumpeter 1/48

A small update...

The decision not to go with the Yahu PE seemed to have surprised lots of fellow modellers but here some reasoning behind that call.
The thing with prepainted PE instrumentpanels to me, this is a very persona view and I don´t mind others having different views, each 
to his own and live and let live and all that...
As I said; to me prepainte PE looks too perfect, like stenciled...duh I know it´s printed, and well ...what is the fun in that? I mean,
it´s not painted by me, perhaps I can weather it but it will never be something that I painted. OK I know that reasoning should apply to
all aftermarket but I get to paint the stuff and I can use my skills to make it come alive. That is the big difference, I don´t care for
it to look perfect unlessw I´ve made it perfect (wich I never will :P)

ANyways the update..

I detail painted the PE

IMG_4584_zpsnbaooyx9.jpg

And the resin IP

IMG_4585_zpsxngkdqom.jpg

And here it is assembled, weathered and flat coated 😄 I haven´t the HUD and other easilyfallingoff-bits, I´ll do that when it´s time to get 
things to fit in the fuselage 😄

IMG_4587_zpszqgds72q.jpg

IMG_4589_zpsp7erv9df.jpg

Cheers!

19 hours ago, Aigore said:

I detail painted the PE

IMG_4584_zpsnbaooyx9.jpg

Wow, when I first looked at the photo, I thought I was looking at prepainted PE. Your paint work is amazing. You have a very steady hand my friend.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Wow, when I first looked at the photo, I thought I was looking at prepainted PE. Your paint work is amazing. You have a very steady hand my friend.

Thanx 😄

It's quite simple really, first paint the recesses with a light grey thin wash, then you use a sakura brush pen to paint the edge of the dials followed by a black dry brushing.

Cockpit time!

Detail painted the cockpit.

IMG_4590_zpsceeamkjc.jpg

IMG_4592_zpsjjzcfep6.jpg

Next a grey wash.

IMG_4593_zpszwguehaf.jpg

Then a drybrushing session and a flat coat.

IMG_4596_zpsmzcrbwfn.jpg

IMG_4597_zpsgzce8lyz.jpg

Put together the pit...

IMG_4598_zpsdlgrespr.jpg

IMG_4600_zps82erqloh.jpg

And the bang seat slid right in 😄

IMG_4601_zpspmd7xofa.jpg

Here is the cockpit parts....still haven´t added the HUD since I KNOW I`D BREAK IT OFF  at some point before the windscreen got in place 😛

IMG_4605_zpsv6nxboxy.jpg

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, 11bee said:

This is turning out very well.  Love those cold-war subjects.   What are you going with for markings?

Thanx 11bee 😄

A russin jet of some sort...still looking for fun schemes

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Lots of nice schemes on that decal sheet.  Good luck...   To me, nothing says cold war more than the early grey scheme.d

See the source image

I want colors, done a few grey planes lately.....time for a camo scheme 😄

On 1/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, Aigore said:

Thanx 😄

It's quite simple really, first paint the recesses with a light grey thin wash, then you use a sakura brush pen to paint the edge of the dials followed by a black dry brushing.

Fantastic work!👍

If you want to try next time, there is an even easier way, which will give absolutely perfect PE IPs: Just airbrush the panel acrylic semi-gloss black (e.g.Tamiya) and then airbrush the IP panel color using enamel paint (e.g. Testors). Then just use a tissue dampened with enamel thinner to wipe off the paint on the raised instruments. The enamel thinner will not attack cured acrylic paint. It will look just like a pre-painted panel.

Cheers,

Joerg

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

Fantastic work!👍

If you want to try next time, there is an even easier way, which will give absolutely perfect PE IPs: Just airbrush the panel acrylic semi-gloss black (e.g.Tamiya) and then airbrush the IP panel color using enamel paint (e.g. Testors). Then just use a tissue dampened with enamel thinner to wipe off the paint on the raised instruments. The enamel thinner will not attack cured acrylic paint. It will look just like a pre-painted panel.

Cheers,

Joerg

Thanx Joerg 😄

Indeed, requires enamel paint tho 🙂

Wheel wells.

With the cockpit pretty much done I fit it into the fuselage....rather nice fit actually, only had to rem ove some tabs in the fuselage.

IMG_4606_zpssabxg9g7.jpg

DEtail painted the MLG bays...used brush and sakura pens

IMG_4608_zpsfhyojcnn.jpg

All the bays detail painted.

IMG_4609_zpswtynd9px.jpg

Next a filter and a grey wash.

IMG_4610_zpsqlvmrq3f.jpg

And glued in the nose wheel bay....without a hitch.
IMG_4611_zpsydrepgrw.jpg

And then the MLG bays.

IMG_4612_zpsbc6aqlx2.jpg

IMG_4613_zpssrktna63.jpg

Now I´ll wait for the super glue to harden and then it´s time to merge the fuselage 😄

cheers!

Update time, don´t you think? 😄

Before closing the fuselage I realised that perhaps I needed the exhaust in place first.
So I started painting the engine parts.

Burner rings in bright green and the rest in shades og aluminium and steel.

IMG_4615_zpsyx3wgyra.jpg

Next a dark wash...I´m not going anal on the engine exhaust...well since noone will see all the lovely details really 😛

IMG_4616_zpstqxm6wkj.jpg

Assembled the burner...really nice fit and eduard graciously gives you a color guide for the parts (wish Aires did the same)

IMG_4617_zpsabnpelqn.jpg

I used pigments in the shaft to give it a nice burned hot feeling.

IMG_4618_zpspa85dyfp.jpg

And added the shaft to the burner.

IMG_4619_zpskqlz2d2g.jpg

Dry fitted the exhaust can...

IMG_4620_zps6cjhluu5.jpg

Now I out the fuselage together... a bit flimsy and a bit hard to align but I think this will be alright, a bit of putty here and there 😛

IMG_4622_zpszr4o9op5.jpg

I dropped the engine assembly in place...what can I say, it was nice not to have to make room for the engine...it´s a drop fit!

IMG_4623_zpsftitknra.jpg

And the can fit beautifully

IMG_4624_zpsjxjbkfkt.jpg

Well I guess the top next then 😛

IMG_4625_zpstzexdr7j.jpg

Cheers!

First of all, great work!

What a great assortment of aftermarket goodies.

Unlike Janman, I'm not familiar with Sakura pens... what are they?

On 1/15/2020 at 2:03 PM, janman said:

Nice looking bays! A Sakura pen? The brand is familiar so this is a kind of marker pen, right?

1 hour ago, modelmax said:

First of all, great work!

What a great assortment of aftermarket goodies.

Unlike Janman, I'm not familiar with Sakura pens... what are they?

It is a brand of pigment pens with brush tips....pretty much like sharpies but higher quality.

IMG_4626_zpszqzxortw.jpg