Weathering A Hellcat

Ok,

The Hellcat is painted and decaled. But I saw some very usefull footages on youtube of Dk sea blue Catts. They were " clean" . Cept the US Navy then in good conditions in the late war time?

Or what to do to pop-up the panel lines with out a toy look?

Please need some help.

Han

Hello Han,

By late war, most USN carrier based aircraft were in very good condition.   The overall gloss blue paint was resistant to fading and quite honestly, the aircraft didn't fly as much as land based units earlier in the war.  I'd go with some exhaust staining and very limited scratches around the cockpit.   

Good luck!  

Ditto. One other thing that might prove useful is a silver prisma pencil you can use for scratches around the cockpit sills, steps, maybe hand holds and dzus or camlock type fasteners on engine cowls, fuel filler and gun bays. You can make a pin-point trace of scratch easily with this method.

41 minutes ago, BillS said:

Ditto. One other thing that might prove useful is a silver prisma pencil you can use for scratches around the cockpit sills, steps, maybe hand holds and dzus or camlock type fasteners on engine cowls, fuel filler and gun bays. You can make a pin-point trace of scratch easily with this method.

Good point Bill.   I second it.   Much easier to replicate fine scratches using pencils (keep them sharp) vrs trying to paint them on.