Last week, I finished the AMK 1/48 KFIR.  The pitot is from Master Models and painted with Mr. Paint.  The kit got good reviews but I seemed to have been challenged by it.  I really did not like the multipart wheel wells and used quite a bit of super glue on the bottom of the intakes.  The IAF symbols were masked and painted using the Silhouette Cameo.  The other weak part are where the main gear connect to the wheel wells.  One side has broken off several times due to it being a butt joint.  There should be two landing lights but one went flying to the unknown when attempting to glue it on.  In the end, I got it done and in the display case. 

Thanks,

Rodney

SlLaMhi.jpg

8MiI2xm.jpg

e65Q4uz.jpg

msNOLmq.jpg

Edited by Rodney
22 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Damn that's awesome looking! Kinda curious about the green? It looks minty and not what I would expect.

Hmmmm... I used the Mr. Paint IAF paint set.  It came with two greens and I'll have to double check.  

18 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Nice! I think this is the first time I've seen one of AMK's Kfir's. Do you know how it compares to the Kinetic one?

I haven't built the Kinetic one.  If I do build another Kfir, I'll go that route.  

Rodney

3 hours ago, Rodney said:

Hmmmm... I used the Mr. Paint IAF paint set.  It came with two greens and I'll have to double check.  

It looks like the IAF Kfir's were painted with the darker and brighter shade of green seen on many earlier aircraft. Not sure is any were repainted with the later light "sky-like" green. I'm no where being near an expert in Israeli camouflage.

https://www.sky-high.co.il/134771/כפיר-879

Edited by Mstor

Looks so beautiful. How did you like the build other than the landing gear wells you mentioned? Does it go together easily? Is there anything you would do differently, or things to watch out for? I have the same kit, it looks straightforward, and like you said the reviews are all positive, but just wanted to know if there are any pitfalls. Again, awesome construction, painting, and photography. 

On 1/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, Janissary said:

Looks so beautiful. How did you like the build other than the landing gear wells you mentioned? Does it go together easily? Is there anything you would do differently, or things to watch out for? I have the same kit, it looks straightforward, and like you said the reviews are all positive, but just wanted to know if there are any pitfalls. Again, awesome construction, painting, and photography. 

Thank you.  The bottom on the intakes required super glue and scribing to force it all together.  Otherwise, most of the kit was fine.  

On 1/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, Whiskey said:

Damn that's awesome looking! Kinda curious about the green? It looks minty and not what I would expect.

Would you expect a "greener" color? It was used on some C2 variants and on F-4s and A-4s. This one is C7 which has the new camouflage with this "minty" green as F-15I and F-16C/D/I.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:11 PM, Mstor said:

It looks like the IAF Kfir's were painted with the darker and brighter shade of green seen on many earlier aircraft. Not sure is any were repainted with the later light "sky-like" green. I'm no where being near an expert in Israeli camouflage.

https://www.sky-high.co.il/134771/כפיר-879

These are C2s. Here is the link to my model, won't post pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskU7FwvK

On 1/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, Rodney said:

Thank you.  The bottom on the intakes required super glue and scribing to force it all together.  Otherwise, most of the kit was fine.  

Bad luck maybe. I haven't had any of these issues with AMK kit. Very simple straightforward assembly and great fit.

Edited by Helmsman
4 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Would you expect a "greener" color? It was used on some C2 variants and on F-4s and A-4s. This one is C7 which has the new camouflage with this "minty" green as F-15I and F-16C/D/I.

That's good to know. Of course, I didn't know what the kit was, a C2 or C7?