Differences between 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A and -1D cockpits?

Hello all

I ordered the Big Sin set for the F4U-1D and (accidentally) bought the F4U-1A on E-bay. I have the decals, masking set, etc. for the -1D all ready for the build, but if I decided to replace the decals and the masking set for the -1A version, rather then selling/trading for the -1D, and still use the Big Sin cockpit and engine sets, would I be grossly inaccurate? How much of a difference is there between the two cockpits, especially in 1/32 scale? If there are any big, noticeable differences, what are they? Any help is appreciated. Thank you. 

Aaron 

Hi Aaron,

I did a long build of the Tamiya -1D and tried to make it as accurate as possible.   From what I recall, there was no difference between the two with a couple of small exceptions:

If you are building a late version D with the rockets, you would have to scratch build the firing handle mounted on the left side of the cockpit.   I believe Tamiya provides the arming box for the rockets already.   

If you are really anal, some D's were retrofitted with under seat armor and a plate to protect the pilot's left arm.   These were introduced late in the war when they started to focus more on air to ground missions.

Good luck. 

59 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Hi Aaron,

I did a long build of the Tamiya -1D and tried to make it as accurate as possible.   From what I recall, there was no difference between the two with a couple of small exceptions:

If you are building a late version D with the rockets, you would have to scratch build the firing handle mounted on the left side of the cockpit.   I believe Tamiya provides the arming box for the rockets already.   

If you are really anal, some D's were retrofitted with under seat armor and a plate to protect the pilot's left arm.   These were introduced late in the war when they started to focus more on air to ground missions.

Good luck. 

Bee

I saw your build, and want to commend you on the excellent job you did. I'm actually going to be using yours as a "template" for mine when I get to it, and I am now following along with your F-51 build. Thank you for your response as well. I think I'm going to go ahead and stick with the -1A. The whole reason why I got started on the Corsair, believe it or not, was the Disney/Pixar movie Planes and the character Skipper, who talks about flying with the VF-17 "Jolly Wrenches". I found some decals for VF-17's -1A's, so I think I'm going to use those. This build is more for my wife than me, as she is the one who really loves the sight and sound of Skipper. I'm going to be taking her up to Everett this summer, where Paul Allen's FHCAM has a real Corsair in his collection and let her watch it fly. 

Anyway, thank you for the answer. I appreciate it. Good luck on your continued Mustang build. I've got a Stang in the stash too, so I'm watching that one with interest as well. 

Aaron 

ps. where did you buy your paints for your Corsair build at, and what kind were they again? 

Edited by strikeeagle801
4 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Bee

I saw your build, and want to commend you on the excellent job you did. I'm actually going to be using yours as a "template" for mine when I get to it, and I am now following along with your F-51 build. Thank you for your response as well. I think I'm going to go ahead and stick with the -1A. The whole reason why I got started on the Corsair, believe it or not, was the Disney/Pixar movie Planes and the character Skipper, who talks about flying with the VF-17 "Jolly Wrenches". I found some decals for VF-17's -1A's, so I think I'm going to use those. This build is more for my wife than me, as she is the one who really loves the sight and sound of Skipper. I'm going to be taking her up to Everett this summer, where Paul Allen's FHCAM has a real Corsair in his collection and let her watch it fly. 

Anyway, thank you for the answer. I appreciate it. Good luck on your continued Mustang build. I've got a Stang in the stash too, so I'm watching that one with interest as well. 

Aaron 

ps. where did you buy your paints for your Corsair build at, and what kind were they again? 

Thanks Aaron!  With regard to the paint, it's Colorcoat.   Very good stuff and goes on fantastic with an airbrush.  I think I bought them from a US supplier but don't recall who.  Pretty sure you can also get them from Hannants.  You might have to do some googling.   I also highly recommend Tamiya X-11 clear gloss.  This was the first time I used that stuff, it's awesome.  Good luck with the build, post some pics once you get going.

John

Aaron

The instrument panels are different ( gauge layout and amount ) the panel on the lower right side has 5 gauges on the 1A and only 4 on the 1D plus the main panel has a different layout.

You could do an early 1D with the 1A canopy but you would need the shoulder pylons from the 1D kit.

If your building a 1A just use what you have, unless your an anal Corsair nut no one will know.

Don

Edited by DONG