A-4M/OA-4M on the boat?

Hi, Darren.

I do not think that it was a usual occurance. When I read your question, one image sprang up in my mind.

In the movie "The right stuff", one of the candidate astronauts gets taken away from his usual job of flying naval aircraft. It's pretty much set up as a comedic scene, with one of the NASA/USAF guys who come to invite him getting seasick and the naval aviator just grinning at that.

The Skyhawk he gets out off was an A-4M, 160245 of VX-5. The picture is in the "Navy Attack: Spads, Scooters and Whales" book by René Francillion and Peter Lewis.

The caption says it was on the USS Coral Sea. I have no idea if VX-5 was doing some carrier flying or if it was brought aboard specifically for the movie.

Cheers, Stefan.

Great question.  Never seen a photo of a USMC OA-4M or A-4M on a boat or come across well, anything for that matter, that indicated they kept up their Car Quals.  Obviously that doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I've never seen any evidence.

Brazil, different story:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiD-q2j2-zmAhUaZc0KHVvzDJIQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffoxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com%2Ftheres-a-magical-place-where-a-4-skyhawks-still-fly-off-1594183306&psig=AOvVaw2liw6MzBEhHMNKp1lUNeH8&ust=1578322395447713

3 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi, Darren.

I do not think that it was a usual occurance. When I read your question, one image sprang up in my mind.

In the movie "The right stuff", one of the candidate astronauts gets taken away from his usual job of flying naval aircraft. It's pretty much set up as a comedic scene, with one of the NASA/USAF guys who come to invite him getting seasick and the naval aviator just grinning at that.

The Skyhawk he gets out off was an A-4M, 160245 of VX-5. The picture is in the "Navy Attack: Spads, Scooters and Whales" book by René Francillion and Peter Lewis.

The caption says it was on the USS Coral Sea. I have no idea if VX-5 was doing some carrier flying or if it was brought aboard specifically for the movie.

Cheers, Stefan.

That's one of my favorite scenes from The Right Stuff. 

The Right Stuff - Recruiting Alan Shepard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj06C0GzgHs

Alan Shepard ( Scott Glenn): Sounds dangerous

Jeff Goldblum and Harry Shearer : Very Dangerous!

Alan Shepard (Scott Glenn) : Count me in.

So cool!

You are right that it was an A-4M and I have seen that picture from the book that you are referring to. 

Edited by JackMan