I decided to add resin wheels from True details to show proper weighted wheels. I did not care for the standard gun barrels that it came with and so I decided to try the brass set from Master. In addition to this, I had a leftover resin seat from the old legend series that was lying around.

Other details that were added were the antenna wires and wiring that connected to the batteries.

For painting I started with a black basing technique with a mottle pattern with various colors.74910705_10157383785831953_394184931844476646829_10157383993101953_23303502987632019.12.22+Cameron45.jpg2019.12.22+Cameron14.jpg2019.12.22+Cameron19.jpg2019.12.22+Cameron34.jpg

Full article at Wasatch Modeler

Very nice P-38!  I like that you used the asymmetric external fuel tanks...looks good and matches the details I've read about the Yamamoto mission plane configuration.  I am working on one right now, too.  

I have a few different and additional thoughts for aftermarket items for this plane.  

I am getting the Eduard Brassin Resin Wheel set which are weighted and look to be perfect replacements for the kit wheels/tires, but have separate wheels and tires which means no need for masking the wheel/tires.  I got the same Master gun barrel set that you did.  I would also recommend the Eduard Brassin Superchargers.  They are significantly more detailed than the the kit superchargers.  Really well worth getting, in my opinion. 

I haven't yet decided on the painting method I'll employ, though whether it's black basing or not, I do plan on multi color mottling over the priming.  My favorite paints of late are MRP, which are so thin and lay down so well, multi colored mottling will show through really well.

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Hammerhead11 said:

This looks really nice, I especially love the diorama base, it really sets the mood.  Is it a single piece or did you construct it yourself?  I think we need to start a separate display case just for the new P-38.  😉

Brett

This was a 1 piece base produced by squadron. They had a killer black Friday deal. All I had to do was paint it in one night. 

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Very nice P-38!  I like that you used the asymmetric external fuel tanks...looks good and matches the details I've read about the Yamamoto mission plane configuration.  I am working on one right now, too.  

I have a few different and additional thoughts for aftermarket items for this plane.  

I am getting the Eduard Brassin Resin Wheel set which are weighted and look to be perfect replacements for the kit wheels/tires, but have separate wheels and tires which means no need for masking the wheel/tires.  I got the same Master gun barrel set that you did.  I would also recommend the Eduard Brassin Superchargers.  They are significantly more detailed than the the kit superchargers.  Really well worth getting, in my opinion. 

I haven't yet decided on the painting method I'll employ, though whether it's black basing or not, I do plan on multi color mottling over the priming.  My favorite paints of late are MRP, which are so thin and lay down so well, multi colored mottling will show through really well.

I have heard great things about mrp. When I built it, three was not a lot of aftermarket available. The true details were also very cheap. If I was building it now then I would definitely recommend adding some details from eduard. I am thinking of coming back to it and swapping out the landing gear and tires when they become available. 

19 hours ago, Hobby-On said:

I have heard great things about mrp. When I built it, three was not a lot of aftermarket available. The true details were also very cheap. If I was building it now then I would definitely recommend adding some details from eduard. I am thinking of coming back to it and swapping out the landing gear and tires when they become available. 

If you've not yet tried MRP, you should.  It's like ink consistency, no need to thin the paint, just load it into your airbrush and spray!  The coverage is great, it dries almost immediately, and the paint layer is so thin that you never need to worry about covering detail in the plastic, even with 2-3 layers of paint.  It's a bit pricey, but so worth it, in my opinion, plus it is becoming more easily and readily available in the US, from multiple on-line sources.