Sotar 2020 vs ProconBoy PS-270

Both.

I own both, and I seem to use the PS-270 a bit more with the crown off and the .2mm needle.  That is not to say the 2020 belongs in the garbage.  

When I am working tight camo pattern...I use both and it depends on the type of paint type and how it spray's out of each airbrush.  If one type of paint mixed to such and such level sprays the fine lines I need...I use it.  I have both set up when doing that close up/tight work...so it's easy to switch between the two and mix & match. Cleaning the 2020 is easier.  

Cheers

Collin 

Thank you but for now I need just one fine tool :)

There's an occasion because one of European shops have just stocked Sotar 2020 in price around €130 instead of typical €200 so the choice is difficult. I have some other ProconBoys (290 and 289), can admit to enjoy them but who knows, maybe Sotar is a better choice for 0,2 fine line? This is why I ask for some opinions.

I'll jump in here and say that the Badger quality control SUCKS!  I bought two SOTAR 2020 airbrushes, and BOTH had air regulator manufacturing defects.  The dealer from whom I bought them (in the USA) replaced the first one, and did some remediation on the second one, in order to resolve my problems.  I only ended up with two in order to see if this problem could be resolved, and because the price I paid for them was really low.  The dealer told me that the Badger QA has become a problem.  I don't think I would recommend a Badger airbrush.  I will say that once the brush problems were resolved, they are reasonably good fine detail airbrushes.  However, I have a PS-770 (a higher end airbrush than you are contemplating), but the quality of that one is significantly better than the 2020.   However, again, just my $0.02.

Thank you. Well, if that's the batch with manufacturing problem in "my" shop then maybe would be bad decision to buy it. I guess that getting exchange from another batch would take around month or so. Who knows, maybe the price is so low because Badger decided to withdraw the bad batch from US market and send it to another continent at least, together with a promo price.

I thought about PS-770 initially but I decided that it's a bit too expensive for what it provides. I mean, in exchange for doubled price all you get is better look and 0,02mm tighter nozzle. I'd really love to have it but for half the price I'll still get decent (for fine lines) PS-270 and for the other half I can buy i.e. 2 awesome models (like F-4 from ZM and incoming Su-27UB from GWH).

I dont think you will notice a marked difference between the PS289 you already own and the PS270 you are thinking about getting.

I tried the PS289 myself as they are as you say a nice cheap airbrush but with some higher end lookiing features.

The entire Mr Hobby line is a poor mans version of the Iwata line but as that they do it very well, none of them, not ever the line topping PS770 match up to their Iwata equivalents but then neither do the prices as even the aforementioned PS770 weighs in at £188.

I wouldnt bother with the .2 needle if you already have a .3, the needle size doesnt play the roll people think it does with regards to "detail work". Just because it has a finer needle it doesnt mean you will be able to spray smaller details with it.
You would be better off using the MAC valve which will have more of an effect on your spray pattern than a ever so slightly smaller needle will.

I have only tried three or four Badger airbrushes and I....
Its hard to know what to say really, I mean I can out right say they are bad but I cant really say anything good about them either, they are proficient... just they do the job and thats about it.

My go to airbrush is a HP-CH which is sort of equalled by the PS770 but the over all much higher end in feel in use, in operation and in spray pattern but its also a lot more expensive... Which you are not looking for.

Looking at what you have got, a PS289 and a PS290, I would say you are not really going to upgrade your detail work ability with a PS270 at all.

Do you make use of the MAC valve on the PS289?

Is there any direct comparison between Gunze branded airbrushes and Iwata branded ones somewhere in the internet? I've personally never seen it and, as I am cheap person, I'm not likely to just pay twice the price for something that is not proven to be better. Significantly better.

What I expect from getting the 0,2mm AB is achieving fine lines much easier. I know you can get lines very fine, but that's not always easy on 0,3mm, nozzle is 50% larger in diameter and to get the same result you have to keep it far closer to the surface. I just want the mottling to get a bit easier.

Regarding MAC I have not used it to the extent lately noticed on some airbrushers's videos but yes, I am using it.

PS. You've said that Procons can't match up with Iwata- is it really that visible? I understand it may be important for artists, especially for commercial use but for amateur modeller...

Edited by Tapchan

Ive never seen a direct comparison on the internet, which is why I ended up buying some to try them out after looking at some reviews of some of the GSI airbrushes that said they are the poor mans Iwata...

Having tried them out I can honestly say yes when you use one from start to finish several times then you will notice the difference between the GSI and Iwata.

Everything about the Iwata is higher or better.
The build materials are better, the finish of them and their quality is better, which only effects your feel and feelings about it and using it.

The spray results are consistent, the spray pattern under absolute control and the HP-CH with its MAC allow some very tight work indeed. I find no problem painting the eyes of Games workshop Space marines with it with consistent results. (a space that measures 4x2mm) .

For instance the handle at the back, on the GSI it might be plastic, while on the Iwata its metal, or if both are metal then the screw thread on the Iwata is smoother without a coarse feel while on the GSI its not as smooth.

Its just things like that that make the Iwata better.

Spray performance of the GSI is good, really very good, if I hadnt used an Iwata then I would rate it over all the others at the same price, and believe me Ive tried them all over the past 30 odd years.

At the price of the GSI airbrushes you really cant go wrong with them, mine is a solid performer and once you are used to clean up on an Iwata that doesnt have a floating nozzle then you wont have any problems at all.

Not long ago I discovered Vallejo Metal color paints, I use my GSI to spray them and its all Ive used to spray metallics since.
I also decided to buy the PS290 was its a nice "single action" trigger type with a .5mm needle but more importantly I went with it for the fan pattern head which is reallly rather nice in a none gun format (some of which I have and havent used since getting a PS290) the .5mm needle does mean you dump a lot of air of course but my pump can keep up so its no problem.

The .2mm of the PS270 and the .3 of your PS289 is indeed 50% but you shouldnt really think that a finer needle will automatically give you a tighter spray pattern, it doesnt really work like that.

I would say before you spend any of your cash use the MAC valve on your PS289, learn what it can do for you, as it is not about adjusting the pressure, its not a regulator, its about increasing the speed of the air at a slightly lower pressure. The lower pressure comes from the constriction in the air path but the pressure put out by your pump is the same.

Play with it, learn what its for before you buy another one. You might find you already have what you need and that money you want to spend on a PS270 could go towards an Iwata in the future.

The nozzle size doesnt play as much of a roll as you think it does with regards that details when you get down below .3mm

I would like to have a go with a 770 but in all honesty having tried some of the other GSI airbrushes and Iwata versions the GSI are good but the CM are better than that.

I know there is a premium price to pay for a name but the CM is wroth the price. Its rare to have a job that needs one. An HP-CH can do all what he does in that video for instance and then some.

On 1/7/2020 at 7:01 PM, Tapchan said:

Hello fellow modellers.

I want to enlarge my workshop by fine airbrush. Which one would you choose? Both are on same price level. 

Hi Tapchan, I would have chosen the Sotar 2020, judging by the reviews on the Internet, it has a high rating. On this website, he's in second place in the comparison chart.

Problem solved:

49403888087_8fe65bb691_o.jpg

Two days ago my GF told me to finally choose something (it was supposed to be a birthday gift), ordered at Amiami 2 days ago for €80 with shipping, €55 cheaper than Sotar 2020 (with shipping) would be.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:18 AM, Tapchan said:

Problem solved:

49403888087_8fe65bb691_o.jpg

Two days ago my GF told me to finally choose something (it was supposed to be a birthday gift), ordered at Amiami 2 days ago for €80 with shipping, €55 cheaper than Sotar 2020 (with shipping) would be.

I have this airbrush. It does a real nice job and is easy to clean. It does feel a bit heavy and clunky compared to my Iwata HP-CS but that doesn’t affect its performance. As you said, the price of Mr. Hobby airbrushes can’t be beat 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a little older thread, but I just wanted to let you know you made a GREAT choice by NOT choosing the SOTAR.  I've just tried using the second SOTAR that was supposedly fixed and it still is complete garbage.  It does NOT do fine work at all, and spiders terribly when trying to use reasonably well thinned paint.  Just crap.  I'm going to send all of my SOTAR junk in to the shop where I purchased it, hopefully for a trade-in for a decent airbrush.

Edited by Curt B

Good to know. Since my question Sotar2020 was restocked 3 times in the store, each time it went out in just a matter of day or two. I'm curious if we'll hear some complaints on polish forum regarding this topic. Or maybe they were a good batch? Anyway, didn't even had a chance to test my AB yet as it arrived just after I finished my last model. I'll test it when painting current one (HB 1/48 Hornet C).

43 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Good to know. Since my question Sotar2020 was restocked 3 times in the store, each time it went out in just a matter of day or two. I'm curious if we'll hear some complaints on polish forum regarding this topic. Or maybe they were a good batch? Anyway, didn't even had a chance to test my AB yet as it arrived just after I finished my last model. I'll test it when painting current one (HB 1/48 Hornet C).

Good luck with your new airbrush!  I have a PB-770 myself, which I got for extreme detail work, but haven’t used it yet.  It does feel very solid in the hand, though, and I like that it has the built-in MAC valve.  I didn’t want to spend the $600 plus for an Iwata Custom Micron.  I’ve tentatively decided to go for a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity airbrush to replace the SOTARs. I really feel bad about bashing an American made product, but I have to be honest when trying to give folks an opinion.  

I've mulled over the idea of getting something like a Custom Micron, but in the end I feel it would be wasted on me. I don't have the dexterity I once had and I doubt I could do an airbrush like that justice. I will say, though, that I have been very happy with my H&S Infinity. It just works well and is very easy to clean, which is a BIG plus in my book.

2 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I've mulled over the idea of getting something like a Custom Micron, but in the end I feel it would be wasted on me. I don't have the dexterity I once had and I doubt I could do an airbrush like that justice. I will say, though, that I have been very happy with my H&S Infinity. It just works well and is very easy to clean, which is a BIG plus in my book.

Ahhhh, ease of cleaning, the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT airbrush quality!!!  In my book anyway.  Spraygunner is telling me that they think the Grex airbrush, which they characterized as ‘more versatile and robust’ than even the H&S Infinity, is something I should also consider.  I wonder if that’s a salesperson’s perspective, or a user’s perspective...

4 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Ahhhh, ease of cleaning, the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT airbrush quality!!!  In my book anyway.  Spraygunner is telling me that they think the Grex airbrush, which they characterized as ‘more versatile and robust’ than even the H&S Infinity, is something I should also consider.  I wonder if that’s a salesperson’s perspective, or a user’s perspective...

Never have tried a Grex, but, after running lacquer thinner through it, I can strip down the Infinity in a minute, use the set of small brushes I have for cleaning to get the insides truly cleaned out and then wipe down the needle. Reassemble and I have a spotless airbrush ready to use. Five or ten minutes top. Don't always strip it down though, sometimes I just run lacquer thinner through and move on to the next color. Usually only strip it down if I am not going to use it again for a while (or if I didn't strip it down the last time I used it and its been a while).