The Ghost Tiger Typhoon a little bigger (tackling the 1/48 Revell Eurofighter Typhoon as training for 1/32)-FINISHED

And with that we can at least apply the basic stencils. Actually, I wanted to use as much of Revell's decal sheet as possible, but after checking the original, I found that I could use them only very limited because they are either out of date or these decals are just not enough. You can hardly see it from a distance, but almost every panel has its own number. Well ... what do you want to do?! Graphics tool, patience, printer and again the DIY modeller is called upon hihihi.
Fortunately, the tiger stripes on the top have left out a lot of the regular stencils. That makes it a little easier for me. But the bottom is some proper work. Looooooooots and lots of numbers!

37770956fu.jpg

37770957xk.jpg

37770958wh.jpg

37770959sg.jpg

37770960oe.jpg

37770961up.jpg

Here is just one example of stencils that Revell has forgotten. For instance the missile launchers; there are stencils on the original that are unfortunately missing in Revells sheet. Of course there are more cases like this, I'm afraid:

37770984io.jpg

Here is another example in which the Revell stencils are quite ok. in a way, but unfortunately just do not want to fit the kit they are made for. Revell provides a large stencil bundle for the warning markings around the emergency rescue punch in panel. So far so good, but unfortunately it doesn't fit if you want to put it as a whole on the respective spot. So on the one hand I had to cut again and on the other hand many elements had to be DIYed again because the color just didn't fit the current standard of the original anymore.

37771006oc.jpg

37771007xc.jpg

The stupid thing with too clean planes is that the models far too quickly look like toys, even more so if they have a special paint job, and there is nothing worse for the modeller! Luckily, towards the end the Ghost Tiger already looked a tiny wee bit "battered" around the belly, so I don't do anything wrong if I age it a little. (You can see, that two missile clips fell off. Note: already fixed again hihihi)

37771078nn.jpg

Edited by bushande

Alright, lets get this finsihed; on to the final round.
After I have adapted the original templates to the kit meassures in a first round, there is a first test print on paper. let's see where we stand and weeeeell .... it at least roughly seems to fit quite well. Of course there are still a lot of details that don't really want to fit properly as on the original yet. In particular, the intersections between the wing and fuselage contain one or two details, which are not quite as they should be relative to the original:

37779051zc.jpg

37779982ba.jpg

Edited by bushande

There are some spots where the stripes do not blend very precisely and smoothly into eachother. But this is not a mistake, it is intentional. As it was with the original, so I want it to be on the model. Except for the staggered stripes on the spine. I'll not imitate that, otherwise it would look too much like an accident in decalling. I will leave a thin line there as on the original, but otherwise will match the stripes as much as possible and imitate the differences in the foiling between the sides on the original only by moving the decal  template on the PC:

37779210gy.jpg

So .... the rest of the decals are put on and so far everything looks not too bad. Of course, the edges and subtleties still have to be cut and evened out, but basically everything is as largely where it was on the original, at least for my terms. (Here can guess what it would have looked like if, like the Bronze Tiger at the time, the whole thing had been applied in gloss. Conclusion: Naaaaawwww, semi flatt finish was just fine hihihihi)

37779249ct.jpg

37779250ta.jpg

After I compared everything a perceived 100x with the original until I had square eyes, I sealed everything again with Future and carefully smoothed the entire model including all surfaces outside of the decals with 2000 sandpaper and removed any bumps and orange peel. Then everything was covered several times with a satin flatt finish, until - at least in my eyes - it about matched the light effect that the Tiger foil created on the original. Is it is perfect? No! Are there discrepancies? Most definitely! But as it is now, it does suffice for me.

37779299il.jpg

37779300fx.jpg

37779301mu.jpg

After I have adjusted the light stain the APU exhaust leaves on the fuselage with weathering pigments and thickened ash particles, there is a final countercheck and yup, all in all about all fix points are about where they should be and as the original . Enough! No more thinking about it, otherwise my brain will turn into gelly!

37779339wm.jpg

37779341dm.jpg

37779342uq.jpg

On the pictures of the original, small white dots can be seen in the outer areas of both wings. I never paid attention to it on the original. No idea what that is, but of course that has to be added to the model as well. Here you notice that you always have to make a cut on perfection when it comes to modelling. There must be some dimensional differences between the model and the original. The small dot is exactly in line with that of the slatson the original. On the model, I have to move it about a millimeter inward so that it lies correctly relative to the Knight's Cross. If I wanted to correct this, I would have to move all the tiger stripes on the wing and then these would again no longer lie correctly. Or I move / enlarge the knight's cross, but then it is no longer correct with the stripes and the raised rivets. Well ... everyone has to die a little death, I guess ...

37779383pr.jpg

37779384rt.jpg

Originally the canards were painted by someone coming over to Neuburg airbase from the Erding facility closeby after a template that I did, but result was .....uuuuuuuhm ..... well, I better not open the can of worms anymore. It was not the nicest story. But in the end it was a good thing! The canards were painted black again after the first flight, the eyes that I designed as a template for the canards were enlarged and also printed on foil and then applied to the canards. The good thing about it is that I now have a nice keepsake. Thankfully the airwing was able to not shred on of the eyes on the canards and keep it for me after the defoliation. Now all I need is an Eufi-Canards hihihi.

The eye foil had a peculiar effect on the canards, which I did not like at first, but strangely, was even well received by many for whatever reason. Depending on how the light came in, the foil reflected differently, so that you could see the "eye around the eye" and the adhesive edges and sometimes not. I tried to imitate the whole thing on the model. I then also added some glossy coating to the edges to imitate the sealing of the edges on the original. Not perfect, but good enough for me:

37779407ar.jpg

37779408sg.jpg

Soooo .... the rest is actually just small things that are not worth showing. The tanks got their claws and all the antennas were attached to the fuselage. The launcher got the yellow rails and the payload was attached. And with that the whole thing is already done:

37779457wo.jpg