How many coats of paint before panel lines lost?

Morning!

So I am not a newb but I am no expert in model building either. I am trying a new technique on my Trumpeter 1/32 F4U-1D... hairspray technique. I am going for a well-used and weathered look in the Pacific.

I work primarily with an airbrush and acrylic paints.

I primed the model in black, then went over with aluminum in some places and interior green in others. Here was my plan moving forward:

Hairspray over the aluminum and interior green -> then white coat and black on panel lines -> then thinned top coats so the panel lines show through.

I would then go back with a toothbrush and water on the paint to show the aluminum and interior green through it all. However, this now seems like an awful lot of coats over the hairspray and that: 1) the hairspray technique may no longer work and the paint may not come off, and 2) I may lose panel line detail with all of the coats.

I want some shading though over the bird, that detail that makes the plane really POP!

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim 

Hi Jim,

I did exactly what you are planning on my "Dark Blue Killer" build. I had no issues with filling in panel lines with all the paint.  That being said, it's kinda dependent on what you use for paints and your airbrushing technique.   I was pretty happy with the final outcome, given that it was my first time using this method.   Given how scuffed up the Corsair's wing roots got, there really isn't a better way to replicate that weathering.  

47403268752_b398eb4562_b.jpg

Note below that this was during the initial building stage.  I went back afterwards and added some additional scratches, etc using a sharp artist's pencil. 

45320635435_5fc326936b_b.jpg

As @11bee noted, a key factor is the type of paint. Assuming you meant water-based acrylics, they're the thickest paint. Lacquers are thinnest, with enamels between.

That being said, you have some control over the thickness of the paint layers you apply, and complete control the number of layers. You'll need to decide when, if, it's too thick...

I’m a simple man and like simple approaches. The less coats of stuff, the better. If t you mess up and need to go back, more junk will inhibit spot repairs. I’m not even sure if there was a coat of zinc chromate under the blue final finish. Maybe one of the other better informed contributors know. The technique you outline does look realistic though. Love 11bee’s example, color, degree of sheen, etc

2 hours ago, BillS said:

I’m a simple man and like simple approaches. The less coats of stuff, the better. If t you mess up and need to go back, more junk will inhibit spot repairs. I’m not even sure if there was a coat of zinc chromate under the blue final finish. Maybe one of the other better informed contributors know. The technique you outline does look realistic though. Love 11bee’s example, color, degree of sheen, etc

Thanks very much!    With regard to zinc chromate, many pics show ZC visible where the paint is worn off.   However, other pics just show bare metal.   I went with a bit of ZC here and there just to add some color.   If you don’t go this route, you’ll still be in good shape.   Best of luck either way, don’t forget to post some pics.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the help! The technique worked well and I’m surprised at how the multiple layers of paint and hairspray didnt “flood out” the panel lines. I’m not done yet, but here’s a pic of my progress:

(and yes I know it’s far from perfect. I had a hell of a time with the decals cracking and breaking and the air intakes on the wing roots fit terribly. I’m horrible with filler putty although this pic doesn’t show it)

4E63C19F-A396-4C32-8343-20325290B7F2.jpeg

Ok, so next question... fading the paint... I want to give the paint scheme and decals an overall “faded” look. I read that you can lightly wet down a model, sprinkle it liberally with rock salt, then spray a “filter layer” lightly over that. Brush away the salt when it dries and it gives a faded look. Has anyone tried this?

1 hour ago, Jimd0586 said:

Btw, I’m using my phone for pics and it’s limited to 100 kB uploads... how do you guys post such high quality pictures?

I always shoot pix with my phone. My process is:

1. Shoot photo on phone
  2. Automagically uploaded to Google Photos
  3. Manually select and download to my desktop computer
  4. Prepare the image for posting (resize, rotate as needed, strip EXIF data, and rename). I wrote a Python script that does all of this; PM me if you want it. 
  5. Upload to postimage
  6. Paste link into thread

@11bee Finished! I have attached the link to Imagepost. I admit I over-weathered it... pictures of that period in the war (1945) show allied planes as not nearly so beat up. But this was a proof of concept build. You can’t see them, but I scratch built the seatbelts. I had some real issues with the wings on the trumpeter kit. It is a great kit but the hinges are really flimsy. I’m giving this one to a family friend that recently bought me a set of WWII history books. I know it doesn’t compare with the other models posted on here, but for my abilities I think it looks alright.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/39afl32f4/