Box misprint add value?

I think our hobby has changed and evolved. I recall when the Aurora Arrow kit was in hot demand. Even the box was worth something. I bet now that is not the case as people just don't care about that stuff anymore. Ok maybe some do but not me. I even built some of my Aurora kits.

I used to collect Todd McFarlane hockey figures and yes there were some with miss prints on the figures and even missing water bottles in the goalie sets. They went for stupid money  when people found them. I committed the ultimate sin by opening mine and actually displaying them. Still have a lot of them in the package but I fully intend to open them. Now they are not worth so much or at least they are not as valuable as some people think.

7 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I recall when the Aurora Arrow kit

Aw man, I apparently didn't know they made one!
Way back when I was in to their 1/48 WW2 tanks and their 1/48 WW1 airplanes.

And that may be why.
Speaking of boxes: it was interesting when some of the tank kit boxes, the square ones, had printed wrapper for tank kit applied over box orginally assembled with printed wrapper for monster kit.
Do remember that some of their 1/48 tank kit figures were quite nicely sculpted and molded and some were rather simple and basic.

Edited by southwestforests
9 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Remember the Monogram OA-4M with "MARINIES" on the tail?

I have one of those, along with the Monogram F-84F Thunderstreak that has 'UASF' on the tail. Coincidentally (or, perhaps not) the same artist.

I remember the old ESCI 1/48 F-8E that had the USS Oriskany spelled wrong on the decal sheet. I bet there's more then a few F-8's sitting in cabinets with the ships name spelled wrong and the owner is none the wiser :woot.gif:.

Happy modeling all!

6 hours ago, Don said:

I remember the old ESCI 1/48 F-8E that had the USS Oriskany spelled wrong on the decal sheet. I bet there's more then a few F-8's sitting in cabinets with the ships name spelled wrong and the owner is none the wiser :woot.gif:.

Happy modeling all!

I had one of those. I think there is also no pilot's name in the name bar.

I just bought an Aurora box only that was in great shape on Ebay . I had an Aurora AH-56 Cheyenne that was in need of a box. Value just went up. Only problem is Atlantis just re-issued the kit so value went back down. Oh well. About the boxes with things that are wrong. Nope. No increased value. Actually less.

Steve J

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:36 AM, Darren Roberts said:

Remember the Monogram OA-4M with "MARINIES" on the tail?

Darren,

I don't remember the Marine Skyhawk but I do remember the Revell/Monogram Dale Earnhardt two car combo that had one Chevrolet and one Pontiac in it where the box art had the word "Pontiac" misspelled.  At the time, I didn't have the combo in my collection but the guy I bought this set from told me that the combo was more valuable because of the misspelling.  I told him that I was a builder, not a collector and I pretty much forced him to reduce his price for the set because I wasn't going to pay his higher price just for the sake of the misspelling.

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

No, it doesn’t.

Misprints matter only when they’re a small sample of the total output - say, a mis-strike on a coin.  Or notorious Bibles like the Wicked Bible (“thou shalt commit adultery”), where the entire production run was all misprinted but there were enough other Bibles around for the mistake to be clear.  A misprint on a model kit box will have two disadvantages on this front:

·         every one of them will be the same.  This will change if there’s more production later with the mistake corrected, but then you run into point two:

·         there isn’t a market for it.  There’s barely a market for kit boxes at all, never mind odd ones.

The best place for a duff box is in the recycling.

Edited by pigsty