Available aftermarket for the Tamiya F-14A and F-14D - what's out there currently?

Gentlemen,

I haven't had much time looking around the aftermarket for Tomcats recently and it seems there is a plethora of providers offering stuff for the F-14 and I confess I totally lost track.

I at least think I'm quite on track regarding whats out there for the other kits, but what kind of aftermarket stuff is there for Tamiyas 1/48 F-14A and F-14D.

I'm looking for stuff regardless of the versions/blocks of the Tomcat. I know Darren has done some sets for it but I am not firmly up to date on what he is offering exactly.

Could anyone quickly state what's available for the kits at the moment?

Many many thanks in advance for the time and effort.

Edited by bushande

KASL Hobby makes a lot of pieces for it, including dirty wings.

Steel Beach accessories (Darren Roberts) makes just about anything you really need for all three versions of a Tomcat.

Quickboost makes quite a few parts as well.

Furball Decals has a nice set of tail sitffeners plus all of their decals.

AMUR Reaver has a lot of really nice photoetch for the TamiyaCat.

All of those plus the above are just about anything you would need.

Eduard, their brassin line, has some good stuff like seats and wheels.  I got a set of late style F-14A wheels and they look the part to me. Also quick boost has a ton of stuff (Like gun vents, beaver tail price with the ECM and fuel dump, lights, various F-14A/B pods for under the nose like TCS and the bullet fairing) that looks good. I got some but I haven’t test fitted it yet to see how well it’ll work.  Also if you need decals I would suggest Furball aero designs or Fighter town decals.  

36 minutes ago, smokeriderdon said:

OK, i have been searching for the Steel Beach early Beaver Tail set and its out of stock everywhere I can find. Anyone have a clue? For the Tamiya kit.

That set is discontinued. Phase Hangar Resin just announced an early boat tail with early gun vent, and it's gorgeous. I was never completely happy with mine, and it was a bear to cast, so I'll gladly let them take the ball and run with it.

48 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

That set is discontinued. Phase Hangar Resin just announced an early boat tail with early gun vent, and it's gorgeous. I was never completely happy with mine, and it was a bear to cast, so I'll gladly let them take the ball and run with it.

Slacker.  :taunt:

On 1/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, bushande said:

A buddy just told me that the aires cockpits for the Tamiya kit are basically just relabelled kits originally adapted to the Hasegawa kit. It's all basically the same as ever. Can anyone confirm?

More importantly, it is absolutely not designed for the Tamiya Kit and needs a lot of work on the kit and on the main resin part to conform.

See here: https://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.modelingtime.com%2Ff-14-a-tomcat-tamiya-1-48%2F

Outch, that looks quite sobering. Might as well refrain from buying that one at the moment. I do have plenty resin pits, albeit designed for the Hase Tomcat but the way it looks I might as well save my meager bugs and adapt one of the pits I already have to the Tam. Same seems to go for the burner cans. At least reg. the detail of the open nozzles seems to be roughly on par. Might as well rather detail the Tamiya cans a little more and save my bugs.

Crap... That Phase Hangar set looks amazing. I'm gonna have to redo my VF-1 build that I finished a couple months ago. I pretty well gooned the seam on the boat tail modification and didn't do too good of a job trimming the dialectric panels.

For building a B from the D, the Steel Beach cockpit conversion is excellent and will be my goto until Tamiya drops an F-14B kit.

7 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

Crap... That Phase Hangar set looks amazing. I'm gonna have to redo my VF-1 build that I finished a couple months ago. I pretty well gooned the seam on the boat tail modification and didn't do too good of a job trimming the dialectric panels.

I thinking the same thing. I modified the Hasegawa boat tail and used it. Looks OK from a distance, but doesn't withstand close scrutiny.  Same for the gun vents. I'm on the fence about this. I'm afraid I'll mess things up more if I try to remove what I have on it already. Damn you Phase Hanger!!  :bandhead2:

8 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

For building a B from the D, the Steel Beach cockpit conversion is excellent and will be my goto until Tamiya drops an F-14B kit.

I ordered my gun vent piece to build the VF-32 MiG Killer. I’ve been impressed with Phase Hanger’s resin. I’ve bought his F-4 intakes, and F/A-18D, and F/A-18E/F intakes. Good stuff.